ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Post by walkthewalk »

Totally out of order, where is the union rep in all of this, a manager can say operational needs on the odd occasion but to be messed about like you have is ridiculous, phone the area rep if office rep is doing nothing :no no
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

themailman wrote:I really hate the way the job has become 'survival of those who complain/make managers life difficult the most'. :Applause Very True MM.

Decent, hardworking, really likeable guys are getting totally sh!t on by management. Nothing too unusual there, but in my view there is a bigger issue of medium to longer term employees whom the management seem to bow to at every turn. I know, it all comes back to weak management, but there are plenty guys who wouldn't have an issue with others getting messed around and stressed on a daily basis, so long as they can keep their early finish and ghost OT.
'Just do your job and work to your time', Sure, no problem, that's the only 'revenge' people can get over management, but it starts to have little impact after a while. Aren't we all entitled to a relatively stress free job, if it's good enough for some?
As per the OP asking the question along the lines of 'why always me', almost all of the time they will be told operational reasons/reasonable request. Just a shame that these 'reasonable requests' are not made to all.
Management will always try and get away with messing Posties about.... because of their Bad Management. Although using the "Over Running Procedure" often seems to be an ineffective tool it does at least protect you from working stupid OT, just to make your DO work. I believe you've got to be a bit philosophical about working in RM..... try not to worry about what others are "Getting Away With" and just try and get on with your day with minimum stress. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

hazzeem025 wrote:No it's not a shared duty. I'm the only person in an office of 70 people who gets moved about as much as this. I did my time as a reserve. If I hadn't had the cheek to be off sick and have an operation they wouldn't have lapsed my duty. Am I entitled to demand a print out of what my daily duty has been over say the last 6 months to back my case up?
As mentioned they'll be no record, as such. I suggest you "Plan" a campaign to deal with this situation. Don't expect anyone else to do the hard work for you. I'd make my own record over a period of time. Do you not record your duties, and hours worked in your Diary? I'd write/type a letter to your DOM with a list of duties covered, and dates etc, and point out that you're the only one being moved about like this. Try not to sound Bitchy, or Childish, and just make observations. Don't mention names, or personalties, use Duty Numbers instead. i.e "The Duty Holder on Duty 20 hasn't been asked to do another Duty for over 12 months. I am Senior to him, and would like the opportunity to deliver my own Duty". This sounds much better than, "You're always messing me about, you never ask Fred to swap duties, and I've been here longer than him... That's not fair" Get the idea. It's a bit like writing a CV, spend some time on it. Supporting evidence is always important... not just rumours, or hearsay. :hmmmm

If your DOM doesn't do anything about your "Request"..........Firstly approach your Unit Rep for support....... then approach the Area Delivery Rep and get him involved. You've basically just got to build a case that come across as sensible and fair, all the time stressing how this will avoid discrimination, or make a fairer work balance in the DO, you choose the approach. After taking advice from your CWU Reps you may well feel like putting in a Grievance, but I always think it's best to start of "Nicely".... you can always get "Nasty" later on. Good Luck! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Post by Seymour Buts »

aiden01 wrote:
postietom wrote:They consider all duties the same, therefore doing other duties is considered a reasonable request I'd have thought. Sh!t but that's the crack here I guess. Could you not sign for a different duty?
With 26 years service why should he.. who's to say if he signs for another duty same s**t wont happen.
I agree it's sh!t and unfair, but if it's not his duty it's somebody else getting shafted. Sign for one not too close to the office.
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Never on own duty, grounds for grievance?

Post by hazzeem025 »

Thanks for the sensible replies. I've spoken to the management several times over the last two years about the situation, so they are more than aware of how I feel about it. And they have done nothing about it. In fact things have just got worse. Telling me I'm moved off my duty because I can do the job, whereas person A or B is useless (that's the managers words, both of them have said this to me!)is absolute blatant discrimination. What other way is there of looking at it after the management have said this to me? I'd love to sign for another duty but there are none available and quite frankly why should I? Nobody else is in the position of having to sign for another duty because of being kicked off their duty all the time! 2 years of the 'operational needs' excuse has worn thin. Let me just emphasise that my duty would not have been lapsed if I hadn't needed an inguinal hernia operation two years ago.