ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by robbertwhitton »

As usual with this firm it varys from office to office,our guys that get loaned out never have an issue with overtime,if you do extra you get extra,how refreshing!, it confirms just how we are getting shafted when they come back and tell there story,to which the boss simply says well transfer to that office then!, a well presented grown up well managed reply!, priceless,you would think they would grow a pair and stand up for us,and be allowed to manage his office and justify any overtime that’s needed
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by Interested-seeker »

Tell him you will be cutting off next Wednesday.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by postslippete »

I rarely work overtime for the company now. I don't bother coming in early on overtime nor do I work too much past my time either. I can quite understand the OP's frustration because I know there are a lot of posties that don't mind working an hour or so past their finish time. Because of increasing workloads i.e. bigger duties, more packets, dodgy work-plans etc, working past your time often appears to be the norm these days. And something tells me with office budgets and managers under pressure to cut costs that this is something that could get worse.

The fact that the over-running procedure is still designed to make it more difficult for posties to cut off plus the fact that managers are supposed to manage rather than deliver just exacerbates the situation for us posties.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by lightningpostman »

go to union rep and file a grievance, cos if he gets away with it once be sure he will play you again
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by rehabron »

number one wrote:
rehabron wrote:
mozsupportsrovers wrote:Hi, just a quick one question.

Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?

He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.

I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand

Thanks in advance
On Tuesday did you inform your manager that you finished early and the manager allowed you to go without informing you that the early finish in hours had to be repaid at a later date?
Totally irrelevant
The 30minutes flexibilty agreement is based on a SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS basis which means that when it is quiet you can finish unless manager finds other work for you which is their right or allows you to go home without informing you that the 30 minutes are expected to be paid back on a busier day then same manger should pay your overtime. If the decision to leave early was taken by you without consent don't you think it only fair that the same time is given back or do you want your cake and eat it therfore my question in my opinion is not totally irrelevant.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by number one »

If you finish early you go home, if you go over you book overtime. Thats just how it is. I’m full time but some weeks only work 30hrs. Other weeks I get paid for 50hrs but only work 40.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by miles_peters »

your manager is a thief.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by Postie45 »

I think if you like to leave early sometimes and then every so often you go over a little bit i wouldnt bother complaining. The swings and roundabouts idea is usually accepted by most as it heavily benefits the postie rather than the business in terms of hours worked. However if you feel youd rather just work to time everyday or you rarely finish early (yet you already have stated otherwise) then go ahead and take it further.
It sounds like your manager is starting to get tight on this, so if you do claim the OT, he`d have to break down and say ok fine, heres your 30 mins, but from then on he might make it more difficult for anyone to leave early, and have them do menial tasks or just sit in the office until finish time in case any work turns up.
mozsupportsrovers
Posts: 25
Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by mozsupportsrovers »

Postie45 wrote:I think if you like to leave early sometimes and then every so often you go over a little bit i wouldnt bother complaining. The swings and roundabouts idea is usually accepted by most as it heavily benefits the postie rather than the business in terms of hours worked. However if you feel youd rather just work to time everyday or you rarely finish early (yet you already have stated otherwise) then go ahead and take it further.
It sounds like your manager is starting to get tight on this, so if you do claim the OT, he`d have to break down and say ok fine, heres your 30 mins, but from then on he might make it more difficult for anyone to leave early, and have them do menial tasks or just sit in the office until finish time in case any work turns up.

Thanks for the reply.

I usually do let it go if say I go 10 mins over, as like you say it's swings and roundabouts sometimes.

But in this case it's the manor in which I've been treated is the problem.
The partner I was working with on the day I left early hasn't even been spoken to or told they owe any time back. So therefore I feel as if I am being picked on.


To update all, today I went to the DOM with the intention of trying to talk to him and explain what some of you have said here advice wise.

But no. I was shot down within seconds with, "the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned"

Okay then, grievance process it is over what, a fiver??
Penny pinching at its worst. Maybe they've all been told to save a few quid for the pot for this OFCOM fine.

Thanks all again
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by rehabron »

Postie45 wrote:I think if you like to leave early sometimes and then every so often you go over a little bit i wouldnt bother complaining. The swings and roundabouts idea is usually accepted by most as it heavily benefits the postie rather than the business in terms of hours worked. However if you feel youd rather just work to time everyday or you rarely finish early (yet you already have stated otherwise) then go ahead and take it further.
It sounds like your manager is starting to get tight on this, so if you do claim the OT, he`d have to break down and say ok fine, heres your 30 mins, but from then on he might make it more difficult for anyone to leave early, and have them do menial tasks or just sit in the office until finish time in case any work turns up.

spot on
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by miles_peters »

your manager has stolen money from you, its as good as mugging you in a street, if your rep wont help get the area rep involved. cant believe this! what a crook!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We've got a Stand In Manager this week, one of those Postie turned Manager types. :thumbdown Had a really HEAVY day today, went in to book the overtime (No Sign of a manager) and there's a little note on top of the Overtime Sheet, "Please remember to deduct any time you made up finishing early, on a very light Tuesday, from any overtime you're claiming today". I thought WTF! Just what you want to read after a very busy day. :mad

I booked over an hours pressure and I passed another 3 posties heading back to base on my way home. I bet they weren't impressed with the idiots note. :thumbdown I left a note for our Unit Rep saying I considered this "Banking Hours" which hasn't been agreed with the CWU so can he sort it? Doesn't take long for these Postie/Managers to start using the Management tricks does it? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by postslippete »

You know I really don't understand why more posties who finish early don't just knock on the managers door and say "please sir, can I have some more?" :crazy:
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by robbertwhitton »

Dorset Plodder wrote:We've got a Stand In Manager this week, one of those Postie turned Manager types. :thumbdown Had a really HEAVY day today, went in to book the overtime (No Sign of a manager) and there's a little note on top of the Overtime Sheet, "Please remember to deduct any time you made up finishing early, on a very light Tuesday, from any overtime you're claiming today". I thought WTF! Just what you want to read after a very busy day. :mad

I booked over an hours pressure and I passed another 3 posties heading back to base on my way home. I bet they weren't impressed with the idiots note. :thumbdown I left a note for our Unit Rep saying I considered this "Banking Hours" which hasn't been agreed with the CWU so can he sort it? Doesn't take long for these Postie/Managers to start using the Management tricks does it? :cuppa
Is he actually paying it out of his own money?you do wonder at times,has it been authorised,should make for an interesting conversation
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Manager refusing to pay overtime

Post by robbertwhitton »

An overtime sheet,please explain? Is it like the holly grail,they have long since gone from our office,you would think that signing off at the time you finished and then of course cross checked from the pda would be enough evidence to get the overtime,as he’s supposed to initial your finishing time ,but of course he’s never there,to do it ,so that gets kicked into touch,so I simply don’t bother to challenge it on the swings and roundabouts scheme,and keep some hours in credit to use as and when it kicks off re lapsing etc,what a struggle!,,