ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dog bites

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by Barbel »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I HATE BLOODY DOGS! :thumbdown As far as I'm concerned they should all be made into sausages and fed to the homeless!

If ANY dog is loose in a garden I just walk straight past and endorse the mail "Dog Loose". :thumbup If it's running around a Cul-de-sac or Close I'll endorse the whole loop! :thumbup :thumbup

Latest I had was a guy saying, "Oh you're a New Postie....come in I'll introduce you to my dog"! :shock: I said, "No Thanks, I cover a different duty everyday, most with 500-600 houses, how many dogs do you think there are? If your dogs out loose you won't get any mail". He seemed a bit upset that I didn't like his dog! Over the years I have been bitten (non to badly) on Fingers.... Hand... Forearm.... Backside.....Calf ...... and many attempted bites on Hi-Vis and Jackets! :cuppa
I must admit since doing this job I'm beginning to dislike dogs myself even though I own one myself! You don't even have to enter their property, you can be walking down the street and they're dying to break loose from their lead to get to you on the other side of the road! I don't know what it is, I'm thinking it must be the high viz that sends them mental as It doesn't happen when I'm in regular clothes walking down the street.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by Barbel »

Chewster wrote:Yeah I find that collies are the worst. I'm a dog person and I like to think I know dogs so if there's a dog in a garden then I have a look at it and judge whether it looks friendly or aggressive (some will say I just shouldn't go in at all but I'm sure other experienced dog owners on here can also tell whether a dog is aggressive or just excited and barky) and as yet, I've NEVER felt it's been safe for me to go into a garden with a collie on the loose.

So far I've had two occasions where I've absolutely bricked it with dogs on my rounds - one was this big spinone (I think) that got out and came galloping towards me barking all the way but luckily it just wanted to say hello. The other was when I went into a back garden to stick a parcel in a (lockable!) shed. I didn't realise that they kept the dog outside, and when I shut the gate behind me, I turned round to see this HUGE (taller than me when on its hind legs and I'm 6 foot) husky/malamute looking thing running towards me! I thought to myself "well this is it, this monster is gonna tear me apart" but thankfully, it was just friendly and excitable, I think a previous postie had been giving it treats as it straight away stuck it's snout in my pockets lol
Yeah I can't stand collies either, I have a couple on my round who go mad when they see me and I'd never enter a garden if there was one roaming around, Jack Russell's are evil as well and would never trust them.
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Dog bites

Post by music4essex »

27 yrs 8 dog Bites , 2 very serious , with varient times off,

i person taken to court by the police , who then failed to turn up to court , for the defendants to be awarded compensation :arrrghhh

Essex mum :d'oh!
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by Chewster »

Barbel wrote:
Chewster wrote:Yeah I find that collies are the worst. I'm a dog person and I like to think I know dogs so if there's a dog in a garden then I have a look at it and judge whether it looks friendly or aggressive (some will say I just shouldn't go in at all but I'm sure other experienced dog owners on here can also tell whether a dog is aggressive or just excited and barky) and as yet, I've NEVER felt it's been safe for me to go into a garden with a collie on the loose.

So far I've had two occasions where I've absolutely bricked it with dogs on my rounds - one was this big spinone (I think) that got out and came galloping towards me barking all the way but luckily it just wanted to say hello. The other was when I went into a back garden to stick a parcel in a (lockable!) shed. I didn't realise that they kept the dog outside, and when I shut the gate behind me, I turned round to see this HUGE (taller than me when on its hind legs and I'm 6 foot) husky/malamute looking thing running towards me! I thought to myself "well this is it, this monster is gonna tear me apart" but thankfully, it was just friendly and excitable, I think a previous postie had been giving it treats as it straight away stuck it's snout in my pockets lol
Yeah I can't stand collies either, I have a couple on my round who go mad when they see me and I'd never enter a garden if there was one roaming around, Jack Russell's are evil as well and would never trust them.
All the Jack Russels I encounter at work are fine but I think I'm just lucky. Terriers in general are little bastards.

I've always said though, an arsehole dog is the result of an arsehole owner. Generally if the owner is nice, I find the dogs to be nice too....except collies. They just don't like posties!
DocketLefty
Posts: 112
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by DocketLefty »

Me 'Good morning, sorry I can't come in to the front garden because of the dog'

'It's ok, he won't hurt you'

'Thats what they all say'

*Customer snatches mail out my hand because i made him come and get the mail*
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by Pathfinder »

Had one last week, some sort of pitbull! It was going mental as I was walking (quite far) away from the fence trying to get to the house next door the owners were just watching it while sitting in the garden. Not one attempt to control he dog.

It wasn't far from getting over the fence.. Pee'd me off for the rest of the day
catch22
Posts: 196
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 21:12
Gender: Male

Dog bites

Post by catch22 »

Work colleague got bit.
No accident form filled in.
But manager was told. Manager couldn't be bothered filling it in.
She has a scar 1.5inches. On their back. And she's frightened in case it happens again.
Is she right to sue?
We are not working for dog fodder. Who is liable?