ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Well good for you Tony. After a few weeks of doing the job right taking your breaks and just working your contracted hours all the pressure lifts. Any issues with excessive workload that can't be done is a problem for the manager which is where it should be.
Familiarise yourself with the cutting-off procedure.
Familiarise yourself with the cutting-off procedure.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Worst job ever is probably the wrong way to put it.... More like biggest balls- hiters ever and worst management ever. I get and agree with every point - I started really digging my heals in at about 8 months - making sure I covered my back always. At 10 months I concreted my heels in and annoyed the majority of others in the office. But I don't care, if they want me to work o/t then they can give me a better contract where I get paid more leave, they can also stick to the rotational week off - which I've never had. They should just stop lying about everything ! Now I'm off sick (legitimately, on full pay - but I'll not rush back, maybe just look for another job) I have dignity.
-
tony67
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
You are absolutely right, it isn't the worst job ever in fact I really enjoy the job when im out on delivery, im getting fitter and fitter as each week passes but I do have a problem with management lying, taking the piss and worst of all not paying for the work I do without a battle.azza30 wrote:Worst job ever is probably the wrong way to put it.... More like biggest balls- hiters ever and worst management ever. I get and agree with every point - I started really digging my heals in at about 8 months - making sure I covered my back always. At 10 months I concreted my heels in and annoyed the majority of others in the office. But I don't care, if they want me to work o/t then they can give me a better contract where I get paid more leave, they can also stick to the rotational week off - which I've never had. They should just stop lying about everything ! Now I'm off sick (legitimately, on full pay - but I'll not rush back, maybe just look for another job) I have dignity.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
They're hardly likely to tell you the unvarnished truth at interview , othewise none of us would be here! I just go with the flow these days mostly, managers are complete arses with zero life experience and absolutely no managerial competence ,to speak of. Don't let it get to you , it will consume you completely and mentally break you.
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Is there many offices with a local union rep now. my office hasn't got one. Area rep , how many know who they are.
-
mr hil.
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
You have been misinformed about never getting a Saturday off, you are entitled to the same arrangement the rest of the office get, so if they get one in six then you should too. Our reserves have their own rotation of Saturdays off so that they are not disadvantaged. They often work the Saturdays but can insist if required (One had a wedding to attend and insisted on his Saturday off). The only thing our reserves do not always get is the "long Weekend" that regulars get due to their other days off are changed as needed. The reserve role you are in should have been advertised within the office if it was a vacant duty, if you did not apply for it then you are not technically a reserve
-
whatisgoingon
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Sep 2018, 18:40
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Why the hell don't we tell Panorama to investigate this company. The skimming overtime from people is THEFT!!!!!
This is surely illegal and it's going on nationwide. The Union is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT!
The very fact that the overtime sheet is in the manager's office and we have to go in there to claim can be INTIMIDATING.
This company seriously disgusted me!
Lapsing makes people go over there time and work into their break. They are hoping you won't claim overtime for 10 or 15 mins a day and if you do they are not bloody paying it to you!
This is an absolute disgrace!
I'm going to write to Panorama
This is surely illegal and it's going on nationwide. The Union is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT!
The very fact that the overtime sheet is in the manager's office and we have to go in there to claim can be INTIMIDATING.
This company seriously disgusted me!
Lapsing makes people go over there time and work into their break. They are hoping you won't claim overtime for 10 or 15 mins a day and if you do they are not bloody paying it to you!
This is an absolute disgrace!
I'm going to write to Panorama
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
I think most people who have worked in other industries or organised companies find the entire RM experience adisfunctional hap hazard experience. I could not believe it when I started. So many gutless colleagues, selfish and uninterested in others treated poorly. I am all right jacks in abundance. Such a large membership union oblivious to the devious actions of RMs unfair treatment of people, it is disgraceful. A union that sold out all future members T&Cs, hard fought by former colleagues for short term appeasement to RM - driving allowance as an example !
There is no consistency in work practices from office to office. Most DOMs are twisted sadistic characters who only see their staff as tools to do a job with as little man management skills in the true sense of the word as possible, while enhancing THEIR corrupt bonuses.They were never selected for their management capabilities. They cannot comprehend that working for RM is only a job and they expect the staff to dig them out of the s**t- mainly down to their own incompetence - at every option. They cannot accept people have a life out with their contracted hours, they only see staff as donkeys for putting printed paper throw a letter box ! Sad but true.
Do not expect fairness because they do not have a clue about treating people with respect or dignity their only interest is focused on clearing an office and screwing the staff at every opportunity especially on OT, holidays/days off etc.
There is no consistency in work practices from office to office. Most DOMs are twisted sadistic characters who only see their staff as tools to do a job with as little man management skills in the true sense of the word as possible, while enhancing THEIR corrupt bonuses.They were never selected for their management capabilities. They cannot comprehend that working for RM is only a job and they expect the staff to dig them out of the s**t- mainly down to their own incompetence - at every option. They cannot accept people have a life out with their contracted hours, they only see staff as donkeys for putting printed paper throw a letter box ! Sad but true.
Do not expect fairness because they do not have a clue about treating people with respect or dignity their only interest is focused on clearing an office and screwing the staff at every opportunity especially on OT, holidays/days off etc.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Ha,i've done 30+ years mate and had a ding dong only this morn with a lino over booking extended delivery!postslippete wrote: the truth is on a local level they always look after the chosen ones. They are either 1. guys with over 30+ years experience (also known as the untouchables)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Hi Tony 67 ........ Sorry you're having such a shitty introduction to the Company. You're not the only Postie in this situation, just have a trawl back through some of the Older Posts on this site. Well done for finding us, you'll be able to get a lot of helpful info on dealing with the Incompetant Management that this Business likes to employ.
I would suggest several things:
1) Keep a Diary of your hours (and anything else that's relevant i.e DOM asked me at minimum notice to change duties, My day off was changed without asking me etc). Check your worked hours against your payslip and bring it up with the DOM immediately. IF he doesn't sort it for the following payslip give him a written request to sort it (and keep a record for yourself, easy enough on a PC). You may end up putting in a Grievance Report against him if he doesn't sort it. Your Unit Rep "should" be able to help, if he doesn't get the phone number of your Area Delivery Rep and tell him. IMO most DOMs try it on with New Starters and try and con them over their overtime.
It saves their budget, makes them look good and is dispicable. If a DOM is not going to pay you he should explain why, not just wait until your pay's short.
2) Sort out your Days Off. You may be a Reserve but you still deserve to know what day you've got off in plenty of time to make appointments etc. DOMs like to mess Reserves about and like to quote "Operational Necessity" as a cover for their lack of planning. If your DOMs organised (Ha Ha) he should know which duties your covering and in theory you could also have a rotating day off. A favourite DOM trick is to give you every Tuesday Off, because it's a light day. I suggest you discuss this with him and explain you'd like a fair deal. Words like "Discrimination" often help to achieve a positive outcome.
Whatever the outcome....... insist that you have your 1 in 6 Saturdays off; You're entitled to it.
3) Use the Over Running Procedure: NOBODY can make you work any longer than your contracted hours. (This includes Lapsing/Absorbtion. You are only required to do this IF you can deliver it within your duty time) If you need to be finished on time tell the DOM and ask him what he wants to do. It's his problem not yours. I have used this regularly when I've been put on duties that everyone knows are too big. DOMS will always put New Starters on the Nightmare Duties because they know they're trying to impress and create a good impression.
We use a catch phrase "Just work properly" so make sure you're starting/finishing on time (don't come in early for free) take your allocated Meal Relief, or claim it (40 mins if you're covering a FT duty) prep your Households in Company Time, normally before throwing off, (don't do them in your own time) and deliver the mail as you've been trained. No Running or Cutting Corners. Basically you want to reflecting the ammount of time your duty takes, not trying to make it look easy, and be claiming for all Royal Mail work that you've done that day.
Good Luck hope things improve for you.
I would suggest several things:
1) Keep a Diary of your hours (and anything else that's relevant i.e DOM asked me at minimum notice to change duties, My day off was changed without asking me etc). Check your worked hours against your payslip and bring it up with the DOM immediately. IF he doesn't sort it for the following payslip give him a written request to sort it (and keep a record for yourself, easy enough on a PC). You may end up putting in a Grievance Report against him if he doesn't sort it. Your Unit Rep "should" be able to help, if he doesn't get the phone number of your Area Delivery Rep and tell him. IMO most DOMs try it on with New Starters and try and con them over their overtime.
2) Sort out your Days Off. You may be a Reserve but you still deserve to know what day you've got off in plenty of time to make appointments etc. DOMs like to mess Reserves about and like to quote "Operational Necessity" as a cover for their lack of planning. If your DOMs organised (Ha Ha) he should know which duties your covering and in theory you could also have a rotating day off. A favourite DOM trick is to give you every Tuesday Off, because it's a light day. I suggest you discuss this with him and explain you'd like a fair deal. Words like "Discrimination" often help to achieve a positive outcome.
3) Use the Over Running Procedure: NOBODY can make you work any longer than your contracted hours. (This includes Lapsing/Absorbtion. You are only required to do this IF you can deliver it within your duty time) If you need to be finished on time tell the DOM and ask him what he wants to do. It's his problem not yours. I have used this regularly when I've been put on duties that everyone knows are too big. DOMS will always put New Starters on the Nightmare Duties because they know they're trying to impress and create a good impression.
We use a catch phrase "Just work properly" so make sure you're starting/finishing on time (don't come in early for free) take your allocated Meal Relief, or claim it (40 mins if you're covering a FT duty) prep your Households in Company Time, normally before throwing off, (don't do them in your own time) and deliver the mail as you've been trained. No Running or Cutting Corners. Basically you want to reflecting the ammount of time your duty takes, not trying to make it look easy, and be claiming for all Royal Mail work that you've done that day.
Good Luck hope things improve for you.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
supertouring
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 21:47
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Been in 7 week and I find the job great. Coming from a professional IT background, the level of incompetence is negligible compared to management I have worked with previously and the demands on my personal time can be counted in minutes rather than days/weekends/weeks.
The physical job is tough, but when out there is no micro management and when the job is done, it is done for the day. No late night or weekend end work/travel etc
Horses for courses, but maybe I landed lucky where I am.
The physical job is tough, but when out there is no micro management and when the job is done, it is done for the day. No late night or weekend end work/travel etc
Horses for courses, but maybe I landed lucky where I am.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Totally totally agree with you,I cannot believe this is still going on,it was when I was a postie and I have been left a while now. Royal Mail you are a disgrace and you should be ashamed how your posties are treated,unless of course you are one of the favourites,but I wont go there!whatisgoingon wrote:Why the hell don't we tell Panorama to investigate this company. The skimming overtime from people is THEFT!!!!!
This is surely illegal and it's going on nationwide. The Union is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT!
The very fact that the overtime sheet is in the manager's office and we have to go in there to claim can be INTIMIDATING.
This company seriously disgusted me!
Lapsing makes people go over there time and work into their break. They are hoping you won't claim overtime for 10 or 15 mins a day and if you do they are not bloody paying it to you!
This is an absolute disgrace!
I'm going to write to Panorama
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
Seven weeks ! Still in the honeymoon period.supertouring wrote:Been in 7 week and I find the job great. Coming from a professional IT background, the level of incompetence is negligible compared to management I have worked with previously and the demands on my personal time can be counted in minutes rather than days/weekends/weeks.
The physical job is tough, but when out there is no micro management and when the job is done, it is done for the day. No late night or weekend end work/travel etc
Horses for courses, but maybe I landed lucky where I am.
I do accept many have had jobs that required drop of the hat short notice needs, such as you had.
Your contract would clearly outline those requirements.
In time you will experience many down sides to your RM contract. You will be expected to be flexible and mostly for the benefit of RM NOT yours. You will be fine if you work for no payment for working out with your RM contract, go in early daily of your own back, work until all work is completed outwith contracted hours, endure the endless intimidation and never get holidays/days off when you need them ! Let us know in 6 months time if all is still well, of course you may be lucky to have a fair minded boss. In RM they are in short supply.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
On a 30 hour contract you would be entitled to 30min a day breaktony67 wrote:It stinks, thing is if i had been told the truth at the interview stage i certainly would not have handed my notice in with my last job, i thought the less hours would afford me more family time which in a way still does but it does mean i will see my other kids alot less because I have to work every Sat and we wont even be able to book our usual family holiday next year in the school hols. From today i am working my contracted hours and will be taking my 20 mins, think il be very unpopular with the other posties who im on the rounds with because none as yet take the break but do end 20 mins earlier, if when the 6 months come i get told no thanks, so be it i wont be taken the p**s of!Chris413 wrote:Know how exactly how you feel, I am about your age and sick to the back teeth with the antics of this company and it's managers. Half way through the trial and I wish I could just tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. But like you it's almost impossible to find another job in my area. I am on a 35 hour contract but I go in early because if I don't I know I will be still on the route at tea time. Everyday 1 to 2+ hours overtime which I don't want, being treat like a child by a pedantic manager at my age ffs. Being told when I can take my last weeks holiday this year, and not even getting onto the subject of next year yet. The public realy need to know how bad this company is to work for.
-
supertouring
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 21:47
- Gender: Male
8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!
So does the honeymoon end at week 8, as per the op?tommyrep wrote:Seven weeks ! Still in the honeymoon period.supertouring wrote:Been in 7 week and I find the job great. Coming from a professional IT background, the level of incompetence is negligible compared to management I have worked with previously and the demands on my personal time can be counted in minutes rather than days/weekends/weeks.
The physical job is tough, but when out there is no micro management and when the job is done, it is done for the day. No late night or weekend end work/travel etc
Horses for courses, but maybe I landed lucky where I am.
I do accept many have had jobs that required drop of the hat short notice needs, such as you had.
Your contract would clearly outline those requirements.
In time you will experience many down sides to your RM contract. You will be expected to be flexible and mostly for the benefit of RM NOT yours. You will be fine if you work for no payment for working out with your RM contract, go in early daily of your own back, work until all work is completed outwith contracted hours, endure the endless intimidation and never get holidays/days off when you need them ! Let us know in 6 months time if all is still well, of course you may be lucky to have a fair minded boss. In RM they are in short supply.
How do you know what my contract said such that you can dismiss my comment?
I have had all the holidays I have requested so far.