masterblaster wrote:They are all flat, the are all one-dimensional (or 1D).
A 2D barcode is a graphical image that stores information both horizontally -- as one-dimensional bar codes do -- and vertically. As a result of that, 2D codes can store up to 7,089 characters, significantly greater than is possible with the 20-character capacity of a 1D barcode.
Still one dimensional in the true sense. Ordinary barcodes work the same scanned in either 180° axis so these must be 2D as well.
Ummmm no...
Normal 1D barcodes only use one dimension - that's why only the width of the bars matters, but not the height. 2D barcodes the height matters as well. The reason 1D barcodes work either way up is because the scanners can tell if it's upside-down or not.
If you want to get technical, they're all 3D, otherwise they could not exist in our universe.
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
cpsteve wrote:I do not think the end to end tracking of 2d codes is being used just yet so it not a problem if they do not scan.
It's a long way from that happening yet, many parcels don't have barcodes on them. Only Tracked and specials get scanned in inward MCs
There must be scanning on the outbound side of the MC as our DIM knows how many 2D barcodes each walk has........
For those on the old PDAs, the new type read the barcodes much easier, even some of the smudged winkled ones! I think I've only had a couple in the past month not read, they can be entered manually on the new PDAs though :)
cpsteve wrote:I do not think the end to end tracking of 2d codes is being used just yet so it not a problem if they do not scan.
It's a long way from that happening yet, many parcels don't have barcodes on them. Only Tracked and specials get scanned in inward MCs
There must be scanning on the outbound side of the MC as our DIM knows how many 2D barcodes each walk has........
For those on the old PDAs, the new type read the barcodes much easier, even some of the smudged winkled ones! I think I've only had a couple in the past month not read, they can be entered manually on the new PDAs though :)
Thats good at least when the service becomes trackable by the customer we will be ready to deliver it properly.
Mark26 wrote:Interesting, so the reason it is preferred to scan the 2D barcode is to give more tracking information over the 1D.
I tend to scan anything printed alongside the franking but not inside windows etc.
The photo attached shows a lot of letters which have the barcode printed, I tend to scan them.
Edit: Stan_lers quotes "Anything inside an envelope window, or rectangular/half shaped barcodes, or on UK Mail, TNT etc parcels, doesn't need scanning." So no need?
I've seen these barcodes but wasn't aware that we're supposed to scan them.