ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Same walk

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

motherhubbard wrote:For training purposes and to allow you to familiarize yourself with the job you should be kept on the same duty for a period of weeks.
After that you will be a reserve covering whatever needs covering.
He will not necessarily be a reserve it will depend on what he was actually hired to cover, we often hire floaters as the 3 reserves we have like being reserves as they get the "good rurals" for a couple of weeks every year, they have seniority to sign for walks but usually sign for reserve duties, they get their average of 1 in 4 off saturdays so are not missing out there
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Chewster »

Also, as Darwin said, you can usually find where you're going easily enough by following your bundle, but be aware that not all frames are in the proper order. The round I got trained on, the first half of the frame is in order then the second half is a bit of a pick and mix. The boy training me was helpful enough to write out the order for me, so that I could bundle it up properly and follow the round properly while out on foot. Don't be afraid to take heaps of notes while you're learning the ropes :thumbup
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

Thanks everybody :thumbup From what I gather so far I will be getting a bundle of mail and need to sort it out by street?
suz67
Posts: 105
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 15:36
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by suz67 »

NightOwl wrote:Thanks everybody :thumbup From what I gather so far I will be getting a bundle of mail and need to sort it out by street?
Lol
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Creditshampoo »

NightOwl wrote:Thanks everybody :thumbup From what I gather so far I will be getting a bundle of mail and need to sort it out by street?
Imagine a frame with loads of pigeon slots. Each slot is a house.
Trolleyed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 56
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Trolleyed »

I was kept on the same duty for about 3 months, mainly cos there was nobody else to do it. There was talk of me learning some others in the same office but then the revision happened and it's now my own duty. It's only part time which works well for me due to kiddies at school and partner working etc. Only thing is it has 460 calls already with circa 200 more to be built so I'll be booted off it sooner rather than later I should imagine.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by OnAFlyer »

You'd be lucky in my office, new starters are all over the place including being sent to other offices.

As for doing the job, just follow the mail around. We didn't have smartphones years ago and managed fine, it isn't rocket science. Assuming the frame runs correctly (that's the biggest issue you'll face imo) then the next address will never be far away, you shouldn't need to look at a map unless you're moving the van between loops and don't know where the next one starts.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by wannabeek »

I have done dozens of duties totally blind, rural and town, and agree completely. You may well need a map or some accurate directions to get to your first delivery point and from that point you follow the mail around the duty. There will inevitably be parts where you turn back on yourself or take a side route but these are usually quite easily worked out. There will also inevitably be a few rogue addresses with impossible-to-locate letterboxes. I'd just bring them back and ask how to find them next time.

A useful tip - there's usually great emphasis on explaining how to get to your first delivery point - make sure that you know how to get back again. Very few duties finish at the same point they begin and every experienced postie will assume that you already know how to get back to the DO - it's not always true!

I wouldn't bother with checking google maps as you go around the duty but it is very handy if you have a GPS device to just turn it on at the start of the duty and then you can see where you went (and went wrong) during the day once it's over.
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

Thanks. What sort of GPS would you suggest if any? Glad this forum is about- putting my mind at ease a lot! :thumbup
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Chewster »

The app "MapMyWalk" is pretty good for your phone, it maps where you walk and has all the usual info like speed and stuff like that. I find it to be fairly accurate, and it'll keep tracking you while you drive as well
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by wannabeek »

Each to their own, I use 'runkeeper'. There are loads of free ones available. I use the one that gets me extra points with the Fitbit watch.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by Chewster »

I've yet to get a fitbit, that's on the list after car tax, insurance and MOT...they say it comes in threes...

So you'd recommend the fitbit overall? I've been humming and heying over whether or not to get one for a while now.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by wannabeek »

It's not for everybody as it's a 'lifestyle' accessory, as in you wear it all day every day and it can get a bit compulsive to get that 'buzz' from it when you hit the goal.

It tracks how you sleep, your heart rate and every activity you do. Some would find that discomforting to be monitored so closely.

If you're into fitness then it's a great incentive to do more, yet will probably make you feel guilty when you don't. If you're not into fitness or gadgets generally then stay away as it will only pee you off.
NightOwl
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 12:41
Gender: Male

Same walk

Post by NightOwl »

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup