ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
@spedley
I didn't sign for the overtime because I didn't know about it. The Manager wanted me to tell him directly. Now I understand why.
I'm going to sign for all overtime now. I found the sheets in the office the other day.
I also joined CWU... going to seek out the Union Rep and ask him/her about Banking Hours.
@MrJordan. I was lulled into a false sense of security because the DOM at my training office was really fair. I guess like everywhere there are good managers and bad ones. Beware if you get transferred or lent out to another office.
I'm going to sign for all overtime now. I found the sheets in the office the other day.
I also joined CWU... going to seek out the Union Rep and ask him/her about Banking Hours.
@MrJordan. I was lulled into a false sense of security because the DOM at my training office was really fair. I guess like everywhere there are good managers and bad ones. Beware if you get transferred or lent out to another office.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
I think they mean say their contract hours finish at 1 but the duty finishes at 2. Book the duty but end up finishing at 1...so an hour earlierSurreypostie wrote:How can overtime take you to your finish time? Your finish time is exactly that, working until that time doesn't get you any overtime no matter how early other people finish.sophie97 wrote:always found this annoying doing overtime on a tuesday. I may do an hours overtime, everyone else finishes an hour early, i finish an hour early too but the overtime takes me up to my finish time, the result is i dont get any extra pay yet i do more work
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
I talked to the Union Rep in my Delivery Office today.
Apparently the DOMS have every right to bank hours during a single week, Monday to Sunday. They can't bank hours between weeks. So if you did Overtime on Saturday 6th, they can't write that off against undertime done in the following week, say Monday 8th, but can bank / write it off on the 5 days preceeding, so Monday 1st to Friday 5th.
Apparently this is also a recent rule change following privatisation. They couldn't bank hours like this before.
Apparently the DOMS have every right to bank hours during a single week, Monday to Sunday. They can't bank hours between weeks. So if you did Overtime on Saturday 6th, they can't write that off against undertime done in the following week, say Monday 8th, but can bank / write it off on the 5 days preceeding, so Monday 1st to Friday 5th.
Apparently this is also a recent rule change following privatisation. They couldn't bank hours like this before.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
I'd get another rep if I was you, I'm guessing that one is in the doms pocket, on an easy round and getting all the days off he wants!
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
I will definitely confirm it with another rep in another office. Cheers.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
He is confusing the 30 minutes flexibility agreement which is voluntary and not retrospective.woopesh wrote:I talked to the Union Rep in my Delivery Office today.
Apparently the DOMS have every right to bank hours during a single week, Monday to Sunday. They can't bank hours between weeks. So if you did Overtime on Saturday 6th, they can't write that off against undertime done in the following week, say Monday 8th, but can bank / write it off on the 5 days preceeding, so Monday 1st to Friday 5th.
Apparently this is also a recent rule change following privatisation. They couldn't bank hours like this before.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
Grabbing time back is normal practice at our office. In the rare occasion when we finish early,they say do lapsing or some other work or go now and we will claw back your overtime. The management have suggested that we don't book OT on a Monday as they assume we will finish early on a Tuesday. I try where possible to get done on time as I have no desire to work longer than my contract and to adjust my pace on quieter days. I am happy to work my contracted hours everyday I am after no favours nor do I expect to do favours.
-
Darren
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 14:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Edinburgh
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
This " grabbing back " has recently been mentioned at one of our WTLs. If you are over any day but finish before your time on another then it cancels the extra time worked previously...
Our new union rep who is either not confident or knowledgeable enough yet to stand up to the gaffer on this matter..
Also mentioned was if you are due time back then it must be taken on the Saturday, when a colleague recently tried to get time back on Sat he was told it was not possible and to carry it to the following week?????
Our new union rep who is either not confident or knowledgeable enough yet to stand up to the gaffer on this matter..
Also mentioned was if you are due time back then it must be taken on the Saturday, when a colleague recently tried to get time back on Sat he was told it was not possible and to carry it to the following week?????
My back is f****d......
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
Skimming OT payments to cut hours and hoping people don't notice a little here and there,and then there's the now standard pre planned absence cover ie lapsing which is every Tuesday and Saturday. It's no longer 1 or 2 people are off sick, it's now sold as we have duties we can't cover.
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
Sadly the Rep has it wrong. No Banking of hours.woopesh wrote:I talked to the Union Rep in my Delivery Office today.
Apparently the DOMS have every right to bank hours during a single week, Monday to Sunday. They can't bank hours between weeks. So if you did Overtime on Saturday 6th, they can't write that off against undertime done in the following week, say Monday 8th, but can bank / write it off on the 5 days preceeding, so Monday 1st to Friday 5th.
Apparently this is also a recent rule change following privatisation. They couldn't bank hours like this before.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
What beggars belief is that our office has gone through the 'revision' process and start times are now unified (0700 unless in on O/T) with the end of duty times reflecting the ' model' traffic for each day (or at least I assume this calculation was done by the bean counters). And yet Tuesday in our LDO is always 'lapsed'. The leave depot time (LDT) on Monday is 1413 (less 20 mins meal relief) and yet Tuesday (less mail for sure but more packets) is at 1400. Wed-Fri is 1455 leave depot time. Just strikes me that the bean counters have got their numbers wrong because the difference between actual LDT and scheduled LDT should not vary as wildly as it does. Very seldom have I had to book time in on a Tuesday but Monday can be troublesome (especially factoring in multiple D2D). Saturdays are similar in this respect to Tuesday.The management have suggested that we don't book OT on a Monday as they assume we will finish early on a Tuesday
Until such time as the CWU agree to any 'banking of hours' then I see the issues arising from the OP are the fault of RM and not the people on the front line.
Flexing is all but dead in the water at our LDO as there is very little incentive in it for us. If I decide to go over on any particular day I expect to get paid rather than turn up x minutes later in the following morning!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
So why would anyone work overtime if they finish early earlier in the week?Darren wrote:This " grabbing back " has recently been mentioned at one of our WTLs. If you are over any day but finish before your time on another then it cancels the extra time worked previously...
?
And those that finish early but don't work overtime later in the week, how do they 'pay back' the time?
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
NewPostieUK wrote:So why would anyone work overtime if they finish early earlier in the week?Darren wrote:This " grabbing back " has recently been mentioned at one of our WTLs. If you are over any day but finish before your time on another then it cancels the extra time worked previously...
?
And those that finish early but don't work overtime later in the week, how do they 'pay back' the time?
I really don't think this issue is understood.
There is NO banking hours... Full bloody stop.
If you get back to the office before your leave time... What you do is see a Lino or the DOM and ask is there is anything else you can do.
If said Lino/DOM say 'no' ; then you are free to go.
If they say yes (i.e. throw in D2D,s till you time) then you do so.
This is not difficult
The more people that come back early then the knock on effect continues.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
hampshireman wrote:NewPostieUK wrote:So why would anyone work overtime if they finish early earlier in the week?Darren wrote:This " grabbing back " has recently been mentioned at one of our WTLs. If you are over any day but finish before your time on another then it cancels the extra time worked previously...
?
And those that finish early but don't work overtime later in the week, how do they 'pay back' the time?
I really don't think this issue is understood.
There is NO banking hours... Full bloody stop.
If you get back to the office before your leave time... What you do is see a Lino or the DOM and ask is there is anything else you can do.
If said Lino/DOM say 'no' ; then you are free to go.
If they say yes (i.e. throw in D2D,s till you time) then you do so.
This is not difficult
The more people that come back early then the knock on effect continues.
pretty much spot on apart from the "free to go home part" if you are sent home by the dom then you must be paid, if you are not sent home and you just leave then it's a grey area, always ensure if finished early that the dom sends you home
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Going overtime and then finishing faster than time cancels overtime pay?
Surely there is no incentive to do overtime if this is the case. It certainly isn't like this in the office I work at.