ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Floating duty clarification

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Floating duty clarification

Post by Pathfinder »

Kesknight wrote:My job is a rest day cover, i've worked for Royal Mail for 31 years. The duty holder wouldn't work his day off if he had to do something else other than his own duty. It doesn't bother me what duty i do, it's only for one day.
Whenever I get taken off my cover to do something else I don’t mind as the rounds I get to do are always a lot easier/shorter!

But it’s the principle, I never get told I’m being moved it’s just expected.

If they just said ‘’Hey Bob (not my name) so and so is working their day off as we’re short would you mind doing X round instead?’’ I’d be delighted and never decline, though if that ever happened I’d have to go on the sick as I’d probably be hallucinating.

Instead I get ‘’You’re on this today’’
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Floating duty clarification

Post by fishtank »

Instead I get ‘’You’re on this today’
It's the power trip of the useless little inadequates. There's no fun for them in showing a little dignity or respect to a postie, I think for some of them it's the only way to find any kind of reason for being. I bully therefore I am sort of thing.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Ralph Wiggum
Posts: 76
Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
Gender: Male

Floating duty clarification

Post by Ralph Wiggum »

If you have your own float duty, then for that particular day the said duty is yours.

If regular postie wants o/t on day off they do whatever duty needs covering.

Cue 'dummy comming out of the pram' and postie then refusing to work their day off unless on own duty.

Your response to this should be to

1) find said posties dummy and pop it back in
2) laugh at the 'tantrum' said postie is having
3) tell said postie the duty is part of your float duty and for that day is your duty.

Said postie will then run into the managers office carrying on their tantrum.

Boss will appear and try and sweet talk/move you.

Now this is the IMPORTANT PART. Do not we walked over, stick up for yourself, explain as ive stated above and STAND FIRM.

By following this proceedure you will suddenly find yourself doing your own float duty on a regular basis.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Floating duty clarification

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

If I am asked to work my duty on a day off, I always say "I'll just have a word with Ralph see if he is ok with it." If he is, I'll work it, if he isn't then I'll either do no overtime, or I'll cover the one that the manager wanted Ralph to do.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Floating duty clarification

Post by hothothot »

If you do what trueblue terrier advises theirs no problem.