ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

one of our duties has one long road that changes its name 4 times, and each change is the type of road not the first part. Road, Close, Avenue, and Rise.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by steve1873 »

i have been in the job nearly 12 years. If this "rule" was true and enforced, I would be out the door in a month or so. Barely a week goes by where I don't mistakenly misdeliver and then usually realise straight after the fact. In reality, it is probably a daily occurence lol.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Get mail out of the bundle for the next address while standing still, not only are you more likely to spot mistakes, but you are also less likely to trip (because you will be looking where you are going).

If you have an accident that results in time off work and it comes to light you were "filtering" while walking, I believe you could lose your enhanced RM sick pay.

Yes, standing still to filter will take more time (easily 2+ seconds per house, depending on number of items per address, gets silly at Xmas time), but I believe delivery spans are supposed to account for stationary filtering.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by DB1100 »

steve1873 wrote:i have been in the job nearly 12 years. If this "rule" was true and enforced, I would be out the door in a month or so. Barely a week goes by where I don't mistakenly misdeliver and then usually realise straight after the fact. In reality, it is probably a daily occurence lol.
Me as well,and thats just the one's i am aware of.
For we were soldiers once,and young
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by meercat »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: Yes, standing still to filter will take more time (easily 2+ seconds per house, depending on number of items per address, gets silly at Xmas time), but I believe delivery spans are supposed to account for stationary filtering.
Indeed stationary filtering is not optional it is the prescribed way to deliver for H+S reasons.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

meercat wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: Yes, standing still to filter will take more time (easily 2+ seconds per house, depending on number of items per address, gets silly at Xmas time), but I believe delivery spans are supposed to account for stationary filtering.
Indeed stationary filtering is not optional it is the prescribed way to deliver for H+S reasons.
whereas stationery filtering is a DOM support role and unless the pencils are too sharp there are no H&S implications. :nervous :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Energie_man
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 10:32

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by Energie_man »

eastie wrote:complaints are another grey area .
I had a complaint last week about putting a p739 through without knocking.
I questioned the DOM as it was over a week ago and said " how do you know its me ( I knew it wasn't me ) as on P/L there are 2 of us and it could have been my partner (driver) with a large parcel"
Secondly and this is what usually happens nine time out of 10 is that the driver comes with a large parcel and knocks on the door with no answer and leaves a docket.
The walker then delivers the mail to the same address later on and the recipient is now up and sees the postman deliver the mail and the p739 which was from earlier and then presumes that the walker has posted through the p739 as well without knocking.
They don't come out every time and just love to complain.
in the 3 years I have been doing P/L this has happened numerous times with people coming out and abusing until you tell them to look at the time of the P739.
Doesnt your driver take everything ie mail and any other packets this address might have with the oversize parcels?
Thats how we work so you aint visiting same address twice...
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by RTP »

Dave74 wrote:Ok thanks peeps. Will talk to him on Monday. Have a good weekend :)
How did you get on?
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by Chewster »

toomuchcoke wrote:
GT85 wrote:Misdelivery is just one of those things that happens now and again, get into the habit of flick checking your bundle at the doorstep and it's a good idea to have carry a few P6543 misdelivery cards in your bag for when you realise you've made a mistake.
If you do the sorting, or at least the tying up, then if you know there are particular problem areas then it can be worth your time checking before starting tying up. There's a round in my office which has $THING Drive and $THING Place next to each other, and I have been known :whistle to make the occasional mis-sort between the two. As a result I tend to check both streets fully before tying them up, they're both only 10 houses or so long so it doesn't take too long. Wouldn't do it for the entire round obviously, but those two streets are the case where I'm both (a) most likely to mis-sort and (b) not notice whilst delivering.
On one of my duties I have a Thingy Road, Thingy Drive, Thingy Circle, Thingy Crescent, and Thingy Place. I often catch myself at the door with a letter (and sometimes even a parcel) for one of the other streets, and again, that's just the ones I know about! Thankfully most of the customers have been decent enough to not complain, but you do get the odd one who likes to kick up a fuss over anything and everything. I had one who put in a formal complaint because a letter we delivered to their house was addressed wrong. In actual fact, it was addressed right but it was a gone away that we were not aware of. We work for royal mail, not the general cencus!
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by Chewster »

eastie wrote:complaints are another grey area .
I had a complaint last week about putting a p739 through without knocking.
I questioned the DOM as it was over a week ago and said " how do you know its me ( I knew it wasn't me ) as on P/L there are 2 of us and it could have been my partner (driver) with a large parcel"
Secondly and this is what usually happens nine time out of 10 is that the driver comes with a large parcel and knocks on the door with no answer and leaves a docket.
The walker then delivers the mail to the same address later on and the recipient is now up and sees the postman deliver the mail and the p739 which was from earlier and then presumes that the walker has posted through the p739 as well without knocking.
They don't come out every time and just love to complain.
in the 3 years I have been doing P/L this has happened numerous times with people coming out and abusing until you tell them to look at the time of the P739.
I find customers have a hard time reading the p739. There have been a few times they've taken ages to answer the door (apparently they can't hear the doorbell or me hammering on the door but they can hear the letterbox alright...), and they've come chasing me down the street with the p739 to tell me that they were in fact in, only for me to point out that I've clearly written "ITEM IN SHED" on the ticket...
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by Dave74 »

Been busy but I have just read the latests posts. Thanks people, good to know that I'm not the only one to mis-deliver mail :)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by POSTMAN »

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death,taxes,wankey Royal Mail managers,and postie misdeliveries.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Mis-delivery (third strike and you're out?)

Post by steve1873 »

I did 1 today (that I know about) wandering down the street, mind on what I was having for tea tonight. Mail for number 17, then no mail until 25, which was posted through 23's door.

Oh well.

I had a Singapore Fried Rice with Curry Sauce for those of you wondering what the outcome was! :chuckle