ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by wannabeek »

Oh boohoo for you. As I said, it's xmas ffs.

Were you a kid ever? At xmas?

There's a magic there that is mostly lost on folk nowadays unfortunately.
Last edited by wannabeek on 08 Nov 2017, 18:56, edited 2 times in total.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Grow a pair
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by wannabeek »

Ok so maybe I'm being infantile. Xmas still means something to me beyond the commercial aspect. Sorry about that. Maybe I'm the only postman who enjoys xmas. Hey ho so what.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by wannabeek »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Grow a pair
Absurd keyboard-warrior comment. I guarantee you would not say that to my face....

Twice anyway.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by worktotime »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:
wannabeek wrote:I can't believe they're still banging on about a xmas strike. No way. I'm as die-hard as most when it comes to union support but no way in hell do I want to strike in xmas week. There are kids who need their stuff delivered.

It's xmas ffs. It may just be commercial shite to some people but not to me. It's bleedin xmas week ffs. I'd personally hate to be a cause of ruining that. I'd need to face those kids the week after. Sorry Jimmy, you didn't get your xmas gift because I want more money. Good grief.

I'd be well up for striking when it's holiday brochures and new year sales. That's a whole different market so far as I'm concerned.
It'll be a shame if the kids don't get there presents but not as much a shame as me visiting a soup kitchen when my pension gets ripped off !
to right and expected to mop up work for f**k all on top of that , the way this company wants to increase your work , you will be lucky to reach your pension age.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by k979aaa »

k979aaa wrote:
wannabeek wrote:I can't believe they're still banging on about a xmas strike. No way. I'm as die-hard as most when it comes to union support but no way in hell do I want to strike in xmas week. There are kids who need their stuff delivered.

It's xmas ffs. It may just be commercial shite to some people but not to me. It's bleedin xmas week ffs. I'd personally hate to be a cause of ruining that. I'd need to face those kids the week after. Sorry Jimmy, you didn't get your xmas gift because I want more money. Good grief.

I'd be well up for striking when it's holiday brochures and new year sales. That's a whole different market so far as I'm concerned.
Sentiment should not cloud your judgement as it has we are not the one's who have procrastinated for over two years of talks whilst breaking every agreement ever made in the past yet find's one that suit's them! Thing is all this could have been agreed or put to a vote sooner with greater involvement of the management side it is they who should apologise for their own failure in communicating with the union and the workforce it represents it highlights a FAILURE IN COMMUNICATION WHICH IS A DAMMING INDICTMENT FOR A COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY!
Bump while children fight.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by worktotime »

wannabeek wrote:Ok so maybe I'm being infantile. Xmas still means something to me beyond the commercial aspect. Sorry about that. Maybe I'm the only postman who enjoys xmas. Hey ho so what.
we all enjoy xmas but its not just down to little jimmy getting his presents delivered or not , but just remember if we wasn't dragged through the court we would have been striking 2 days a week , every week until r/m backed down or not so do you think we would have not stood down I/a 2 weeks up to xmas ?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by fishtank »

Nobody's going to strike the week before Christmas because nobody's going to be asked to strike the week before Christmas. You're having an argument about nothing.

The PEC has to endorse strike dates, it's a collective decision and as far as I'm aware they haven't all completely lost their minds. If nothing were to come of these talks which I seriously doubt there would need to be a complete rethink as to what our strategy would be. That takes time and a little clear headed thinking.

Strikes are a last resort and they shouldn't materially damage the company in the long term because that damages our job security. Striking the week leading up to Christmas would never be forgotten by customers, both the kind we meet on a daily basis and the kind who pay our wages like Amazon. I'm not one to parrot a royal mail phrase but in that specific scenario strikes really would cost jobs.

As Jimmy Reid once said about Mr Scargill, If kamikaze pilots started a union Arthur would be the ideal leader. Let's hope Terry isn't putting together a CV. I could never endorse strikes in the week before Christmas, even though with heavy heart I would still stand on the picket line, it would be our own personal suicide mission I'm afraid.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by k979aaa »

worktotime wrote:
wannabeek wrote:Ok so maybe I'm being infantile. Xmas still means something to me beyond the commercial aspect. Sorry about that. Maybe I'm the only postman who enjoys xmas. Hey ho so what.
we all enjoy xmas but its not just down to little jimmy getting his presents delivered or not , but just remember if we wasn't dragged through the court we would have been striking 2 days a week , every week until r/m backed down or not so do you think we would have not stood down I/a 2 weeks up to xmas ?
Royal Mail have been playing hard ball for two years they know what they want but want even more we are but the pawns on the table they will try and make it us who stole little jimmy's presents but it is they who will steal our pensions working conditions and in time our right to vote yes these big companies have the power of freedom of our speech and media ultimately voting will be an entitlement not a right these rights were fought for by men and women and children long before our cosy time. When kid's did not know the meaning of Christmas our we now to send little jimmy to the workhouse in future because we could not make that stand that small sacrifice and give it all away to some fat cat from Canada HELL right I ain't are any of you with me too or should we just surrender to the CAPITALISTS!
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by Glenno »

Nobody's going to strike the week before Christmas because nobody's going to be asked to strike the week before Christmas. You're having an argument about nothing.

The PEC has to endorse strike dates, it's a collective decision and as far as I'm aware they haven't all completely lost their minds. If nothing were to come of these talks which I seriously doubt there would need to be a complete rethink as to what our strategy would be. That takes time and a little clear headed thinking.
The above will be proven to be true, even Terry I doubt would be that foolish to put that forward, the likely hood of Strikes before Chrimbo are in my opinion very unlikely :wave :wave
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by jessicarabbit »

Fishtank for King or Prime Minister or leader of the People's Judean Front. Whatever he's great and always speaks the truth. :nana
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by jetblack »

fishtank wrote:
As Jimmy Reid once said about Mr Scargill, If kamikaze pilots started a union Arthur would be the ideal leader.
And as Arthur Scargill once commented, if talking hot air out your arse were an olympic sport Jimmy Reid would be a gold medallist.

That being said, I'd tend to agree on the Christmas IA issue.
It wouldn't bother me personally - I f***ing hate Christmas and all that it has become since its inception by Barings bank a couple hundred years back - and I'd welcome a few days break, like some of the lazy twats that always pull a sickie at that time of year.
But I don't, in the cold light of day, think it would be the best PR move in the world, and would probably be divisive for members. Maybe we could make an issue of postponing the IA till after Christmas and use that as a big sell for us ? Make it work in our favour.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by postslippete »

Bit disappointed that Royal Mail insist on playing hardball. Not really surprised that there is no significant progress being made.



However, the biggest NO's has to be without any doubt:

1. Moving the pipeline later. Just look at the amount of overtime that staff won't do because they don't want to be finishing at 4 and 5pm at night.
2. Multi-Bundle. Its just not practicable as we only have one pair of hands.
3. Walk Ownership. Nice idea in theory, and potentially would save Royal Mail ££££ in overtime claims BUT we know how it would work: We would be bursting a gut just to get finish on time because the alternative would be working past your time for diddly squat. No Union in the land could possibly endorse the idea of working for FREE!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by jetblack »

Big 'Yes's' :-

1) same pension scheme terms for all - and a scheme where risk is shared.
2) shorter working week - imperative over the medium term to avoid job losses + enable the workforce to share in the benefits of automation.
Last edited by jetblack on 08 Nov 2017, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Strike Update 3rd week of mediation

Post by Flashman_ »

Whilst it might not be the best option in PR terms, it was the business that delayed any possible IA, with that very intention. We should therefore not shy away from action before Christmas. The bosses don't give a toss about what we want, all they care about is getting what they want and winning. All their actions in the face of overwhelming union support prove that.