ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Day off falls on Christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72760
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Chelseablue wrote:Reps told me otherwise , you only get a day in lieu if you r day off is Friday this week
Local differences may have been negotiated but at a minimum they have to match the national agreement. That means nationally Friday and Monday are Bank Holidays and if these are your days off you can get a lieu day or overtime in line with various agreements. Saturday is a non service day nationally, so without any local agreement no lieu days or overtime are due. However, if you can get a local agreement where you do so as that would better than the National Agreement there is nothing stopping it happening, unless it falls foul of any other agreement.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SchizoHammer
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 Oct 2015, 03:46
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by SchizoHammer »

I have just read this through and I have to say that I am confused.

This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?

I guess it is my fault for leaving things so late to look up or ask as my managers haven't said a word although I am sure they are/were aware of the upcoming situation, but why does EVERYTHING regarding managers have to be a fight and so devious?

Might as well ask while we are at it... What about New Year's Day?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by k979aaa »

SchizoHammer wrote:I have just read this through and I have to say that I am confused.

This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?

I guess it is my fault for leaving things so late to look up or ask as my managers haven't said a word although I am sure they are/were aware of the upcoming situation, but why does EVERYTHING regarding managers have to be a fight and so devious?

Might as well ask while we are at it... What about New Year's Day?
Don't look as it is a week but more a month you cannot have three bank holidays off in a month you should get your bank holiday back next Monday if you have a rotation the people I really feel sorry for are those who have been allocated this Saturday off even when they never get a Saturday off. But having said that they must push for a Tuesday the 29th off or go sick!
SchizoHammer
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 Oct 2015, 03:46
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by SchizoHammer »

k979aaa wrote:
SchizoHammer wrote:I have just read this through and I have to say that I am confused.

This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?

I guess it is my fault for leaving things so late to look up or ask as my managers haven't said a word although I am sure they are/were aware of the upcoming situation, but why does EVERYTHING regarding managers have to be a fight and so devious?

Might as well ask while we are at it... What about New Year's Day?
Don't look as it is a week but more a month you cannot have three bank holidays off in a month you should get your bank holiday back next Monday if you have a rotation the people I really feel sorry for are those who have been allocated this Saturday off even when they never get a Saturday off. But having said that they must push for a Tuesday the 29th off or go sick!
I DO have the Saturday as my normal day off... That was part of my point. I understand that I will be off Friday until Monday but I was asking about what I SHOULD be getting back for my rest days falling on days that Royal Mail isn't working. I also do not feel it is correct to advise 'go sick'... Not only is this incorrect procedure but as I am within my trial 6 months I DO NOT GET sick leave.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by k979aaa »

SchizoHammer wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
SchizoHammer wrote:I have just read this through and I have to say that I am confused.

This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?

I guess it is my fault for leaving things so late to look up or ask as my managers haven't said a word although I am sure they are/were aware of the upcoming situation, but why does EVERYTHING regarding managers have to be a fight and so devious?

Might as well ask while we are at it... What about New Year's Day?
Don't look as it is a week but more a month you cannot have three bank holidays off in a month you should get your bank holiday back next Monday if you have a rotation the people I really feel sorry for are those who have been allocated this Saturday off even when they never get a Saturday off. But having said that they must push for a Tuesday the 29th off or go sick!
I DO have the Saturday as my normal day off... That was part of my point. I understand that I will be off Friday until Monday but I was asking about what I SHOULD be getting back for my rest days falling on days that Royal Mail isn't working. I also do not feel it is correct to advise 'go sick'... Not only is this incorrect procedure but as I am within my trial 6 months I DO NOT GET sick leave.
So you get every Saturday off well I don't but if you do good on you I only get one every six weeks sometimes it is just unlucky but may favour you next year. If you don't get the days off you want ask your manager as the 26th of December is a non service day it is highly unlikely you would get any recompense I do not make the rules up I can only give you your options.
CJ12
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Oct 2012, 22:06
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by CJ12 »

Bikerman are you part time? If so you are entitled to a day off this week as much as a full time worker is......it is illegal under employment law to discriminate against part time workers, also your dayoff cannot just be changed on a weekly basis, it should be planned with you having at least a couple of weeks notice! Chelseablue is right that a lieu day can't be claimed for this Saturday but you should still get a day of this week if your dayoff was due on Sat 26th. Chelseablue the bank holiday has 2 options, pay at o/t rate or lieu day.
This is how I understand it. If you are unsure I would recommend ringing HR as I have found them really helpful in the past.
SchizoHammer
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 Oct 2015, 03:46
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by SchizoHammer »

@K979aaa

Please reread my original post...
'This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?'

Up until now I have not had anything explained to me from my managers. As such I was unaware that I should be claiming a day off THIS week to make up for Saturday being a non-service day. That is the understanding that I am getting regarding my rest day this coming Saturday.

I further understand that as Monday is a Bank Holiday that it is my choice to claim either a day's pay OR to have an additional day added to my annual leave.

Can anyone confirm if I have understood things correctly now? And if so, what should I do about this 'extra' day off this week that it doesn't look like I am getting now?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by Postie45 »

CJ12 wrote: This Information Can Be Found In Cwu Agreements And Is Even On The Royal Mail Employee Information Website.
!
where exactly is this information, been looking for a while no luck, please link ?
Im pretty sure they dont have to give us anything if our rest day falls on the 26th. Its just down to local agreements.
Last edited by Postie45 on 23 Dec 2015, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by Postie45 »

SchizoHammer wrote:@K979aaa

Can anyone confirm if I have understood things correctly now? And if so, what should I do about this 'extra' day off this week that it doesn't look like I am getting now?
unless those that are claiming its in writing somewhere can present this evidence as far as I know you wont get anything for the 26th, youre just unlucky, and for the 28th you`ll get a day in lieu.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by Chelseablue »

Anyone Got hrs number ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72760
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

If Friday 25th and Monday 28th are your rostered days off, you will get days in Lieu or overtime.

Saturday 26th is a non service day (not a non working day - the principle may seem minor but the point is important) and you can't get a Lieu day or overtime for it.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=72404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3.6 Rest days will apply in line with normal year round arrangements. Attendances may be varied by local agreement to take account of workload forecasts and service requirements. Where workload requires people can volunteer to work their normal rest day in return for a day in lieu or scheduled attendance where a rest day falls on a Bank Holiday (i.e. 25, 28 December or 1 January and 2 January in Scotland) and it is not operationally sensible to transfer the rest day to another day in the same week people will receive an additional day holiday (including those working ‘a week off in six’ or other variations on this theme) in the form of a day in lieu or alternatively the excess hours can be taken as normal overtime.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by k979aaa »

SchizoHammer wrote:@K979aaa

Please reread my original post...
'This should be my 'long weekend' so my rest day is Saturday and the following Monday (26th and 28th). As I understand it from the previous comments I should have been given an alternative 'extra' day off during THIS week for the 'non-service' day on Saturday and Monday (being a Bank Holiday) it is my choice to have an additional day annual leave or paid OT. So I am correct in thinking that if I don't have an alternative day off for Sat then I am LOSING a day off that everyone else would have?'

Up until now I have not had anything explained to me from my managers. As such I was unaware that I should be claiming a day off THIS week to make up for Saturday being a non-service day. That is the understanding that I am getting regarding my rest day this coming Saturday.

I further understand that as Monday is a Bank Holiday that it is my choice to claim either a day's pay OR to have an additional day added to my annual leave.

Can anyone confirm if I have understood things correctly now? And if so, what should I do about this 'extra' day off this week that it doesn't look like I am getting now?
While I have every sympathy with you will not get three bank holidays off in December if this is your duty next year may work out better for you but 1/6th or more of the workforce are in the same boat as you, If you do not have a duty and you have had your day changed to Saturday this week you should be asking bigger questions of your management team and I for one would not give them any quarter in the future if I were you.
CJ12
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Oct 2012, 22:06
Gender: Male

Re: Day off falls on Christmas

Post by CJ12 »

Scizohammer, I apologise.....unfortunately I have now been told that a day off will not be given back if your day off falls on the 26th despite being told that this was the case, but having spoken to my area rep yesterday I'm now told otherwise, so off to work I go today! No point being too p****d off about it, it's a bonus to some people and good luck to them!

Postie45, with regards to the bank holiday lieu day or payment options......Google......myroyalmail.com......Me at work......employment policies......click here to log on and view the policy summaries.....time off for holiday summary.......bank holiday entitlement.

HR number should be on your wage slip, as I said before I have found them good in the past, pretty sure if you want just about any info you can ask to speak to PSP team. I had a problem with a manager over a leave issue a few years back and they actually emailed her several times and resolved it for me.

Happy Christmas!