ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
being moved
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
being moved
It's better to move about as much as you can, it's not a massive issue when you know the rounds, new starts are just left on vacant rounds at ours there going to get a shock when we get our revision in a few months
-
bo72
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 15:39
- Gender: Male
being moved
Royal mail never explain anything. You are just expected to know somehow.Took me a good month before I found out who my line manager was and that was only because he had a go at me for being late. Thing is no one told me what my start time was so I was going by my contracted start times, which it would seem were wrong.Islander wrote:clashcityrocker wrote:There is a process for the induction of new entrants.
You get trained by a workplace coach (or substitute if necessary)
You get put on a walk for a length of time to allow you to get used to the job.
Then you are a reserve.
I don't understand why this wasn't explained to you.
It would have been nice did not even have a work place coach, nothing explained about overtime holidays or lapsing
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
being moved
being a reserve is a constant battle for fair and equal treatment, you cant plan anything and you cannot count on anyone. I wish you luck, I was a reserve for 10 years, the last 5 of those were some of the most miserable and upsetting times of my entire life.
-
Islander
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
- Gender: Male
being moved
I don't feel Like I have been hard done by, I feel that this should be explained when you start the job that at any time you could be moved, I at least expected some warning so I can plan ahead. My wife is really pissed off with the move as this effects her as well, as we will now not be able to go away next weekend.joewyan wrote:I’m sorry you feel like you have been hard done by. When I started 7 years ago there was no such thing as a training walk. I spent 3 days being trained on 3 different walks with 3 different coaches and then did a week on the delivery I did on the third day. Then on different deliveries every week from then on.
That’s how it is and as a reserve (although quite happy to be a reserve) that’s how it still goes. Regularly changed at short notice but who cares, a delivery is a delivery at the end of the day.
I have never worked in any business where they move you to another section and you lose out as an emplyee on days off. Even in the aviation industry we knew where we stood with days off.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
being moved
When I started, I was put with different people for training, two of them who had only been there for 4 months - 8 months themselves. All I did was go out on delivery with them. I wasn't shown how to do indoor work at all, just learnt it as I have gone along. I was put on the same lapsed round after two weeks, only an hour in duration, but I wasn't shown how to deliver there and the numbers/street names were all over the place. Wasn't shown how to tie it up, and no the frame wasn't and isn't in the right order...and yet I was expected to deliver it all within the 1 hr slot first time.
Another person started later and was shown how to deliver to this place and had it all tied up for them.
Guess it depends on resources at the time or how much your face fits......
Another person started later and was shown how to deliver to this place and had it all tied up for them.
Guess it depends on resources at the time or how much your face fits......
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
being moved
One thing I learnt is it is all about what RM want and what we think doesn't count, unfortunately.Islander wrote:I don't feel Like I have been hard done by, I feel that this should be explained when you start the job that at any time you could be moved, I at least expected some warning so I can plan ahead. My wife is really pissed off with the move as this effects her as well, as we will now not be able to go away next weekend.joewyan wrote:I’m sorry you feel like you have been hard done by. When I started 7 years ago there was no such thing as a training walk. I spent 3 days being trained on 3 different walks with 3 different coaches and then did a week on the delivery I did on the third day. Then on different deliveries every week from then on.
That’s how it is and as a reserve (although quite happy to be a reserve) that’s how it still goes. Regularly changed at short notice but who cares, a delivery is a delivery at the end of the day.
I have never worked in any business where they move you to another section and you lose out as an emplyee on days off. Even in the aviation industry we knew where we stood with days off.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
being moved
You're lucky to have been on a walk ad long as you have to be honest. I do 6 different walks in 6 days regularly. Just life as a reserve I'm afraid.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
being moved
I seem to remember that when I started the job advert said I would be working 5 days out of 6. It didn’t state I would have set or rolling days off or that I would be on a set route.Islander wrote:I don't feel Like I have been hard done by, I feel that this should be explained when you start the job that at any time you could be moved, I at least expected some warning so I can plan ahead. My wife is really pissed off with the move as this effects her as well, as we will now not be able to go away next weekend.joewyan wrote:I’m sorry you feel like you have been hard done by. When I started 7 years ago there was no such thing as a training walk. I spent 3 days being trained on 3 different walks with 3 different coaches and then did a week on the delivery I did on the third day. Then on different deliveries every week from then on.
That’s how it is and as a reserve (although quite happy to be a reserve) that’s how it still goes. Regularly changed at short notice but who cares, a delivery is a delivery at the end of the day.
I have never worked in any business where they move you to another section and you lose out as an emplyee on days off. Even in the aviation industry we knew where we stood with days off.
As a reserve that is the situation unfortunately. In your case I think you would have the case to go to your manager and say you had planned to go away as that was your long weekend off. Have you tried that?