dingo wrote:I have to say as someone who has campaigned for an incentive scheme I think there some within the union who would not support a bonus scheme but that is a side issue as at the moment Royal Mail senior management are totally against one.
Any ideas as to why senior management are against such an idea? The only one that springs immediately to my mind is that giving a worthwhile bonus amount to everybody is actually kind of expensive given how many of us there are!
dingo wrote:They now seem to want to just move to later deliveries to capture the next day growth in parcels. They want to use new technology to cut costs such as Trimble , PDAs ( current first scan and last scan providing their working ) and the new data capture initiative which Royal Mail want to trail in offices in the new year.
In theory I don't have any kind of problem with the likes of Trimble ... In practice I do because (a) the vans aren't the same, (b) it doesn't tell you you're about to have a fault but rather that you had a fault at some point in the last few seconds and (c) sometimes it decides you've had a fault but doesn't beep to tell you! (One of the vans I drive, I can enter a certain roundabout with a green light, and exit with an orange light having not had a beep!)
They also always seem to go for half-arsed "solutions" that aren't. The handbrake warning is a classic example of course - it
could warn you if you'd opened the driver's door without the handbrake engaged, but not it just randomly warns you to put the handbrake on even if you've just started the vehicle (with the handbrake on!) to drive away. Equally that whole "360 check" stuff - pretty much every other professional delivery outfit (i.e. the UPS/DPD/DHL's of this world, rather than Hermes!) has reversing cameras fitted to their vans, we get told to walk around them before getting in!
dingo wrote:On top of this will be announcement early after Christmas to close the DB scheme from March 2018 which will create the biggest saving in costs for Royal Mail in decades which will stitch up all of us.
It may well stitch up the current members of the DB scheme, but depending upon how they handle the issue it could actually (but I'll concede quite possibly won't) be a nice win for the people who are not a member of it!