ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Interested-seeker »

I understand. I am fairly new. At my most stressful point, I walked out and said that I quit. I came back the next day after the manager rang me. I enjoy the job, but I wish that staff were treated with more respect.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Clared »

yellowbelly wrote:Kazzy, stick with it, it honestly does get easier, I'm only two years in and I remember having one particularly horrendous day when
I started, partly me being a newbie but managers put too much on to me and it was way past being dark when I got back to the
office.

Even now I'll put a bundle in the wrong place in a bag or trolley, forget a packet till I'm about 5 doors past, forget to
do my redirections (especially when they've dwindled down to a handful) until I've started
bundling up and I get a nagging in the back of my mind saying 'You've forgotten something....what is it......lightbulb moment'
and think to myself 'You flipping numpty!' but over time these sort of things happen less and less as you gain experience.

You are already showing your mettle by telling DOM/rep at the beginning of shift that you don't think you'll be able to complete.
I've seen posties with years and years of experience who don't feel able to stand up to management in this way.

Keep going. It will get better. There are plenty of good days too when the sun is shining, customers smile and say 'Thanks Postie!',
you make the little old lady's day by saying hello because you're probably the only human interaction
she'll have today, you get offered a glass of squash, a Christmas card (bonus with a fiver in it) and a mince pie, the kids
(not the annoying ones) say 'Thanks Postman Pat!' as you hand the letters over to them.

Stick with it!!! You're not alone - especially on these boards - don't be afraid to ask questions/vent your frustrations
on here, there's loads of fantastic postie posters on here.
Agree there is, I love coming on this forum it helped me through my early weeks n months at RM
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Angwyn »

Really hope today was better for you :pray
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by wacko74 »

Can only echo what other have said, whilst your Manager and Rep haven't been massively helpful it seems like most of the pressure you're under is actually coming from yourself, setting yourself too high standards, it is a difficult job, no two ways about it and someone as new as yourself isn't going to be up to speed what ever your Manager says or expects.

It's not like other 'unskilled' jobs where a new starter can be up to speed in half a day or less... there's so much involved in this job I reckon any new starter is looking at a minimum 3-6 months before they can start to feel relaxed and comfortable in the job
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Judgee »

It's always darkest before the dawn! :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by mickeymacca »

Judgee wrote:It's always darkest before the dawn! :wink:
'I can see no way, I can see no way, I'm always dragging that LWT around'

:Very Happy
'Libraries gave us power'
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Charliecat »

Misskazzyb are you still doing the job? Your post sounds just like me! I started 2 weeks ago and wonder if I've made a huge mistake. My feet and legs and fingers hurt bad. My coach has no patience and I end up jogging the round as he says I'm too slow. I forget a parcel and have to run back down a street to post as I'm too scared to tell him I forgot. I left my pda on a bin and had to go back. I am not sure what to do if a parcel won't scan as my coach rolls his eyes and tells me he's already told me . Therefor I'm afraid to ask again! I make mistakes if I can't find flats in old buildings and probably post wrong letters all because I don't want to take them back because he'll moan and say he's shown me the flats twice. Little does he realise all the old Victorian mansions look the same when you have to concentrate on everything else. I am hoping to get a round with someone who doesn't push me so hard or one by myself so I can take care and do it right as right now I have not even got time to fiddle putting my pen back In my pocket and I haven't got a pda holder so that's a fiddle and I have no bags and have to use plastic boxes so the parcels aren't contained . Aargh just hoping there's light at the end
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by fishtank »

You need to be more assertive with your coach Charlie and don't let him bully you into feeling stressed. It's mostly the stress that's causing the mistakes. It doesn't matter how many times he rolls his eyes he's a coach, he's getting paid to coach and if he doesn't want to coach tell him to hand the money back.

Your will hurt for a few weeks but your body will get used to it. Every thing else will click into place, you're not slow you're just inexperienced, everybody is when they start.

Join the union.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by POSTMAN »

The training on and of the job is dismal, while it's right we need to look at workloads, B&H and all the other bits, this also seriously need to be looked at.
Actually, that's a lot of 'looking at' to do isn't it? :neutral:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by clashcityrocker »

Every office should have a half walk.
You can't seriously expect somebody to immediately go to a 4 hour delivery span. Where are the H&S reps?
You need to build up confidence and stamina.

When not being used for a new entrant then it can be used for rehab/ or as a potential overtime opportunity.
And if there is no particular need for it on any given week it should be offered to the person who had the idea for it in the first place. :Very Happy
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by korky »

Charliecat wrote:Misskazzyb are you still doing the job? Your post sounds just like me! I started 2 weeks ago and wonder if I've made a huge mistake. My feet and legs and fingers hurt bad. My coach has no patience and I end up jogging the round as he says I'm too slow. I forget a parcel and have to run back down a street to post as I'm too scared to tell him I forgot. I left my pda on a bin and had to go back. I am not sure what to do if a parcel won't scan as my coach rolls his eyes and tells me he's already told me . Therefor I'm afraid to ask again! I make mistakes if I can't find flats in old buildings and probably post wrong letters all because I don't want to take them back because he'll moan and say he's shown me the flats twice. Little does he realise all the old Victorian mansions look the same when you have to concentrate on everything else. I am hoping to get a round with someone who doesn't push me so hard or one by myself so I can take care and do it right as right now I have not even got time to fiddle putting my pen back In my pocket and I haven't got a pda holder so that's a fiddle and I have no bags and have to use plastic boxes so the parcels aren't contained . Aargh just hoping there's light at the end
sounds like you've got a right tool of a coach who's probably pi55ed off with having earning a bit of their extra £1900 a year job,
rushing and fretting about trying to keep up will only lead to more mistakes, take a chilled approach and tell him to do one, saying that, you're lucky to get any sort of training these days!
feet/legs will get better in time, then worse along with your back :left:
make sure you're wearing decent shoes too
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:Every office should have a half walk
We used to have two cadet walks back in the days when we employed children.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by k979aaa »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Every office should have a half walk
We used to have two cadet walks back in the days when we employed children.
Don't think that is a fair comment everybody need's to learn but years ago anyone could do any walk guess the people who set these walks up should do one at least instead of pissing about watching porn all day!
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by FinishOnTime »

The weird thing is in Royal Mail (outdoor) overtime is generally seen as a pain in the arse which people feel they have to do. If management changed the culture it may become something that people wanted to do.

Very few people like flat weeks.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by k979aaa »

FinishOnTime wrote:The weird thing is in Royal Mail (outdoor) overtime is generally seen as a pain in the arse which people feel they have to do. If management changed the culture it may become something that people wanted to do.

Very few people like flat weeks.
That is the nub the CULTURE of the vultures that pick the meat of our bones by lapsing and non payment of overtime and stealing day's off us all too feather their own nest's and Pension's as all managers bonuses are pensionable!