ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fitness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Postie45 »

in general it probably takes anyone a while getting used to not only doing a 4-5 hour duty but then to do that EVERYday with limited breaks in between, its going to mount up on anyone especially those new to the job.
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by yubin282 »

i don't mean to sound so stupid but take your breaks, if you take it everyday you will notice a difference i know i do
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by postmanzach »

It’s hard at first but it should get much easier.
When I started I use to be so knackered many days I wouldn’t be able to do anything after work but sit or lie down. Partly due to the 5am start and we had to cycle sometimes 2-3 miles uphill just to start delivery. Now I find it much easier with later starts and driving. Have some days it’s tiring like yesterday walked over 15 miles doing 2 rounds but with good food water and coffee just keep walking, doesn’t bother me. Think your body just gets use to it over time. I have stopped drinking booze mostly and sometimes go to the gym so think this also helps.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by jd9442 »

It’s alreaey been established Norris doesn’t use a trolley and runs around lol
And he now complains about his legs
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by woopesh »

Took me 3 months. I remember another new starter coming upto me around week 6 saying he felt like he was going to die and I knew exactly how he felt.

Even after 3 months I never went back to feeling “normal”. I reckon constantly using your body changes your physiology. Although I felt alright, I could never achieve that relaxed, lazy, rested feeling without taking a 2 week break.

Mind you, some of the fitter guys, it didn’t bother them one jot and they would do additional walks on overtime, gym and play football on top. Its different for everyone I guess.

Do you stretch? Helps a lot.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

jd9442 wrote:It’s alreaey been established Norris doesn’t use a trolley and runs around lol
And he now complains about his legs

Not sure where I said I run around?...did you just make that up? When have I complained about carrying bags on my shoulder? - I haven't.

Also, what is this thing you like doing where you jump on your high horse as you think cornering people for not using a trolley has no come back and therefore you feel powerful as you are the king, the guru of Royal Mail trolleys?

All hail Trolley Man!

:wave Hi, I am Trolley Man - I walk 10 miles a day, 5 days a week and have no pain, no fatigue, I just push and pull my trolley for 4-5 hours a day with no impact to my legs or feet! Trolleys are like magic! :wave

Based on pretty much everyone's posts in this thread....no1 is using a trolley as they are all feeling fatigued.... as our Trolley Superhero says....use your trolleys and you will have no fatigue!


On a serious note - Bags on shoulders have rarely been a burden for me. If you have a predominantly flat walk, with well thought out loops that aren't too long, and you don't overload your bags with parcels and instead deliver them by van, then it's only the odd longer loop where the bags are a burden, but once you have completed 1/3rd of the loop - the bag has lightened up anyway. Some loops are so short you just take 2 bundles and maybe have 1 or 2 packets, sometimes you don't even need a bag and sometimes you can do half a loop, come back to the van and do the other half of that loop.

I can understand slighter built people using trolleys, or Posties that have a lot of dead walking, long loops, or steep roads to deliver to.

There was one day I did a very hilly route and I actually said to myself that this would be best done with a trolley. Steep roads, steep driveways, dead walking.... If I got put on that walk again, then especially for one particular loop on it - the trolley would be ideal.

A trolley still has to be pushed or pulled putting strain on your legs anyway. Plus you'd have to go in and out every driveway if you used a trolley - so you'd be walking further. With a bag you can squeeze through gaps in hedges, squeeze between cars, walk over lawns, step over low fences.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by DrSatan »

norris9 wrote: With a bag you can squeeze through gaps in hedges, squeeze between cars, walk over lawns, step over low fences.
While true for these examples, the moment you have an accident (yes it does happen), it will be your fault. Then you'll go down the conduct route. It's really not worth the risk.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

DrSatan wrote:
norris9 wrote: With a bag you can squeeze through gaps in hedges, squeeze between cars, walk over lawns, step over low fences.
While true for these examples, the moment you have an accident (yes it does happen), it will be your fault. Then you'll go down the conduct route. It's really not worth the risk.
Screw it if the job is this fussy, when in reality a pedestrian path is as dangerous, if not more dangerous... walking into lamp posts, other pedestrians, cars reversing out of driveways, cyclists and the small fact you are walking alongside roads and cars can come off the road and kill you. I feel safer stepping over a low fence than I do walking back out onto the sidewalk where boy racers are speeding past.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by ted_e_bear »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
norris9 wrote:my feet feel like they have been pounding concrete (which they have).
I guess going from no exercise to 4 hours walking a day is a bit crazy
If you haven't already, buy some gel insoles. It's like walking on a spongy surface and they're healthy for your legs and feet. Plus, they'll make you bounce faster down the streets. :wink: Scholl sells a good pair, but they can be pricey (about £12 depending on where you shop for them).
Insoles.jpg
Have you had the same problem? Maybe took at least 4 or 5 days off and that helped you to stop feeling so fatigued in your legs? Or are your legs feeling wrecked everyday no matter what? What time do you go to bed?
When I started I was a bit overweight, but I'm now pretty slim. Having said that, I would go to bed about 10:00 pm but couldn't fall asleep for an hour or two due to my legs throbbing from the fatigue and adrenaline. It's as if my blood is still pumping through my legs at a furious rate. Nowadays I like to take a warm foam bath with bath salts to relax my muscles.

And I joined a gym to help work on my neck and back muscles. They don't get the same workout on the job as my legs, shoulders and feet do.
Yes those Scholl insoles are great they nearly transform RM footwear into being bearable,I've tried all 3 types initially thinking the sports ones would be best but I've stuck with the "work" version,just remember to get shoes in the next size up as the insoles are quite thick.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

I can see the possibility of straining some part of your body if you are on a HCT duty but there is zero chance of any injury resulting from use of an LWT. On the other hand having a reasonably full pouch on your shoulder over time is likely to give you back and/or neck problems. Why do that to yourself when the equipment is available to use. I admit a lot of RM equipment such as the stormproof coat and some vans are complete rubbish but the LWT does what it is supposed to do.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Scama_bug
Posts: 35
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 22:43
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Scama_bug »

What does LWT stand for ? Light weight trolley ? How can you use one if you are on an HCT round?

I think if you go to the gym sometimes you won't get that many problems with your back or shoulders/neck from carrying a heavy bag.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by Celgar »

Scama_bug wrote:What does LWT stand for ? Light weight trolley ? How can you use one if you are on an HCT round?

I think if you go to the gym sometimes you won't get that many problems with your back or shoulders/neck from carrying a heavy bag.
I obviously didn't say it was possible to use an LWT on a HCT duty.

Going to the gym will not stop a heavy pouch of mail and small parcels biting into your neck, pressuring the veins in your neck, and possibly pulling your backbone out of line.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Fitness

Post by norris9 »

Keep getting night sweats since I started this Postie job. Not sure if it is related to the new job or not - maybe a sign of stress or my body telling me it's effing knackered.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by rambo1 »

grandypants wrote:Does get easier Im a 20 year man in my sixties bed about 11.30 up 5.45 no problem when I start it was 6 days 5.15 start but we finished a lot earlier than now and a lot less mail regardless from what we are told today you cant bullshit us who have been here for a long time
Jeez, how the hell can you go to bed at 11.30 and still function?
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Fitness

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

rambo1 wrote:
grandypants wrote:Does get easier Im a 20 year man in my sixties bed about 11.30 up 5.45 no problem when I start it was 6 days 5.15 start but we finished a lot earlier than now and a lot less mail regardless from what we are told today you cant bullshit us who have been here for a long time
Jeez, how the hell can you go to bed at 11.30 and still function?
bed about 11.30 up 5.45
What.gif
Good lord, yeah. I couldn't do six and a quarter hours sleep. I'm a heavy sleeper. I need at least twelve hours sleep. Most of it on the job. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.