Thanks. I don't do what the op has pointed out but I do however scan tthe item then place the pda back in my pocket while I wait for an answer or write a 739 out. This sometimes leads me to forget to send the scan until the next time I use the pda.plaguelift wrote:The GPS coordinates are stored at the scan point, not the send point. You could scan all your parcels at the office (which some do) and then hit send halfway around your duty, but if your DOM checks up on it it will tell him that you scanned them in the office and what time you did it.DrSatan wrote: The GPS coordinates that are stored, is it at the point of the scan or when you press send?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
2D barcode scanning
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
-
Xr4
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
I do that ALL the time, I don't have enough hands!DrSatan wrote:
Thanks. I don't do what the op has pointed out but I do however scan tthe item then place the pda back in my pocket while I wait for an answer or write a 739 out. This sometimes leads me to forget to send the scan until the next time I use the pda.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12199
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
Don't barcode scans get sent off straight away when you scan an item? In a MC any scans on a PDA get sent off straight away
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
On EVERYTHING you scan the GPS coordinates are registered when you press the 'done' button so aim to be standing on the doorstep when you press the button. I'm the first one to admit though that as we are always chasing our tails we tend to carry on our merry way then realise we haven't pressed 'done' yet. It only becomes a problem when a customers says they haven't received the item. In my experience the customer quite often forgets they have received the item or unfortunately you get the odd one who lies for whatever reason.DrSatan wrote:Yes. The PDA logs the GPS point of the scan so if they do a backtrack or there is a query then they'll have a few questions to answer.
The GPS coordinates that are stored, is it at the point of the scan or when you press send?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
I take the presumption that staff that work on these machines will be able to type like a secretary. So if the code square is damaged or has been badly affixed on an edge or if only the number is on the label I will type it in and curse at the parcel.A2B wrote:We have been told not to manually input the code as if we can't scan it it probably hasn't been scanned at the MC, there's also the problem that if the barcode is damaged/illegible the rest of the information usually is.SpacePhoenix wrote:There's always the number printed above or below it, which can be entered in manually. I expect that at somepoint there will be bollockings from managers at both MCs and DOs about staff not attempting to manually enter in a numberchickenwittle wrote:2d barcodes are not fit for purpose , if don tells me my scanning isn't good enough , I say neither are the barcodes.
Our office treats 2D barcodes like a game that we have to win so 99% of the time we are top scorers in our RM area with between 97% & 99% score. So I've given away which DO I'm at now.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
SpacePhoenix wrote:There's always the number printed above or below it, which can be entered in manually. I expect that at somepoint there will be bollockings from managers at both MCs and DOs about staff not attempting to manually enter in a numberchickenwittle wrote:2d barcodes are not fit for purpose , if don tells me my scanning isn't good enough , I say neither are the barcodes.
I dont have time to stand and type in 27 numbers and letters, and thats if you get it right.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12199
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
2D barcode scanning
Just wait until many more packets have the 2D bar codes, like it or not, i can see EVERY packet having a barcode eventually. I don't think it's going to be too much longer before (at least in MCs) that more Tracked is processed than normal packetsborgpicard wrote:SpacePhoenix wrote:There's always the number printed above or below it, which can be entered in manually. I expect that at somepoint there will be bollockings from managers at both MCs and DOs about staff not attempting to manually enter in a numberchickenwittle wrote:2d barcodes are not fit for purpose , if don tells me my scanning isn't good enough , I say neither are the barcodes.
I dont have time to stand and type in 27 numbers and letters, and thats if you get it right.