ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How late back were you in your first day?
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Been with RM 18 years and quite often get back 45 mins late 
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
WOBBLY wrote:Been with RM 18 years and quite often get back 45 mins late
That's exactly what I was going to say. Not 18yrs but regularly late back. So what? It takes the time it takes.
As for a 3hr delivery, i sometimes cover a PT round that is only set as 3.5 hrs of delivery time (other duties are 4.5 to 5.5 depending on IPS element). That is the smallest in the office. Irritating as a full-timer as you are sent around the whole rest of the town clearing bits up to fill your hours! So who cares how long a walk is - we work until knock-off time now, right?...
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
First day? Think I had 3 bags and would have got done well before time and then a handful of letters on the day mail, mind you this was over 25 years ago
The jobs changed just a little bit since then 
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
I used to finish at least an hour after the other posties who laughed at me as they passed me in their cars on their home. You get up to speed and then you become a reserve and it starts again for another few months. New starts have a tough time as they think its going to be easy lol.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
How late back were you in your first day?
30 - 45 mins late on your first day? That's excellent. I'm at least 45 mins late every wed, thurs and fri (after 9 years).Kirsty952002 wrote:Today I did a van duty, we left late, heavy post, and did our lapsing (where I got sent the wrong way!) got back about half an hour - 45 mins late.
Essentially I am looking for a bit of reassurance that this happens to others on there first duty out and it's not because I am a snail, lol!
Thanks anyway!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
How late back were you in your first day?
Unless of course, you want the overtime.Postie45 wrote:you shouldnt be doing lapsing if you dont have time
-
DocketLefty
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Some of our guys get back from 12.30 everyday.... others get back 5pm onwards. Our office is pretty screwed. Lots of runners & lots of people taking full advantage of extended delivery. I have done many duties in the office & some take 2.5 hours, some take 5 hours. It's crazy.... all walks are meant to be equal. The 2.5 hour duties regularly double up and ghost, the same few who normally get all the IPS.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
The manager is happy to pay o/t with people going home an hour and a half early in my office you are sent out to help if others are having problems.DocketLefty wrote:Some of our guys get back from 12.30 everyday.... others get back 5pm onwards. Our office is pretty screwed. Lots of runners & lots of people taking full advantage of extended delivery. I have done many duties in the office & some take 2.5 hours, some take 5 hours. It's crazy.... all walks are meant to be equal. The 2.5 hour duties regularly double up and ghost, the same few who normally get all the IPS.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
On my first day alone I think I was out until about 2-2.30pm, that was a Saturday and I got out around 8-8.30am so a fair bit late really, on that duty now I'm done by 1.30 most days. The worst day I had was my first time with polling cards, been in the job about 3 or 4 months, still not entirely sure of everything, I was out till about 5pm...
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Sorry to offend you, was slightly tongue in cheek. However, I thought we'd moved as a business to 4hr deliveries and wasn't aware there were any duties with such a light delivery. As long as you work your full hrs it's no problem. As a matter of interest how many contract hrs is that 2-3hr delivery? Is it 20 hrs? No offence intended mate. Chill out.abzo wrote:What's wrong with you?rambo1 wrote:I'm sorry, I thought you said you're delivery only takes 2-3......oh hang on, you did! Are you sure you work for royal mail? Just saying coz my delivery takes 5-6hrs from leaving the office to getting back. Ah the fairness of royal mail. No, seriously, how the hell do you deliver a full round in 2-3hrs. Please fill us in, I'm sure it's not just me wondering as I haven't delivered a round in less than 3hrs since a Tuesday about 15 yrs ago.abzo wrote:On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hoursdidn't realise I was offending someone by stating how long my usual delivery takes. So what if it takes 2-3 hours compared to your 5-6 hours, I thought after 15 years you would come to know that there are different duties in all offices with varying times that it takes to deliver, And lifes unfair so deal with it, if you don't like it you know where the door is no need to come on here and have a moan about things being unfair, when you don't know how my office is compared to yours.
And im sure you would like me to fill you in how my duty takes only 2-3 hours, well considering its a hct duty and pretty much a lot of the duties in my office are hct duties that should give you a little idea of why it does not take us much long to deliver and dont get me wrong we do have van shares as well but the area we deliver to is very densely populated and is in very close proximity to our office hence why we use hcts. And i calculate this from the first delivery point to the last if you want travelling times to and from the area i deliver to then its roughly 10 mins to go there 10 mins to get back. Tell me how your duty is so that i can get an idea of how unfair you seem to think it is?![]()
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
Btw all our HTC deliveries are 4hr. Or supposed to be, anyway.rambo1 wrote:Sorry to offend you, was slightly tongue in cheek. However, I thought we'd moved as a business to 4hr deliveries and wasn't aware there were any duties with such a light delivery. As long as you work your full hrs it's no problem. As a matter of interest how many contract hrs is that 2-3hr delivery? Is it 20 hrs? No offence intended mate. Chill out.abzo wrote:What's wrong with you?rambo1 wrote:I'm sorry, I thought you said you're delivery only takes 2-3......oh hang on, you did! Are you sure you work for royal mail? Just saying coz my delivery takes 5-6hrs from leaving the office to getting back. Ah the fairness of royal mail. No, seriously, how the hell do you deliver a full round in 2-3hrs. Please fill us in, I'm sure it's not just me wondering as I haven't delivered a round in less than 3hrs since a Tuesday about 15 yrs ago.abzo wrote:On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hoursdidn't realise I was offending someone by stating how long my usual delivery takes. So what if it takes 2-3 hours compared to your 5-6 hours, I thought after 15 years you would come to know that there are different duties in all offices with varying times that it takes to deliver, And lifes unfair so deal with it, if you don't like it you know where the door is no need to come on here and have a moan about things being unfair, when you don't know how my office is compared to yours.
And im sure you would like me to fill you in how my duty takes only 2-3 hours, well considering its a hct duty and pretty much a lot of the duties in my office are hct duties that should give you a little idea of why it does not take us much long to deliver and dont get me wrong we do have van shares as well but the area we deliver to is very densely populated and is in very close proximity to our office hence why we use hcts. And i calculate this from the first delivery point to the last if you want travelling times to and from the area i deliver to then its roughly 10 mins to go there 10 mins to get back. Tell me how your duty is so that i can get an idea of how unfair you seem to think it is?![]()
-
abzo
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 00:36
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
no worries. And I have come to find out there are quite a few duties in my office that are a bit unbalanced in terms of how long they can take as some are very long walks whilst others can be concentrated to a small area, Last monday i did overtime on another guys walk and it only consisted of one big estate and a block of flats across the street from it, and next week I will be doing overtime on another walk that is very long consisting of many tower blocks and long streets. The point i am trying to make here is that its very unbalanced in terms of the way some walks are structured in my office so some have delivery times of 2-3 hours whilst others can go over to 4-6+ hours. As for what contract im employed on, im currently on 25 hours part time so i do 5 hours a day, 1.5 hours of which is spent indoors due to our management not letting anyone out till 10:30am so by the time i get to my delivery start point its close to 11:00am.rambo1 wrote:Sorry to offend you, was slightly tongue in cheek. However, I thought we'd moved as a business to 4hr deliveries and wasn't aware there were any duties with such a light delivery. As long as you work your full hrs it's no problem. As a matter of interest how many contract hrs is that 2-3hr delivery? Is it 20 hrs? No offence intended mate. Chill out.abzo wrote:What's wrong with you?rambo1 wrote:I'm sorry, I thought you said you're delivery only takes 2-3......oh hang on, you did! Are you sure you work for royal mail? Just saying coz my delivery takes 5-6hrs from leaving the office to getting back. Ah the fairness of royal mail. No, seriously, how the hell do you deliver a full round in 2-3hrs. Please fill us in, I'm sure it's not just me wondering as I haven't delivered a round in less than 3hrs since a Tuesday about 15 yrs ago.abzo wrote:On my first time alone i finished on time. But the latest i ever finished was 1 hour 30 mins. Although i have heard stories of other posties who finished well into the evening around 8 - 9 pm when they started. So my advice is don't worry about 45 mins, i tend to go over once each week by an hour. But so long as your prep is done properly you should be fine outside. I remember when i started a month ago i was one of the last people out of the office, now though I am one of the first ones out of the office, only thing that delays me now is late missorts and late mech mail coming in. Other than that I have calculated my delivery time to only take 2 - 3 hoursdidn't realise I was offending someone by stating how long my usual delivery takes. So what if it takes 2-3 hours compared to your 5-6 hours, I thought after 15 years you would come to know that there are different duties in all offices with varying times that it takes to deliver, And lifes unfair so deal with it, if you don't like it you know where the door is no need to come on here and have a moan about things being unfair, when you don't know how my office is compared to yours.
And im sure you would like me to fill you in how my duty takes only 2-3 hours, well considering its a hct duty and pretty much a lot of the duties in my office are hct duties that should give you a little idea of why it does not take us much long to deliver and dont get me wrong we do have van shares as well but the area we deliver to is very densely populated and is in very close proximity to our office hence why we use hcts. And i calculate this from the first delivery point to the last if you want travelling times to and from the area i deliver to then its roughly 10 mins to go there 10 mins to get back. Tell me how your duty is so that i can get an idea of how unfair you seem to think it is?![]()
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
How late back were you in your first day?
You were 45min over on your first day and you are worried? I almost had to laugh.
I'm almost year into the job and go over 1 or 2 hours a day on a regular basis. As a reserve, I am moved from office to office and walk to walk. It isnt unusual to be in a different office and on a different walk every day of the week. It is impossible to finish on time under these conditions. Other reserves are understanding. Old timers who have only done 1 walk since joining 40 years ago berate me for being slow. Managers often ask if I crawl around. I personally dont worry. I have heard from HR and the Union that as long as you deliver a reasonable amount of mail in your contracted hours, you cant be sacked for performance issues. Obviously, if you can only deliver one bundle in four hours, that is a problem, but if you do most of a frame and cant manage a couple of roads well so what. I always ask if they would rather I go over and they pay me or I cut off... I havent seen a single manager take the cut off option yet.
I'm almost year into the job and go over 1 or 2 hours a day on a regular basis. As a reserve, I am moved from office to office and walk to walk. It isnt unusual to be in a different office and on a different walk every day of the week. It is impossible to finish on time under these conditions. Other reserves are understanding. Old timers who have only done 1 walk since joining 40 years ago berate me for being slow. Managers often ask if I crawl around. I personally dont worry. I have heard from HR and the Union that as long as you deliver a reasonable amount of mail in your contracted hours, you cant be sacked for performance issues. Obviously, if you can only deliver one bundle in four hours, that is a problem, but if you do most of a frame and cant manage a couple of roads well so what. I always ask if they would rather I go over and they pay me or I cut off... I havent seen a single manager take the cut off option yet.