ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Term time only working
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Kids have the right to be looked after.
-
Post12345
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
- Gender: Female
Term time only working
I'm pretty sure the term time agreement applies to direct dependants only but you are always within your rights to apply for unpaid leave. In our office it's 2 weeks only each in the summer holidays for annual whether you are a parent or not. They can only refuse unpaid leave if they are on minus numbers and have to prove it to you for each day. Take a rep in as ever.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Coz only single people don't have kids? No I'm not.aiden01 wrote:Take it you are single.rambo1 wrote:Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.Creditshampoo wrote:No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Post12345 wrote:I'm pretty sure the term time agreement applies to direct dependants only but you are always within your rights to apply for unpaid leave. In our office it's 2 weeks only each in the summer holidays for annual whether you are a parent or not. They can only refuse unpaid leave if they are on minus numbers and have to prove it to you for each day. Take a rep in as ever.
Can’t refuse unpaid if you’re a parent
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Thanks for all your inputs, I will continue to book my holidays as I always have done in the school holidays and Royal Mail can either approve me or lose me, not gonna lose a nights sleep over it
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Exactly, and fair play to you. Like you say, spending time with the kids is more important. At no point during the recruitment process do they mention how hard it is to get a single day off or how differently various DOs allocate holidays at local level. Christmas, yeah, they mentioned that, but not how hard it is the rest of the year to take that day in lieu you've accrued.Costas6969 wrote:Thanks for all your inputs, I will continue to book my holidays as I always have done in the school holidays and Royal Mail can either approve me or lose me, not gonna lose a nights sleep over it
For the past ten years prior to joining Royal Mail I have taken two holidays a year, one at Easter and one in the summer school holiday period so I can go away with Er Indoors and the kids. I've missed out on easter, but have got the summer half term and summer hols this year, so all good. However, should it come to a following year and I can't get those dates, I'd walk away from RM in a heartbeat. There's only a finite amount of time to spend with your kids and I don't want to later look back at missed opportunities because Daddy was too busy delivering letters and Chinese panties ffs.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Term time only working
Parental Leave can’t be postponed (delayed) if:
the employer doesn’t have a ‘significant reason’, eg it would cause serious disruption to the business
it’s being taken by the father or partner immediately after the birth or adoption of a child
it means an employee would no longer qualify for parental leave, eg postponing it until after the child’s 18th birthday
If it’s postponed, the employer:
must write explaining why within 7 days of the original request
suggest a new start date - this must be within 6 months of the requested start date
can’t change the amount of leave being requested
the employer doesn’t have a ‘significant reason’, eg it would cause serious disruption to the business
it’s being taken by the father or partner immediately after the birth or adoption of a child
it means an employee would no longer qualify for parental leave, eg postponing it until after the child’s 18th birthday
If it’s postponed, the employer:
must write explaining why within 7 days of the original request
suggest a new start date - this must be within 6 months of the requested start date
can’t change the amount of leave being requested
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Term time only working
"Family is more important than royal mail" isn't the attitude expected of Royal Mail employees.Costas6969 wrote:Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Term time only working
Maybe people who chose not to have kids should ask for reduced taxes.
If you want to work only term time be a teacher.
If you want to work only term time be a teacher.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Fair point, why should people without kids have to pay towards the schools budget? Let them with kids pay more and extra towards the NHS until their kids are earning because why should people without kids pay for other people kids to be treated. This could go on forever.....nickbsmooth wrote:Maybe people who chose not to have kids should ask for reduced taxes.
If you want to work only term time be a teacher.
-
mattjo1@talktalk.net
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
There not even his kids, what are the parents doing.
Let them arrange term time working with their companies. He took the job on without having this in place so if he doesn't like it tough.
Let them arrange term time working with their companies. He took the job on without having this in place so if he doesn't like it tough.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
[/quote]citypostie wrote:This could go on forever.....nickbsmooth wrote:Maybe people who chose not to have kids should ask for reduced taxes.
If you want to work only term time be a teacher.
That's a good idea , although I'm not sure whether you're taking the piss, where do we stop discriminating? Smokers, drinkers,people with diabetes who are overweight, at this rate there will be nobody contributing anyhthing due to all the exceptions.
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
They may not be my kids but unless you are a grandparent you will never know the bond between grandparents and grandchildren. It’s something totally unique. It’s not about the parents arranging anything, it’s about making memories with my grandchildren. Something that my wife and I have done for years and Something that Royal Mail won’t stop me doing
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Good point but think your original question has been answered.Costas6969 wrote:They may not be my kids but unless you are a grandparent you will never know the bond between grandparents and grandchildren. It’s something totally unique. It’s not about the parents arranging anything, it’s about making memories with my grandchildren. Something that my wife and I have done for years and Something that Royal Mail won’t stop me doing