ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
-
Postman Matt
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Feb 2016, 17:58
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
That has been my plan all along. Naively or not, my plan was to get in the building via agency, then do what's needed to be done to learn quickly, impress and get the DOM/managers to like me, in the hope it would lead to an RM contract offer to get off agency. The naive part may well have been that they'd give/offer an RM contract, and more so the PT/FT aspect
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
FORGET FULL TIME NOW IN ROYAL MAIL MAX YOU CAN GET 25 HOURS CONTRACT.
-
claretandblue
- Posts: 914
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
No chance of full time, our most senior part timers with 10 years plus service got made up to 35 hours but get paid for 39 when they are working.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
Reason Royal Mail give out 25 hours contract so they can save money on
Annual Leave pay, floating week off pay (if you work 6 days a week), sick pay (after 1 year of work), pro rata bonuses, and smaller delivery supplement payment. it all add up to office savings. But there are plenty of overtime. Best hope is to apply for full time walk everyone hate/reserve duty when the vacancy come up on notice board and hope no one apply for it. It is not connivence for workers.
Annual Leave pay, floating week off pay (if you work 6 days a week), sick pay (after 1 year of work), pro rata bonuses, and smaller delivery supplement payment. it all add up to office savings. But there are plenty of overtime. Best hope is to apply for full time walk everyone hate/reserve duty when the vacancy come up on notice board and hope no one apply for it. It is not connivence for workers.
-
White Van
- PARCELFORCE
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 22:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: PFW
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
Good luck. I've been directly employed as a Saturday worker on a revolving three month contract for the last year and have been working five days a week as O/T (along with two other colleagues) and we have just been moved up to forty hours on another revolving three month. At least we are able to accrue holiday pay now but it will probably be another year before anything solid happens. As for agency, I've taken over the route that an agency driver had for two years, they ditched him overnight.Postman Matt wrote:Ok, so I know I'm still very new - I've only been at my DO since Monday, and am agency (Manpower), of which I'm told it's only a 12 week placement, but if I'm required after that I will go onto the regular rate of pay (first 12 weeks are £8 an hour - not good! But then I'm told if I'm kept on it's £13 an hour - much more do able)
My question is, I know it's somewhat of a lottery to go agency to perm, but are full time (i.e., 36hrs+ a week) contracts gone now? If not, is there reasonable chance I might get one after 3/6/12 months, or is there zero chance? I'm being told by the longer serving postie's there that at best I might get a 25hr contract, although I would still be required to do 40/48hrs a week, but that at any time I could be reverted to contract and only be "required", and thus paid, for 25hrs only.
That to me is a big gamble - putting in the initial 12 weeks at near minimum wage, then potentially a year only to find I'm not given a perm contract, and if I do only getting a part time one. Risky, and I generally require something a bit more concrete than that!
-
Donnygav93
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 12 Dec 2014, 15:41
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
I wish you luck with your possible conversion
It may be some comfort to tell you that I started with a agency November 15 and was set on in January (although I was offered a contract at a different office to the one I worked at as agency)
My contract is for 24hrs per week but I've had no problem getting more hours
Hope it happens for you
It may be some comfort to tell you that I started with a agency November 15 and was set on in January (although I was offered a contract at a different office to the one I worked at as agency)
My contract is for 24hrs per week but I've had no problem getting more hours
Hope it happens for you
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
Lots of p/t made up to f/t in our office thanks to a good rep and a new Dom that could see the problems and agreed to fix them.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
I am surprised Royal Mail still use employment agencies. Especially as it costs them upwards to £16 an hour - that is having to pay the agency and the guy who works for the agency. Our depot only ever seems to use in operational emergencies!
But I guess, if you are getting regular work outdoors everyday then I would suspect that there is a real strong possibility that Royal Mail will take you on.
One or two of our guys got their hours made up to full-time. But its the exception, not the norm.
But I guess, if you are getting regular work outdoors everyday then I would suspect that there is a real strong possibility that Royal Mail will take you on.
One or two of our guys got their hours made up to full-time. But its the exception, not the norm.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
zzzidane
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 22:36
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
GT. How recently were these P/T staff made up to F/T & Which area is your office in please?? just a rough area will do if you dont want to give 2 much away! TIA
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
At my office 6 full timers have left since the RM pledged to protect FT jobs. As of yet only 1 person was made up,now the office wants to cut another 100hrs aweek.
We have more PT contracts than FT contracts now.
We have more PT contracts than FT contracts now.
-
JeremyFisher
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Full time contract - never gonna happen?
It'll never happen, whenever someone leaves the business they are replaced with lower contract employees.