My wife is on collections in the afternoon. She usually has the pick of several vans, but half the time a lot of them are unroadworthy, so she fills in a fault docket (s). If the manager is about she gives said fault docket (s) to him.
The following afternoon the vans she's logged off the previous day are still in the yard unfixed. I've told her to point blank refuse to take a faulty van, and on this point at least, she listens.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Weekly van checks
-
GT750rider
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Last edited by GT750rider on 22 Sep 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Not a single bonnet is lifted in our yard, I kid you not
Closest I've ever seen to anyone doing a vehicle check is noticing a tyre is flat.
Closest I've ever seen to anyone doing a vehicle check is noticing a tyre is flat.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
The vehicle should be checked daily. If it's checked on a Monday, and you have an accident on Wednesday, there's no comeback. All it takes is a dicky indicator light.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Weekly van checks
Its important for you to check the van as its you that's liable on the day, if you take it out while unroadworthy, its YOU that's goingbto cop the points and fines not the previous driver, he's got away with it.
The police or DVSA will only deal with what's in front of them and whoever driving not what happened yesterday.
Do your checks, I do a comprehensive weekly check every day just to cover my back, even if its not due.
The police or DVSA will only deal with what's in front of them and whoever driving not what happened yesterday.
Do your checks, I do a comprehensive weekly check every day just to cover my back, even if its not due.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
You are also supposed to fill in the line for that day in the log book to say you have done the daily/weekly check BEFORE you leave the DO. If the plod look and this hasn't been written in you can supposedly be done for that as well.NWpostie wrote:Its important for you to check the van as its you that's liable on the day, if you take it out while unroadworthy, its YOU that's goingbto cop the points and fines not the previous driver, he's got away with it.
The police or DVSA will only deal with what's in front of them and whoever driving not what happened yesterday.
Do your checks, I do a comprehensive weekly check every day just to cover my back, even if its not due.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Weekly van checks
If I understand you correctly, the old bill won't charge you for not completing the log book, but the firm can be done (and then they'll do you I suppose) for failing to have a system in place, or not enforcing it enough, if they are unable to identify with any accuracy who the driver of a particular vehicle is on a particular day. In this case, it would be the manager who would be held responsible.Celgar wrote:You are also supposed to fill in the line for that day in the log book to say you have done the daily/weekly check BEFORE you leave the DO. If the plod look and this hasn't been written in you can supposedly be done for that as well.NWpostie wrote:Its important for you to check the van as its you that's liable on the day, if you take it out while unroadworthy, its YOU that's goingbto cop the points and fines not the previous driver, he's got away with it.
The police or DVSA will only deal with what's in front of them and whoever driving not what happened yesterday.
Do your checks, I do a comprehensive weekly check every day just to cover my back, even if its not due.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
glass joe
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
Rarely seen a van check since job and share been brought it, if you damage your van in our office unless the damage was OTT, it would not get reported. loads of vans have damage. my friend who works for asda food delivery has to do them every shift.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Weekly van checks
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If I understand you correctly, the old bill won't charge you for not completing the log book, but the firm can be done (and then they'll do you I suppose) for failing to have a system in place, or not enforcing it enough, if they are unable to identify with any accuracy who the driver of a particular vehicle is on a particular day. In this case, it would be the manager who would be held responsible.Celgar wrote:You are also supposed to fill in the line for that day in the log book to say you have done the daily/weekly check BEFORE you leave the DO. If the plod look and this hasn't been written in you can supposedly be done for that as well.NWpostie wrote:Its important for you to check the van as its you that's liable on the day, if you take it out while unroadworthy, its YOU that's goingbto cop the points and fines not the previous driver, he's got away with it.
The police or DVSA will only deal with what's in front of them and whoever driving not what happened yesterday.
Do your checks, I do a comprehensive weekly check every day just to cover my back, even if its not due.
Celgar.
For clarity. I do tick the boxes which says duty/daily\weekly as required AND the starting mileage before starting duty.
Just so you know and not assume.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Weekly van checks
No offence intended NWpostie. Going by the comments in this post and what I sometimes see in our office the van checks are quite often not done properly and occasionally not done at all. I always keep an eye on the basics on my van as it uses more oil than it should. It probably has an oil leak somewhere or maybe it just needs replacing. I was just pointing out something that not everyone might know about.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Weekly van checks
It takes two weeks just to service them now no wonder we are not allowed to log them off just a guy turns up next day with a van an a set of tie clips and WD40 an air compressor and bobs you uncle and it's safe to drive apparently somehow I don't think safety is paramount in the RM just fleet contracts and servicing the cars of people on my bundle and other fleets like British Gas Hertz and Europe Car. Sorry but have no confidence in them anymore! It takes SKODA UK three hour's to pick up drop off for MOT and service and they clean it inside and out and they pick up and drop off!