ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fraud

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Fraud

Post by greengiant »

swindonandy wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:Why isn't this picked up earlier? They get scanned at the Mail Centre.
MCs will have multiple people scanning so unless both get scanned by the same person it won't get picked up on.
The new PDAs don't do anything different when the same tracked code is scanned twice on processing so there's no way to really know without reading the number. You can scan the same item 5 times and it counts it as 5 items scanned, no objections. At least the old PDAs used to make that error noise.

If I scan the same tracked barcode twice on the new pda, the second scan asks me if I want to delete the barcode.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3363
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Fraud

Post by Mr Rush »

number one wrote:It is so frustrating. I could start a business tomorrow and not pay a single penny for postage. If I can do it anybody can do it. The training to staff about fraudulent postage does not exist. I am sure with the 2d's we can have a one scan. All the 2d's would have to be on a datebase once a 2d has been scanned by a delivery PDA then that 2d is then void. If somebody else tries to scan an item with the same 2d somwhere else in the country they get a prompt on their PDA saying. "2d barcode invalid, item already scanned please send to revenue protection"
Unfortunately that database would be so large and there would be so many queries to it that the bandwidth that RM would have to pay for (allegedly unlike when the new PDAs were rolled out) would probably hit the bottom line hard enough it makes financial sense just to let the fraud continue.
The machine stops.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Fraud

Post by NewPostieUK »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:They can tell my manager how many barcodes I have, but not if two are the same?

I think this should be Mail Centre issue, instead of lumbering the poor posty with even more work and responsibility.
Can't see anything being done about it in MCs, we don't have the staff or time
Same for Delivery Offices.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Fraud

Post by WOBBLY »

number one wrote:It is so frustrating. I could start a business tomorrow and not pay a single penny for postage. If I can do it anybody can do it. The training to staff about fraudulent postage does not exist. I am sure with the 2d's we can have a one scan. All the 2d's would have to be on a datebase once a 2d has been scanned by a delivery PDA then that 2d is then void. If somebody else tries to scan an item with the same 2d somwhere else in the country they get a prompt on their PDA saying. "2d barcode invalid, item already scanned please send to revenue protection"
They can't even add a 'addressee unknown' or 'deliver to neighbour' button :roll: , so can't see what you've suggested happening anytime soon!! :left: (fwiw it's a great idea!!)
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Fraud

Post by cpsteve »

The 2d info will be the same so GPS checks should catch any fraud if its reported and acted upon. Revenue protection should be on this as a matter of urgency.