ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Time to leave
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Time to leave
I agree, it takes a while for the penny to drop when you are new. How long it takes depends on yourself and your colleagues. I was still confused after a year. People slowly made comments about not having to stay out after dark if i didn't want to, and to take my 30 min break, and complain when my duty wasn't prepped. It took at least a year for me to take these comments on board.
Now I moan everyday about unwanted overtime, extra workload etc, and I never touch door to doors! Now I'm not taken advantage off (or at least if I am, I know it, and keep it as ammo in the daily fight).
Now I moan everyday about unwanted overtime, extra workload etc, and I never touch door to doors! Now I'm not taken advantage off (or at least if I am, I know it, and keep it as ammo in the daily fight).
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Yeah. I think I may have started at the worst possible time really. supposedly the round I was on was one of the easier ones when they had bikes, which I can believe. Just the nature of it with a trolley meant there were miles of dead walking.
ihated2d's you're right that things are better now, until a few months ago I was asked to do 4 day rural cover and even though for about the 9 months I did it I still never had 2 days off in a row, it was obviously miles better.
Now i'm back to 5 days some rural some hct rounds which is ok I guess, maybe I could stay and keep my head down I just don't want to be there anymore and think i'd be happier in a new job.
ihated2d's you're right that things are better now, until a few months ago I was asked to do 4 day rural cover and even though for about the 9 months I did it I still never had 2 days off in a row, it was obviously miles better.
Now i'm back to 5 days some rural some hct rounds which is ok I guess, maybe I could stay and keep my head down I just don't want to be there anymore and think i'd be happier in a new job.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
It would be nice if there was some kind of "Welcome Package" for new starters, from the Posties Point of View. You're normally rushed around by the DOM, who shows you the toilets and the fire exits and rushes you out on delivery!
Everyone normally learns the hard way (and in the meantime loses money). I'm sure RM do it on purpose, you imagine how much they save multiplied by every new starter in the business? If it's a good DO you might get a heads up from the Unit Rep, but a lot of them are only in for themselves. You might be lucky and get given some advice from more experienced Posties, once again some of them are just Selfish Idle Bastards.
I'll normally try and give a bit of advice. Don't prep households in your own time.... make sure you take, or claim, your meal breaks... and most importantly DO NOT WORK FOR FREE. Make sure the DOM authorises any Overtime before you go out, or tell him you can't do it. And make sure you keep a record to check your payslips against. All a bit late for you but you never know you may return. Don't burn your bridges and tell the DOM to stick it up his arse. It may feel good art the time but you may come to regret it. Good Luck
Everyone normally learns the hard way (and in the meantime loses money). I'm sure RM do it on purpose, you imagine how much they save multiplied by every new starter in the business? If it's a good DO you might get a heads up from the Unit Rep, but a lot of them are only in for themselves. You might be lucky and get given some advice from more experienced Posties, once again some of them are just Selfish Idle Bastards.
I'll normally try and give a bit of advice. Don't prep households in your own time.... make sure you take, or claim, your meal breaks... and most importantly DO NOT WORK FOR FREE. Make sure the DOM authorises any Overtime before you go out, or tell him you can't do it. And make sure you keep a record to check your payslips against. All a bit late for you but you never know you may return. Don't burn your bridges and tell the DOM to stick it up his arse. It may feel good art the time but you may come to regret it. Good Luck
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3731
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Walked in first day.....Lino: "Here's a frame, here's a box of mail, it should follow the slots in order from top left, crack on, I'll get back to you".Dorset Plodder wrote:It would be nice if there was some kind of "Welcome Package" for new starters, from the Posties Point of View. You're normally rushed around by the DOM, who shows you the toilets and the fire exits and rushes you out on delivery!![]()
Shown the toilets and fire exits? You lucky people......LOL. Just wish the HSE would turn up at our office one day to find out
what H&S training has been given.
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Just an update for anyone else thinking of leaving
I've been in my new job a few weeks now, I work on a 2 day on 2 off rota with options for overtime which so far I haven't been pressured in to doing. Works out just under/over 30 hours a week, which is all I ever wanted at royal mail.
Not had my first proper paycheck yet so i'm skint for another a couple of weeks. When it does come around the pay is not bad at almost £8 an hour, I was told it had gone up 15p from what I thought it would be on the day I started, so that was good.
I work a mixture of early shifts and lates which personally I don't mind but someone with kids would probably struggle. I feel like I have time and energy outside of work to enjoy things which is the main reason I left royal mail.
It will work out about £150-200 or so less a month in wages than what I was getting. For the change in lifestyle I would happily be on less. Already I don't feel like I have to spend as much on Lucozade and chocolate and things like that to keep me going which will help.
I will see how this job is in a few months time once the 'honeymoon' period has worn off, so far i'm very happy to have left royal mail. Good luck to everyone on here.
I've been in my new job a few weeks now, I work on a 2 day on 2 off rota with options for overtime which so far I haven't been pressured in to doing. Works out just under/over 30 hours a week, which is all I ever wanted at royal mail.
Not had my first proper paycheck yet so i'm skint for another a couple of weeks. When it does come around the pay is not bad at almost £8 an hour, I was told it had gone up 15p from what I thought it would be on the day I started, so that was good.
I work a mixture of early shifts and lates which personally I don't mind but someone with kids would probably struggle. I feel like I have time and energy outside of work to enjoy things which is the main reason I left royal mail.
It will work out about £150-200 or so less a month in wages than what I was getting. For the change in lifestyle I would happily be on less. Already I don't feel like I have to spend as much on Lucozade and chocolate and things like that to keep me going which will help.
I will see how this job is in a few months time once the 'honeymoon' period has worn off, so far i'm very happy to have left royal mail. Good luck to everyone on here.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Glad it's working out ..... Nothing's changed at Royal Mail (except we've had someone leave, and guess what..they're not replacing him) Good Luck 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Time to leave
indurain wrote:I would have to agree you for being naïve, but also I was never told until a year or so later you can claim travel time I was only ever told to claim mileage. When you're new how are you supposed to know when it's a small office and no one else is in the same situation or tells you?
One might think a union rep would be round to you in the first week pointing that out. If one believed that the union reps gave two flying f***s about new starters, that is,
Everyone is on 'the worst round in the office'. However it is noticeable that most staff with any seniority whatsoever are never seen on some rounds even if they are reserves . . .indurain wrote:Again, I was on the worst round but there were one or two posties there who would say thing like ' oh it's really not much harder than this round' etc.
How do you know when you're new and you've only done the one round?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
I find that very amusing. Some of our "Old Mafia" have been on the same duty for the last 15 years or so. Yet theirs is the Hardest Duty in the office, you think they'd have moved by now wouldn't you?DGH wrote:
One might think a union rep would be round to you in the first week pointing that out. If one believed that the union reps gave two flying f***s about new starters, that is,
Totally Agree. Too many "Bad" Reps about. Only interested in what's in for them.![]()
Everyone is on 'the worst round in the office'. However it is noticeable that most staff with any seniority whatsoever are never seen on some rounds even if they are reserves . . .
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZDsUGiGqM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
play this the next time he's coming out with his latest tale of woe.
play this the next time he's coming out with his latest tale of woe.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Yeah I remember that tune Wackowacko74 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZDsUGiGqM
play this the next time he's coming out with his latest tale of woe.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Time to leave
I don't blame you. This is what it is like for me at the moment - only Tuesdays off and no consecutive days. Also had a bad start with little training/introduction and no payment for my induction. Also no mention of how to claim overtime, found out from another postie. Also no fixed route. I am feeling quite mad about it.indurain wrote:After nearly 3 years I've decided I've had enough of royal mail and I'm hopefully starting a new job in the next few weeks.
Sick of being a 2nd class citizen as a 'part timer' , every Tuesday off, only consecutive days off about twice in the last year, getting moved all over the place with no notice during 'summer time' working, less holidays than full timers regardless of how much overtime I do etc etc.
The last 18 months or so have been better as I've been at a different office doing rurals about half the time. The first year or so was a joke, supposed to be based at an office about 10 miles away but never saw it once, every day at an office 45 mins away doing the longest round there, staying on Saturdays to prep d2d's for the following week after all the full timers had gone home (there were about 200 more on my round than any others there, obviously I only got paid half as much for delivering these ).
I think the only reason I stuck it out at first was the thought I might get my own easy round one day. The trouble is now things are a little easier in respect to the actual delivery - most of the time, i'm still treated like s**t as a part timer and only now I've realised mostly through this forum how much I was shafted to begin with it just makes me resent the job and royal mail.
My notice period is 4 weeks I might tell my manager i'm happy to work a week or so, or I might just walk out.
Good luck everyone
I have applied for another job more suited to my experience, hopefully i will get it. If not, then someone else is looking to create a position in their company for me....but it is not guaranteed.
Hope it goes well for you.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Time to leave
If the unions don't give a ****, maybe the newspapers are ones to go to.DGH wrote:indurain wrote:I would have to agree you for being naïve, but also I was never told until a year or so later you can claim travel time I was only ever told to claim mileage. When you're new how are you supposed to know when it's a small office and no one else is in the same situation or tells you?
One might think a union rep would be round to you in the first week pointing that out. If one believed that the union reps gave two flying f***s about new starters, that is,
Everyone is on 'the worst round in the office'. However it is noticeable that most staff with any seniority whatsoever are never seen on some rounds even if they are reserves . . .indurain wrote:Again, I was on the worst round but there were one or two posties there who would say thing like ' oh it's really not much harder than this round' etc.
How do you know when you're new and you've only done the one round?
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Time to leave
Mine says that too!indurain wrote:My first contract was a week I checked my newest one from 2015 tonight it says 4 weeks.
Seems they slipped that in to a lot of new contracts reading similar recent posts.