ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by franco1 »

War is sometimes criminal, but it is the ones who orchestrate it not the innocent ones who fight in it that are the real murderers.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

pauljacks wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
:mad
My grandad was in WW2. I have his medals and if anyone, no matter who it is, tries to sell me a white poppy I'll tell them where to shove it !

The thing is wearing the white poppy is showing respect and remembrance to those who made the ultimate sacrifice but with more emphasis on the hope that there are no more wars. Its also seen as not being specific to British casualties of conflict, but all casualties including British. In Northern Ireland, some republicans wear it as a mark of remembrance because of the association of the Red Poppy to the British (and in their mind occupying) forces, but they are still showing respect and remembrance to the fallen.

I know of no reason why a white poppy would show disrespect, which is why I was so shocked with her comments.

The Poppy appeal believes, according to its own words, "is a matter of choice, the Legion doesn't have a problem whether you wear a red one or a white one, both or none at all"
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by Postie45 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:No Muslims in m office to claim islamaphobia so we all good
I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.

[
did she give any particular reason why she thought you were a murderer/war criminal ? or was it some un-thought out pacifistic outburst ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postie45 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:No Muslims in m office to claim islamaphobia so we all good
I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
did she give any particular reason why she thought you were a murderer/war criminal ? or was it some un-thought out pacifistic outburst ?

I couldn't ask her as I was standing at attention, and she seemed disinclined to engage me in any discourse. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by DB1100 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:No Muslims in m office to claim islamaphobia so we all good
I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
did she give any particular reason why she thought you were a murderer/war criminal ? or was it some un-thought out pacifistic outburst ?

I couldn't ask her as I was standing at attention, and she seemed disinclined to engage me in any discourse. :Very Happy
Did you ever do Greenham common with the hippy "ladies" that was fun.
For we were soldiers once,and young
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DB1100 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:No Muslims in m office to claim islamaphobia so we all good
I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
did she give any particular reason why she thought you were a murderer/war criminal ? or was it some un-thought out pacifistic outburst ?

I couldn't ask her as I was standing at attention, and she seemed disinclined to engage me in any discourse. :Very Happy
Did you ever do Greenham common with the hippy "ladies" that was fun.
and a little malodorous
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
pauljacks
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by pauljacks »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: The thing is wearing the white poppy is showing respect and remembrance to those who made the ultimate sacrifice but with more emphasis on the hope that there are no more wars.
I think the red poppy covers that as well. The Great War (WW1)was supposed the war that would to end all wars. Every soldier that fights a war hoped /hopes their will be no more wars .

There's a thought by some people , that a red poppy glorifies war but I don't think it does.

Its also seen as not being specific to British casualties of conflict, but all casualties including British. In Northern Ireland, some republicans wear it as a mark of remembrance because of the association of the Red Poppy to the British (and in their mind occupying) forces, but they are still showing respect and remembrance to the fallen.
Interestingly, wearing a red poppy was originally an American idea .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15637074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the British legion are happy with both colours that's fair enough.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by baldrick »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I know of no reason why a white poppy would show disrespect.

The Poppy appeal believes, according to its own words, "is a matter of choice, the Legion doesn't have a problem whether you wear a red one or a white one, both or none at all"
I have always worn a red poppy. I might wear a white poppy too if I saw them on sale, but haven't yet. I always went to the Remembrance Service at Mount Pleasant when I was working, and to the Remembrance Mass at my local church, the last two years. I have always wanted to go to the Remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph, and finally did last Sunday. I don't do it to glorify war, but to remember those who fought fascism and Nazism, including three of my uncles who were volunteers not conscripts. I think most wars were unnecessary and could have been avoided, but sometimes it is justified.

After the official ceremony on Sunday, a separate commemoration was staged at 2pm by Veterans against War, wearing white poppies and blue sweatshirts. On the front was the Veterans against War logo, on the back was a quote from Harry Patch, the last surviving veteran of World War 1, who was at last year's Cenotaph ceremony, but died earlier this year. It was 'War is organised murder'.
There were about 40 ex-Forces veterans and another 40-50 partners and supporters. They held their own remembrance ceremony, with a poem about war, and played the last post. It was moving too.

Edit: I found this online: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/remembrance-d ... html#P9ZxE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by baldrick on 16 Nov 2015, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by Tman »

An ex-Para in our local claims he wouldn't gob on someone wearing a white poppy if they were on fire. As he likes to say, they're for those who like to be seen as "paying respects" when in actual fact they think its all rather distasteful. Wear a red one or don't wear a red one, no liberal half-measures.
As he also rather succinctly puts it, if it wasn't for the working class Joes going over the top, jumping out of planes, storming ashore etc etc in the past, the daft f*ckers wouldn't be allowed to wear any poppy, let alone a nice little inoffensive "I don't want to offend anybody" white one...
pauljacks
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by pauljacks »

I've been checking out the white poppy people and none of the money goes to ex soldiers or their families. I wonder if the people who buy them know that.

From the Peace Pledge Union website

"Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work,"

It doesn't seem to me to be just about peace, more of a political organisation.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by twoloops »

Ulysses wrote:..until it got torn off by a bag over my shoulder

Picked up 5 iron on Poppy's from a poppy stall in our local shopping centre today going on my coat & polos :thumbup
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by NWpostie »

pauljacks wrote:I've been checking out the white poppy people and none of the money goes to ex soldiers or their families. I wonder if the people who buy them know that.

From the Peace Pledge Union website

"Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work,"

It doesn't seem to me to be just about peace, more of a political organisation.
I think the public should know this.
So they can make an informed choice.
I will be wearing mine and I will be parading with my medals knowing I have served and did my bit.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by bmccoll »

Wear it with pride.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

So far I'm the only one in my DO that's wearing a Poppy, believe it or not. :shock: TBH I think that's pretty discusting, but as I know I work with a Bunch of w*****s it comes as no surprise. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Post by twoloops »

Dom removed a large poppy off the front a van this morning, said they are not allowed? :thumbdown