ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

D2d's as a part timer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Broxi
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2007, 18:21

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Broxi »

Nobody gets paid D2D money. The allowance you're paid is a shift allowance. There's also no special rules about who preps D2Ds, part time or full time. The only criteria is 'have you got time?' Prep time for D2Ds is 30 a minute so it purely depends on what time there is in the duty, minus delivery span, travel time, meal relief & WTLL/huddle.
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Angwyn »

I'm on 27.5 hr contract but come in 1/2 hour early every day (overtime) to prep.
So for me if they need throwing in then I'll do them but to be honest 90% of the
time my partner will have done it. Doesn't mean everything else is done though :chuckle
johnwhitey
Posts: 3
Joined: 13 Jan 2013, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Preston

D2d's as a part timer

Post by johnwhitey »

I'm on 24 hours, never once done only 24. For 5 1/2 years now I've done much more every week. I get £14 a week for D2D's and full timers get £23. Never gonna change just like annual leave isn't averaged out over your hours.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

D2d's as a part timer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

johnwhitey wrote:I'm on 24 hours, never once done only 24. For 5 1/2 years now I've done much more every week. I get £14 a week for D2D's and full timers get £23. Never gonna change just like annual leave isn't averaged out over your hours.

Wrong on 3 important issues

No one is paid for D2ds.

You have mistaken the Delivery Supplement as a payment for D2Ds - it isn't. Its extra payment for everyone in deliveries to recognise the special issues we face.

Also when you do overtime the payment that appears on your payslip (SSPR) INCLUDES a payment Del Supp up to 39 hours.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postmail3
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
Gender: Female

D2d's as a part timer

Post by postmail3 »

I'm a NEW 25hr pt (930-230) I'm normally in by 9 as my manager says I need to be 'flexible' and my walk is only ever half prepped, I have to do all D2D and get told I've got to have a drop off point if I can't fit it all in my barrow!!I have to do atleast 120 a day & I'm normally 2hrs O/T which I don't want as I have kids as school. I feel like this isnt for me which sucks. :(
kevbo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 134
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:33
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by kevbo »

postmail3 wrote:I'm a NEW 25hr pt (930-230) I'm normally in by 9 as my manager says I need to be 'flexible' and my walk is only ever half prepped, I have to do all D2D and get told I've got to have a drop off point if I can't fit it all in my barrow!!I have to do atleast 120 a day & I'm normally 2hrs O/T which I don't want as I have kids as school. I feel like this isnt for me which sucks. :(
Suggest you start another topic as there are lots of issues you need advice on. But basically don't be intimidated into working overtime you don't want to. Explain clearly and calmly your situation to your manager and stick to it. I know it's easy for me to say but don't worry about being new and not being kept on. Managers rely on this fear to get you to do extra but in my experience anyone who sticks the job is kept on. Speak to your union rep if any problems.
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Stewface »

Creditshampoo wrote:
cpsteve wrote:P/T workers should be given full D2D money if they are expected to prep them as well.
They are paid the same
PT are paid the same as FT, Pro Rata. If working OT you get a enhanced rate upto 39 Hours, which is meant to include D2D payment, after 39 hours total, just the hourly rate is paid.
Sala101
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 11:45
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Sala101 »

Stewface wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
cpsteve wrote:P/T workers should be given full D2D money if they are expected to prep them as well.
They are paid the same
PT are paid the same as FT, Pro Rata. If working OT you get a enhanced rate upto 39 Hours, which is meant to include D2D payment, after 39 hours total, just the hourly rate is paid.
And what a big con that is!!! I'm on a 25hr CONtract and deliver and prep a similar amount of D2D's as my full time partner who gets £6-7 more than me. somethings not right there...
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by The Postman »

Sala101 wrote:
Stewface wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
cpsteve wrote:P/T workers should be given full D2D money if they are expected to prep them as well.
They are paid the same
PT are paid the same as FT, Pro Rata. If working OT you get a enhanced rate upto 39 Hours, which is meant to include D2D payment, after 39 hours total, just the hourly rate is paid.
And what a big con that is!!! I'm on a 25hr CONtract and deliver and prep a similar amount of D2D's as my full time partner who gets £6-7 more than me. somethings not right there...
It’s only a con until you recognise the payment isn't for delivering d2d’s. It’s called a delivery supplement, it’s a Pro Rata Payment of £23.95 a week for delivery workers. If you don’t have time to put d2d’s in then don’t.
Sala101
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 11:45
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Sala101 »

The Postman wrote:
Sala101 wrote:
Stewface wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
cpsteve wrote:P/T workers should be given full D2D money if they are expected to prep them as well.
They are paid the same
PT are paid the same as FT, Pro Rata. If working OT you get a enhanced rate upto 39 Hours, which is meant to include D2D payment, after 39 hours total, just the hourly rate is paid.
And what a big con that is!!! I'm on a 25hr CONtract and deliver and prep a similar amount of D2D's as my full time partner who gets £6-7 more than me. somethings not right there...
It’s only a con until you recognise the payment isn't for delivering d2d’s. It’s called a delivery supplement, it’s a Pro Rata Payment of £23.95 a week for delivery workers. If you don’t have time to put d2d’s in then don’t.
I do recognise that its a delivery supplement, Although i'm on a P/T contract (cant get full time even though in the pack of lies told to me at the interview "you'll be able to choose to go full time within the first year") I deliver the same as my F/T partner, ironically my side of the round is slightly larger, my hours are boosted with O/T to complete each day. I see many P/T postmen delivering the same as their F/T colleagues and getting the short end of the stick with the payments. From my experience the 25 hr contracts is RM's way of saying your going to do the same as your F/T colleagues but we're going to screw you over a lot more.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Celgar »

Broxi wrote:Nobody gets paid D2D money. The allowance you're paid is a shift allowance. There's also no special rules about who preps D2Ds, part time or full time. The only criteria is 'have you got time?' Prep time for D2Ds is 30 a minute so it purely depends on what time there is in the duty, minus delivery span, travel time, meal relief & WTLL/huddle.
It's the old D2D chestnut again. At the time of the D2D payment changes many years ago we went from being paid up to 5 pence per item for the largest pieces down to a flat fee per week 52 weeks a year of 20 quid! This sum was given to everyone regardless of whether they deliver or even not see or touch D2Ds which the CWU deemed to be a fairer system. Whether anyone wishes to argue the toss and that this is no longer the case is by the by. I didn't realise part timers received a lesser amount even if they prep and deliver all the D2Ds as well. If that is the case it is yet another failure on the part of the CWU.
There are standard rules for doing D2D within RM although they are not always followed. You are meant to throw up one sixth per day into the frame. This equates to one vertical column on the frame per day. All of those D2D that make up that one sixth are then meant to be delivered on that day. None are meant to be left in the frame that day. This does mean that the final sixth is expected to be delivered on Saturday when invariably most Postie's are looking to get home a little earlier and enjoy what is left of the weekend.
Not sure where the 30 slots of D2D prepped into the frame per minute comes from. My walk usually receives six lots of D2Ds per week of varying sizes and thicknesses. I doubt I would be able to get the six into 30 slots in one minute. Since our last revision when the double absorption plus more delivery was incorporated into every walk it takes something like 1.5 hours to get all the D2D into the frame.
I don't personally follow the RM rules for throwing up the D2Ds as I rather get them done earlier in the week when it is not so busy. So I aim to get them all into the frame for Monday morning and deliver them where there are letters each day. This usually means that 80 to 90 percent of the D2Ds get delivered on the Monday. It is usually when there are D2Ds left undelivered at the end of the week that the rules get chased up. If everything is getting cleared nothing much is said about them.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16715
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

D2d's as a part timer

Post by clashcityrocker »

Nobody gets paid for D2D.
The unit payment disappeared in 2010.

We get a delivery supplement.
We all get exactly the same hourly rate (up to 39 hours) of about 65p/hour.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by Celgar »

clashcityrocker wrote:Nobody gets paid for D2D.
The unit payment disappeared in 2010.

We get a delivery supplement.
We all get exactly the same hourly rate (up to 39 hours) of about 65p/hour.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
BECAUSE as I said when the changes were implemented we were told we would get a flat fee of 20 quid instead of pence per item.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

D2d's as a part timer

Post by fishtank »

Apart from the old well worn point that nobody gets paid anything for D2D members need to understand that there are no special rules when it comes to D2D and wilful delay. All mail is treated the same with regards to the conduct code. If you're going to leave D2D be prepared to potentially face exactly the same charge as you would if you had kicked a tray of sequenced mail under your frame.

There are always people on these threads that throw in the comment that if you don't have time to do them just leave them. That's complete garbage and dangerous. It's impossible contractually not to have time to prep D2D unless you're asked to do them at the end of your shift. It's obviously possible that prepping D2D might mean you don't have time to complete your delivery but that's a consequence that should always be left with management to deal with.

You're going to look really silly arguing at an employment tribunal that you didn't have time to prep D2D when you still had 5 hours left to work.They're not going to be interested in whether you had a 5 hour delivery to do, it makes no sense to argue that you can pick and choose what you have time to do but your employer can't.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16715
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

D2d's as a part timer

Post by clashcityrocker »

Celgar wrote: BECAUSE as I said when the changes were implemented we were told we would get a flat fee of 20 quid instead of pence per item.
Who told you that? It was wrong then. It is wrong today.
It tells you on the D2D exactly how much you are getting paid.
£0.00
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.