ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

finishing on time and not completing

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by south London postie »

They don't tell you becasue the idea is to guilt you into doing free work. They think you need the job or you don't want to look sub par but, becasue most part-timers are in the same position, they do know you have more work than is reasonable.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3730
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by yellowbelly »

lisag42 wrote:
Smith1212 wrote:Work your time and try you best that is all you can do ! But always tell your manager when leaving depot that your struggling and will call them at 12pm if no answer text saying what your likely bringing back and that's proof your following the rules of the cut off .
That’s good to know. No one has told me any of that, but I’m expected to take out extras which always push me over my finish time. I opted for a part-time job because I have commitments outside the workplace, overtime is nice but not at the expense of my family.
lisag42 - from CWU Employee's handbook:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ry+members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(there's some other good info for newbies in there too).
On completion of their preparation, where an employee believes that they may experience difficulty in completing their delivery within the authorised time allotted, they should approach their manager as soon as possible before setting out on delivery
Personally, I would clarify and confirm what I believe I will be able to complete before I go out and agree on what I can deliver. I wouldn't have a 'See how you get on and give me a ring' conversation. Manager will invariably be on way home by the time you attempt to make a phone call/send text.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

finishing on time and not completing

Post by k979aaa »

yellowbelly wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
Smith1212 wrote:Work your time and try you best that is all you can do ! But always tell your manager when leaving depot that your struggling and will call them at 12pm if no answer text saying what your likely bringing back and that's proof your following the rules of the cut off .
That’s good to know. No one has told me any of that, but I’m expected to take out extras which always push me over my finish time. I opted for a part-time job because I have commitments outside the workplace, overtime is nice but not at the expense of my family.
lisag42 - from CWU Employee's handbook:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ry+members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(there's some other good info for newbies in there too).
On completion of their preparation, where an employee believes that they may experience difficulty in completing their delivery within the authorised time allotted, they should approach their manager as soon as possible before setting out on delivery
Personally, I would clarify and confirm what I believe I will be able to complete before I go out and agree on what I can deliver. I wouldn't have a 'See how you get on and give me a ring' conversation. Manager will invariably be on way home by the time you attempt to make a phone call/send text.
Well as long as you do it is for them to manage the situation you don't need clarification nor vindication just do it and let the turds earn their bonus!
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by sirchewey »

yellowbelly wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
Smith1212 wrote:Work your time and try you best that is all you can do ! But always tell your manager when leaving depot that your struggling and will call them at 12pm if no answer text saying what your likely bringing back and that's proof your following the rules of the cut off .
That’s good to know. No one has told me any of that, but I’m expected to take out extras which always push me over my finish time. I opted for a part-time job because I have commitments outside the workplace, overtime is nice but not at the expense of my family.
lisag42 - from CWU Employee's handbook:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... ry+members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(there's some other good info for newbies in there too).
On completion of their preparation, where an employee believes that they may experience difficulty in completing their delivery within the authorised time allotted, they should approach their manager as soon as possible before setting out on delivery
Personally, I would clarify and confirm what I believe I will be able to complete before I go out and agree on what I can deliver. I wouldn't have a 'See how you get on and give me a ring' conversation. Manager will invariably be on way home by the time you attempt to make a phone call/send text.
I've always wondered how this applies to hybrid and later delivery shifts where mail is already bundled when you start your shift. There is literally no way to know how much time your delivery will take. I'm always on the wire with my times and do the job as prescribed by the company however one day with the increase in parcel deliveries will inevitably have to cut off in order to start my collection. This is the first year Ive not been able to take lapsing which is always met with looks from management as if I've just shat on their desk. If I cant see what calls I have on the frame I guess I just have to phone them once I know I cant complete but that would be about 2:30pm and wouldn't be able to return to the office until gone 3:30pm by which point every other postie has finished and sat at home. Guess it's not my issue but theres nothing in the handbook which would address this issue.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

finishing on time and not completing

Post by clashcityrocker »

sirchewey wrote:
but there's nothing in the handbook which would address this issue.
The situation is the same for a part timer who arrives to find the van already loaded.
No idea how heavy it is, attendance calls, oversize, Specials etc.
And you are paired with someone you have never worked with before.
How can you have a meaningful discussion about what is or isn't achievable when you haven't seen any of it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by Woody Guthrie »

To be honest the entire system is no longer fit for purpose, I could guess how long my delivery could take but I could be 30 minutes either side of that depending on whether people are in or not. It's nothing more than a crap shoot even with the mail in front of you.
Only dead fish follow the current
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by Woody Guthrie »

The situation is the same for a part timer who arrives to find the van already loaded.
I thought every part-timer turned up to an empty frame?
At best just the sequenced in with the D2D still in a box under the frame....
Only dead fish follow the current
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

finishing on time and not completing

Post by clashcityrocker »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
The situation is the same for a part timer who arrives to find the van already loaded.
I thought every part-timer turned up to an empty frame?
At best just the sequenced in with the D2D still in a box under the frame....
That is when they are on a HCT duty.
I am talking about van share.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

finishing on time and not completing

Post by robbertwhitton »

Woody Guthrie wrote:To be honest the entire system is no longer fit for purpose, I could guess how long my delivery could take but I could be 30 minutes either side of that depending on whether people are in or not. It's nothing more than a crap shoot even with the mail in front of you.
Bang on my friend!what an archaic way of going on,of course you’d have a better idea of if your going to complete or not as you near the end of your delivery time,and do away with all the guess work? But that’s too late to manage a plan for it to be completed by however means?? I would at best pre warn him bring it back and leave on the bench for him to deal with if he hasn’t already gone home?i really can’t be doing with a long conversation on the phone as to the reason why I can’t complete,apart from the obvious one that I have run out of time,for whatever reason,etc etc etc,but that can waste a few more minutes I guess?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

finishing on time and not completing

Post by k979aaa »

robbertwhitton wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:To be honest the entire system is no longer fit for purpose, I could guess how long my delivery could take but I could be 30 minutes either side of that depending on whether people are in or not. It's nothing more than a crap shoot even with the mail in front of you.
Bang on my friend!what an archaic way of going on,of course you’d have a better idea of if your going to complete or not as you near the end of your delivery time,and do away with all the guess work? But that’s too late to manage a plan for it to be completed by however means?? I would at best pre warn him bring it back and leave on the bench for him to deal with if he hasn’t already gone home?i really can’t be doing with a long conversation on the phone as to the reason why I can’t complete,apart from the obvious one that I have run out of time,for whatever reason,etc etc etc,but that can waste a few more minutes I guess?
Probably one they cannot be arsed about your concerns after you told them about it before hand if they did this in any army it would be dereliction of duty secondly what can they do about it they stuck their own noses in the trough and ate from it bonus culture anyone but far more than that is the I am better than you attitude some of these pr**s cannot even tie their own shoe shoelaces up never mind tell postal workers how the job should be done!
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

finishing on time and not completing

Post by korky »

to say that our master as come out and said we are aiming to be a parcel company that also does letters, i've been quite often told to leave every single standard packet inc signed for that requires a knock on a door to complete until they see a york of small packets appear after a couple of days then decide to ask someone for overtime,
the USO is a big key to maintaining our jobs, once that goes we're really up shat creek, even if we all think we already are
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

finishing on time and not completing

Post by k979aaa »

korky wrote:to say that our master as come out and said we are aiming to be a parcel company that also does letters, i've been quite often told to leave every single standard packet inc signed for that requires a knock on a door to complete until they see a york of small packets appear after a couple of days then decide to ask someone for overtime,
the USO is a big key to maintaining our jobs, once that goes we're really up shat creek, even if we all think we already are
You hit the nail on the head USO what could we do to stop it going do are job's as best as we can is one but big fish are circling around us all at the same time it does not help us we are undervalued both as a workforce and a service to the nation/business the very fact remains those in high office let this nation down before the CONDEM government and beyond. We need clarity not bombastic bullshit or platitudes of a failed heath Secretary nor the policy of dictate and control by another who seeks too inherit the earth by subterfuge and the backing of one Donald J Trump so they will sell our nation for their own ends and f**k the rest of us all.