ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
spartakus
Posts: 14
Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 16:36
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by spartakus »

cookiewise wrote:Two questions:
1. Has anyone actually been trained in the use of these other than simply scanning parcels as delivered?
2. Does anyone know if managers use the pda to monitor your speed and route (etc) when out delivering?
1. Yes
2. Yes, But not realtime. RoyalMail collecting all GPS data from PDA. Location, your speed as well as if you are over speed limit(depends on what software they are using).

Once I lost a parcel, DOM find it where I scanned that parcel next day.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

The PDA

Post by cookiewise »

The PDA clearly has massive capability, but i've only been shown how to scan a letter/parcel. No formal training at all in any of the duties. The damn machine crashes all the time / freezes mid-use and i need to switch it off then on again. None of the machines in the DO still have their pen so customers need to use their finger.

One thing I've discovered is the huge number of letters that are scannable when normally you wouldn't expect it as they have no label with "tracked" and a myriad barcodes and 2d square things on them. Should I be scanning all of these? There are so many that it would seriously slow me down if I scanned each one.

I had one letter with no indication that it needed to be scanned, but I zapped a tiny barcode just for fun and it turned out to need a signature! It wasn't an official "signed for" with all the sticky barcodes, nothing like that. Is this RM trying to catch me out?

And on the subject of chaos in the workplace, staff were only told on Saturday that Monday was a holiday and the DO was closed. I came back from my round to find out Tuesday was my day off. A wee bit of notice would have been nice. Also, observing the 1 in 6 Saturday off has been bypassed once again as my day off the week before was Friday. Sneaky eh?
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by glass joe »

One day PDAs will have flagging software in them like Amazon staff have. I heard PDAs actuals are pretty rubbish atm. Not heard them being used against postman atm.
solway16
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 19:08
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by solway16 »

cookiewise wrote:The PDA clearly has massive capability, but i've only been shown how to scan a letter/parcel. No formal training at all in any of the duties. The damn machine crashes all the time / freezes mid-use and i need to switch it off then on again. None of the machines in the DO still have their pen so customers need to use their finger.

One thing I've discovered is the huge number of letters that are scannable when normally you wouldn't expect it as they have no label with "tracked" and a myriad barcodes and 2d square things on them. Should I be scanning all of these? There are so many that it would seriously slow me down if I scanned each one.

I had one letter with no indication that it needed to be scanned, but I zapped a tiny barcode just for fun and it turned out to need a signature! It wasn't an official "signed for" with all the sticky barcodes, nothing like that. Is this RM trying to catch me out?

And on the subject of chaos in the workplace, staff were only told on Saturday that Monday was a holiday and the DO was closed. I came back from my round to find out Tuesday was my day off. A wee bit of notice would have been nice. Also, observing the 1 in 6 Saturday off has been bypassed once again as my day off the week before was Friday. Sneaky eh?
My PDA freezes and is unresponsive regularly now.
After the recent software updates it does it more often - always seems to be same time of day when it happens, between 9 and 10.
Quickest way I found to reset is to hold the top 2 side buttons down and power button at same time for around 5 seconds.
Reboots and no more issues for that day.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by scoobymunster »

glass joe wrote:One day PDAs will have flagging software in them like Amazon staff have. I heard PDAs actuals are pretty rubbish atm. Not heard them being used against postman atm.
I don't think they are allowed to use PDA Actuals for conduct cases yet, but the data is there for it. Our DOM regularly mentions he knows who is hiding etc.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by SpacePhoenix »

scoobymunster wrote:
glass joe wrote:One day PDAs will have flagging software in them like Amazon staff have. I heard PDAs actuals are pretty rubbish atm. Not heard them being used against postman atm.
I don't think they are allowed to use PDA Actuals for conduct cases yet, but the data is there for it. Our DOM regularly mentions he knows who is hiding etc.
Probably not directly, using the data they could choose a place to observe the suspect postie then they'd have witness evidence which AFAIK can be used in a conduct case
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

The PDA

Post by cookiewise »

What does Adhoc delivery mean? It keeps coming up on my pda and I keep hitting the back button to reach "pending" as that's where I understand I should scan the parcel from. Hope this makes sense!
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

The PDA

Post by GT85 »

Adhoc Delivery allows you to manually input the barcode number if you are unable to scan it for some reason.
We're all here because we're not all there
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by wacko74 »

Has anyone ever had to actually use the ''report an incident'' function that inadvertently comes up at least 10 times a day?

(I still don't even know what it is that I'm pressing to make it appear)
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by yellowbelly »

wacko74 wrote:Has anyone ever had to actually use the ''report an incident'' function that inadvertently comes up at least 10 times a day?

(I still don't even know what it is that I'm pressing to make it appear)
I think it's when you've got a postbox collection to do on your PDA and you inadvertently select the postbox collection manually before you've scanned the barcode
in the box when you do the collection (when it normally just disappears into the ether).
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

The PDA

Post by fb1969 »

Mine has managed to report an incident and send the information off, while just sitting in the pouch touching the sides :Very Happy

Today it locked up twice - once just before a Special that I had to AdHoc, then rebooted it only for it to happen a couple of hours later before a Tracked.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
fren
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 12:41
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by fren »

notsure.com wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
peterg wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:1. Nope.
2. Nope.

A few of us in my DO noticed a new option - Leave in a safe place. Great, but when you click, it goes on about taking a photograph. Waste of time, most people just click delivered now.

you'll be fine........until the gaffer calls you into the office to prove what you did with the parcel that your customer says "wasn't delivered"............
1. Does the recipient get the message that it's 'Left in safe place - Shed' or 'In the box behind the garage'
2. Does the recipient and/or sender get the photo or is it only released and used as evidence if there's a non-delivery claim?
1. The only message you get is that it has been left in a safe place. No specification as to where.
2. No. The customer cannot see the picture. I guess there is a way managers can access them if there was to be a non-delivery claim.
It's changed this month - customers see the photo online now as part of the tracking, and what's entered on the PDA as 'the safeplace' (i.e. 'in the shed') is displayed both on the tracking and as part of the automated SMS & email updates.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The PDA

Post by k979aaa »

fren wrote:
notsure.com wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
peterg wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:1. Nope.
2. Nope.

A few of us in my DO noticed a new option - Leave in a safe place. Great, but when you click, it goes on about taking a photograph. Waste of time, most people just click delivered now.

you'll be fine........until the gaffer calls you into the office to prove what you did with the parcel that your customer says "wasn't delivered"............
1. Does the recipient get the message that it's 'Left in safe place - Shed' or 'In the box behind the garage'
2. Does the recipient and/or sender get the photo or is it only released and used as evidence if there's a non-delivery claim?
1. The only message you get is that it has been left in a safe place. No specification as to where.
2. No. The customer cannot see the picture. I guess there is a way managers can access them if there was to be a non-delivery claim.
It's changed this month - customers see the photo online now as part of the tracking, and what's entered on the PDA as 'the safeplace' (i.e. 'in the shed') is displayed both on the tracking and as part of the automated SMS & email updates.
But if it is not locked it is not safe is it!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by Celgar »

cookiewise wrote:The PDA clearly has massive capability, but i've only been shown how to scan a letter/parcel. No formal training at all in any of the duties. The damn machine crashes all the time / freezes mid-use and i need to switch it off then on again. None of the machines in the DO still have their pen so customers need to use their finger.

One thing I've discovered is the huge number of letters that are scannable when normally you wouldn't expect it as they have no label with "tracked" and a myriad barcodes and 2d square things on them. Should I be scanning all of these? There are so many that it would seriously slow me down if I scanned each one.

I had one letter with no indication that it needed to be scanned, but I zapped a tiny barcode just for fun and it turned out to need a signature! It wasn't an official "signed for" with all the sticky barcodes, nothing like that. Is this RM trying to catch me out?

And on the subject of chaos in the workplace, staff were only told on Saturday that Monday was a holiday and the DO was closed. I came back from my round to find out Tuesday was my day off. A wee bit of notice would have been nice. Also, observing the 1 in 6 Saturday off has been bypassed once again as my day off the week before was Friday. Sneaky eh?
There are lots of letters and magazines with odd shaped bits of square & rectangular barcode that can be read by our PDA but they will mostly not register on the system. Generally the only ones you need to 'zap' are the 2D barcodes that are squares formed of four smaller squares. They will usually have a line of numbers & some letters underneath that can be typed in using the 'adhoc delivery' option if the square is damaged and will not register. They will often be printed on white squares of adhesive paper affixed to the parcel and are easy to spot. Ask another postie or your DOM, union rep, or coach if you are unsure about scanning items and using the PDA. It really isn't that difficult to use the PDA.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

The PDA

Post by Janet Brum »

Cookiewise, this topic might help you with what to scan or not: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 1&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;