ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working hour expectations.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Walking boots
Posts: 26
Joined: 12 May 2017, 21:30
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Walking boots »

Pheonix1 wrote:
Walking boots wrote:I’m on a 28 hour contract, the hours I work are very different to what was advertised and told they would be, my start times are later, in my office the management seem to prefer overtime to happen at the end of the shift rather than the start.
Cool, so similar hours to me. What time do you usually start?

I see, why do they prefer that?
The hours vary each day, I start between 8.40 and 9.15, finishing times are between 1.30-2.30, I guess they prefer overtime at the end as a cost saving thing, they don’t want to pay extra in the mornings if it’s not really needed, in my office they don’t pressurise you to stay on but they do ask quite often
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Celgar »

Pheonix1 wrote:Hello Everybody,

Just been given a start date recently and have found this forum both supportive and informative so would firstly like to say thank you to you all.

This is my first post and was hoping someone could give me a rough idea what to expect. Granted, I understand each office is different.

I am on a 30 hour contract. 8-2. Now having read a lot of comments on here I know a lot of people struggle to complete the requirements for the day.

As I live only 5 mins away I would have bo problem starting an hour early to help finish on time as long as the manager would allow me to do so. Is this common? And is it beneficial?

Many thanks
In the delivery office I work in we have made a concerted effort to hold onto full time duties so we don't suffer the problems that part time duties bring. We have four day duties which could be considered part time but they do the IPS, prep, redirections, and delivery themselves like the rest of us.
You are likely going to find that the six hours per day is not going to be enough paid duty time to get the job done. You may find there is a reluctance on their part to pay you for any overtime you do. The walk should be prepped and the redirections should have been done leaving you to just do the bundling up, loading the van or trolley, and head out on delivery. Don't be surprised to find that this hasn't been done and there being an implied expectation that you should do the prep as well unpaid. You may also find that, if you are teamed up with another postie, that they may be a full time postie which can result in more problems.
The above are common problems reported quite often on this site by part time Postie's. It's up to you how you deal with these issues if they arise. I'm not trying to put you off the job which I actually still enjoy. It's just the ******** management at the top running down and messing up the business that ****** me off.

PS Most posties do join the CWU union mainly for the reason of protection if RM accuse you of something you haven't done. So it's probably wise to do so.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.