ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Work place coaches

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by awesomepenguin »

Surely a better agreement would be that training or coaching attracts an extra payment when the person is actually training someone?
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by delfranklin1969 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
awesomepenguin wrote:Yet another badly thought out "agreement" between RM and CWU that is not fit for purpose. :arrrghhh
No. Badly applied by RM management. Because
delfranklin1969 wrote:I have to agree, we had some new start casuals week before last and I was stuck with one and ended up running around babysitting the person, I always thought that whoever takes someone inexperienced out should get some form of extra payment instead of giving certain folk money for being a workplace coach when many of them never go near a new starter!
Is correct. The coaching allowance is partly to train new starters, coach them as they bed in and as a point of contact for them if they have questions.

Its also right that there is a daily training allowance, it used to be £6 but that may have changed.
Well funny you should mention that as was talking to one of the union guys and he mentioned this allowance, however, the allowance doesn't apply to new casuals apparently, just new Royal Mail personell :arrrghhh.

More fool me as I ended up working like a busy Wed/Thurs every day and we were pretty light last week, still have got my normal van partner now so I guess I just tolerated it, knowing it was only gonna be for a few days.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Work place coaches

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

awesomepenguin wrote:Badly applied?

So you think that someone from the union sat in a room and thought it was a good idea to agree to a system where by someone gets paid an extra £30 a week regardless of whether or not they are actually training or coaching anyone? :arrrghhh
Yes!!

Its badly applied by management when someone is specifically being paid to train people, and then when someone needs training they use someone else.

I am amazed that someone can blame the Union for a Managers failure to apply the agreement correctly, and who is wasting money.

I have and will blame the CWU when I think they have cocked up, but if a manager has a Coach being paid an allowance and doesn't use them how can that be the fault of the Union or the agreement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by rambo1 »

RM are also 'wasting' £30 a week by letting some runners go home 30 mins early every day. Think about that one.
Aquarius
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Apr 2008, 11:40

Work place coaches

Post by Aquarius »

Workplace coaches - don't make me laugh

99% of the year never used...money for nothing

It is certainly true where i work
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Work place coaches

Post by DGH »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Its badly applied by management when someone is specifically being paid to train people, and then when someone needs training they use someone else.

I am amazed that someone can blame the Union for a Managers failure to apply the agreement correctly, and who is wasting money.

I have and will blame the CWU when I think they have cocked up, but if a manager has a Coach being paid an allowance and doesn't use them how can that be the fault of the Union or the agreement.
Quite.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

The delivery coaches at my office refuse to use trolleys !
Binsey
Posts: 390
Joined: 14 Aug 2015, 17:33
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by Binsey »

I wouldn't be surprised if the WPC Coaches become the new Team leaders.
If and when RM gets rid of Linos.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by walkthewalk »

Not this old chestnut again, WPC are a waste of money!! :cuppa
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Work place coaches

Post by Chelseablue »

Just find it incredible how much money is wated on this annually in every office . Should be when you actually train someone which is only a few times a year , its a hellava lot of money wasted !
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by cpsteve »

BeamishStout wrote:WPC are used in my LDO as a tool (very appropriate term) by management to make their lives easier. They appear to be used for low-level misdemeanors such as missing a LC scan, missing a tracked scan, customer complaints and the like. They creep up to your frame silently and then pounce like a viper with their sheets produced by 'the system'. Got to say I have little respect for them selling their souls for an extra £30. I do admire their thick skins though. :thumbup

But the term Work Place Coaches could not be farther from the truth - perhaps WPT might be more appropriate :roll:
Yes coaches have to coach you on mistakes. I would jump at the chance to do it easy money.
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by postmandick »

I do it :Very Happy

easy money for doing jack sh#t :nana

I have to do about 3 hrs a week which my manager pays o/t ......

why don't you ask your manager about doing it

easy money
pink panther
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 151
Joined: 09 Feb 2011, 14:15
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by pink panther »

Totally agree the lazy gits do nothing for their extra few quid some of them think they are managers. It's time it was scrapped.
pink panther
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 151
Joined: 09 Feb 2011, 14:15
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by pink panther »

Totally agree the lazy gits do nothing for their extra few quid some of them think they are managers. It's time it was scrapped.
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Work place coaches

Post by Numberone63 »

I am not a work place coach. However this week a new starter has been with me since Monday. The managers told me that they gave him to me because the WPC is too slow so I should show him the real pace of doing a delivery. I don’t really mind because I enjoy showing new starters the job but the WPC’s are getting the money for it.