ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Post by LaggyBand »

number one wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
number one wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:That’s the first tip toe towards planning and tracking the entire day of all delivery staff, indoor and outdoor.
No it isn’t
I reckon I’m right.
Obviously because you wrote it, doesn’t mean you are though
As they are trying to bring in delivery windows I reckon you are as well

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=76277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They already have a delivery window in place
The system in place now is a very primitive version of what shall be developed going forward.

You’ll see.
Hitcher
Posts: 1535
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Post by Hitcher »

phillpk1 wrote:we use it in our office extensively -it is very straight forward to use and yes you can use a dummy tracking number if necessary .Since training a lot of my colleagues they now use it all the time especially those who do a lot of packets and are new to the area/duty however its not perfect and there are a few issues
1. its not 100% accurate in locating the exact address especially named houses but if you don't know the area it will take you to within 20metres (I still get a few phone calls for the location of rural addresses )
2.unlike routes for collections it doesn't remove the item from the list once delivered -to do this you need to swipe address on the screen to the right and it will come up ATTENDED and move you to the next address
3.its useless for new builds -if its not on google maps then forget it
4.not really intended for run off the mill delivery duties

What I will l say is its a work in progress but its a step in the right direction especially for packet /T24 duties -use it and make your own mind up but we like it
Thanks for the information.
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Post by goneaway »

phillpk1 wrote:we use it in our office extensively -it is very straight forward to use and yes you can use a dummy tracking number if necessary .Since training a lot of my colleagues they now use it all the time especially those who do a lot of packets and are new to the area/duty however its not perfect and there are a few issues
1. its not 100% accurate in locating the exact address especially named houses but if you don't know the area it will take you to within 20metres (I still get a few phone calls for the location of rural addresses )
2.unlike routes for collections it doesn't remove the item from the list once delivered -to do this you need to swipe address on the screen to the right and it will come up ATTENDED and move you to the next address
3.its useless for new builds -if its not on google maps then forget it
4.not really intended for run off the mill delivery duties

What I will l say is its a work in progress but its a step in the right direction especially for packet /T24 duties -use it and make your own mind up but we like it
Thanks for your observations Phillipk1, I've tried it out now over a few days and yes, "work in progress" indeed, but definitely very useful on the whole for route planning when you have some drops you're not familiar with.

Some other drawbacks I've noticed:
(1) The navigation is pretty poor compared to the Waze app I use on my phone. It doesn't know a lot about illegal right hand turns and road blocks, so it will take you out of your way sometimes.
(2) You can't swipe away drops when you spot what you know is a quicker way and you choose to do some out of order.
(3) Doesn't take account of live traffic updates, like Waze, or most sat navigation apps, to route you around traffic.
(4) The robot voice is AWFUL compared to Waze.

Does anyone have a dummy 1D barcode they can post, so it can be scanned? There doesn't appear to be any other way of manually inputting an address when you need to do a drop that doesn't have a 2D barcode.
Glampostie
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Oct 2018, 20:12
Gender: Female

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Post by Glampostie »

Hi, I’ve been doing parcels for about 6 weeks now, and I use the route planner, I think it’s brilliant and makes things so much easier, it took me a week or so to get use to it. You can input a dummy tracking number it just has to be 13 numbers long and can be which ever number you chose.
goneaway
Posts: 314
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 19:50
Gender: Male

PDA Route Optimisation and Planning update

Post by goneaway »

Glampostie wrote:Hi, I’ve been doing parcels for about 6 weeks now, and I use the route planner, I think it’s brilliant and makes things so much easier, it took me a week or so to get use to it. You can input a dummy tracking number it just has to be 13 numbers long and can be which ever number you chose.
Thanks Glampostie. I just wondered if there was a dummy 1D barcode available you could quickly zap with your PDA, to save having to faff around typing 13 digits in each time to create the dummy tracking number. Anyone?