ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Corner Cutting by Runners

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by postiewhite »

We have 2 postmen that can do 2 duties together and finish earlier than everyone else.The get paid 6 hours extra OT.
The only ways you could possibly do 2 duties in 4 hours is:-
A) Run around
B) Cut across gardens
C) Put 2 loops into one bag and not use any correct methods at all
D) Not waiting at the doorstep longer than seconds (I kinda feel sorry for the customer on that one because that would annoy the hell out of me if I was waiting in for a parcel an the postie didn't wait around)
E) Skip your morning break so that you can bag up and go before everyone else.
F) Speed in your van and not taking any safety into account.

The managers let this happen to SAVE MONEY!!!. And we wonder why we are behind the likes of DPD in terms of service when it comes to delivering parcels.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by toomuchcoke »

postiewhite wrote:We have 2 postmen that can do 2 duties together and finish earlier than everyone else.The get paid 6 hours extra OT.
The only ways you could possibly do 2 duties in 4 hours is:-
A) Run around
B) Cut across gardens
C) Put 2 loops into one bag and not use any correct methods at all
D) Not waiting at the doorstep longer than seconds (I kinda feel sorry for the customer on that one because that would annoy the hell out of me if I was waiting in for a parcel an the postie didn't wait around)
E) Skip your morning break so that you can bag up and go before everyone else.
F) Speed in your van and not taking any safety into account.
I could well imagine that they might also be :-
G) Leaving items in garages, sheds, greenhouses ... etc even where there is no Safeplace instruction on the item.
H) Signing for customer's items themselves.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by eastie »

Don't the runners that get back early get given the cut offs from other postmen if they are back before their finish time?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by Newbie001 »

toomuchcoke wrote: H) Signing for customer's items themselves.
Epidemic in most offices. The only signed for letters that ever get handed back to our callers office are the ones I bring back or court letters. Either that or I'm really unlucky.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by South_London_Postie »

RM need to remove job and finish nationally and make the managers enforce it or lose their jobs as they are allowing staff to defraud the company. All this corner cutting will stop as their will be no point just racing back to the office for more work. How an earth can a business allow one colleague to go home an hour early but pay another colleague an hours overtime. Utter shambles.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by postiewhite »

eastie wrote:Don't the runners that get back early get given the cut offs from other postmen if they are back before their finish time?
In our office it's Job and knock and that is what the manager has told us which means stand in mangers will get shafted by this method.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

catch22 wrote:I cant totally understand a postie doing that on a rural delivery. Doesnt want to drive down the driveway to knock on the door... so posts a car through.
But the idea of pre writing a card? Surely its easier to just knock at the door?
I know where you got the idea from, but it's a bit drastic. :chuckle :chuckle

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by hampshireman »

Pompey Boy wrote:Even I know that specials don't go to neighbours! I was refering to packets in general. Also as a postie I've not got much time for the public, but I do believe the neighbour and she did show me the form left with no details of who left it.
'Also as a postie ....not much time for the public...' How does that work?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

hampshireman wrote:
Pompey Boy wrote:Even I know that specials don't go to neighbours! I was refering to packets in general. Also as a postie I've not got much time for the public, but I do believe the neighbour and she did show me the form left with no details of who left it.
'Also as a postie ....not much time for the public...' How does that work?
It doesn't If you read it literally. But it does if you understand the meaning within the context, in that he trusts posties, in general, more than joe public.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by eastie »

postiewhite wrote:We have 2 postmen that can do 2 duties together and finish earlier than everyone else.The get paid 6 hours extra OT.
The only ways you could possibly do 2 duties in 4 hours is:-
A) Run around
B) Cut across gardens
C) Put 2 loops into one bag and not use any correct methods at all
D) Not waiting at the doorstep longer than seconds (I kinda feel sorry for the customer on that one because that would annoy the hell out of me if I was waiting in for a parcel an the postie didn't wait around)
E) Skip your morning break so that you can bag up and go before everyone else.
F) Speed in your van and not taking any safety into account.

The managers let this happen to SAVE MONEY!!!. And we wonder why we are behind the likes of DPD in terms of service when it comes to delivering parcels.
If they come back early they should take out cut offs or left lapsing and the O/T shouldn't start till there proper finishing time.
If this is happening the DOM is turning a blind eye to job and knock
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by cpsteve »

South_London_Postie wrote:RM need to remove job and finish nationally and make the managers enforce it or lose their jobs as they are allowing staff to defraud the company. All this corner cutting will stop as their will be no point just racing back to the office for more work. How an earth can a business allow one colleague to go home an hour early but pay another colleague an hours overtime. Utter shambles.
The R/M is run on O/T that is why the posties who do O/T are looked after good luck to them they work hard for the money. If posties are not doing their job well that is a management problem let them deal with it.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by steve1873 »

Pompey Boy wrote:Got confronted by a neighbour on my way home today, who said that a form left had been put through her door for a special. She was in at the time, but the bell hadn't been rung or door knocked. I believe her and wonder if this is a tactic used by runners to save time. oh and guess what? No postie signature or number. if you think about it a lot of time could be saved by pushing form lefts (that had been filled in by the non-driver) through doors rather than ringing a door bell, waiting, trying a neighbour etc etc. Does this happen in other offices?
I obviously can't speak for that person, but I have lost count of the amount of times I have been accused of not knocking/ ringing bell. I always do both. I don't mind if someone comes out and is polite about it and says "sorry, I didn't hear you knock". It is the downright rude ones who are adamant that you didn't knock that gets to me. I have had to bite my tongue many a time!
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by steve1873 »

Kings Norton wrote:In my office 99% of them has p739 card pre wrote and banded up around the packets/letters etc ready for whacking in the door its bang out of order and should be stopped that way the callers office would see a reduction on items brought back. I personally give the customer the opportunity to get to the door..
Your office needs to have its indoor work plan looked at if 99% of staff have time to write out 739's for every attendance call prior to departing office!
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by Pompey Boy »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
catch22 wrote:I cant totally understand a postie doing that on a rural delivery. Doesnt want to drive down the driveway to knock on the door... so posts a car through.
But the idea of pre writing a card? Surely its easier to just knock at the door?
I know where you got the idea from, but it's a bit drastic. :chuckle :chuckle

Image
Not nice for the driver involved who I know :sad:
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Corner Cutting by Runners

Post by Pompey Boy »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
hampshireman wrote:
Pompey Boy wrote:Even I know that specials don't go to neighbours! I was refering to packets in general. Also as a postie I've not got much time for the public, but I do believe the neighbour and she did show me the form left with no details of who left it.
'Also as a postie ....not much time for the public...' How does that work?
It doesn't If you read it literally. But it does if you understand the meaning within the context, in that he trusts posties, in general, more than joe public.
Yes We've got some good posties at our place (the crap ones became crap guvnors or acting guvnors). The problem people are the runners.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!