ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How do others who need reading glasses cope?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
However, if its only the smallest fonts you have trouble with and you prep your own then write the number in large somewhere on the envelope.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
What's the difference between bifocals and varifocals? I've got my prescription so I could order them online.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Snapantcpfc wrote:I wear varifocal glasses. A bit more expensive but they do the job
I find I really struggle with the number 26 and 28, particularly if the font is small!
-
antcpfc
- Posts: 629
- Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
All my own work.The Bifocal is a lens split into two parts. The top part is normally for distance and the bottom part (or segment) is for reading. The lens can be modified depending on what they will be used for ie. Intermediate (computer) vision at the top and reading at the bottom is a common combination. A major benefit of a Bifocal is that it’s the easiest way to give a pair of spectacles two focusing points. They offer a very wide field of clear vision for both parts. The down side however, is that there is a sudden “jump” between the two parts and means there is a visible line in the lens. At first this can lead to a gap in the overall vision, so will take some time to adjust to.
Now to the Varifocal lens (also known as Multifocal or Progressive). This lens is more advanced and offers a very different way of viewing things than a Bifocal. The basic premise of a Varifocal is that it’s like a blended Bifocal, with an invisible line to provide seamless vision from distance through to reading, allowing the wearer to view objects at any distance. A drawback however is the width of vision available. Varifocals offer a clearer band of vision down the middle of the lens, but this means more distortion along the edge of the lens. This can result in more head movement when looking and focusing on objects, which could lead to a feeling described as “image swimming”. The key is to be patient and persevere and eventually these feelings will pass as the brain acclimatizes.
Overall, each style of lens offers you different ways of solving your visual needs. Together with an optician, you can look at the pros and cons of each option and choose the one that is right for you and your lifestyle.
Slider tool. Lol.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
Thank you. I'm going to order a pair today.antcpfc wrote:All my own work.The Bifocal is a lens split into two parts. The top part is normally for distance and the bottom part (or segment) is for reading. The lens can be modified depending on what they will be used for ie. Intermediate (computer) vision at the top and reading at the bottom is a common combination. A major benefit of a Bifocal is that it’s the easiest way to give a pair of spectacles two focusing points. They offer a very wide field of clear vision for both parts. The down side however, is that there is a sudden “jump” between the two parts and means there is a visible line in the lens. At first this can lead to a gap in the overall vision, so will take some time to adjust to.
Now to the Varifocal lens (also known as Multifocal or Progressive). This lens is more advanced and offers a very different way of viewing things than a Bifocal. The basic premise of a Varifocal is that it’s like a blended Bifocal, with an invisible line to provide seamless vision from distance through to reading, allowing the wearer to view objects at any distance. A drawback however is the width of vision available. Varifocals offer a clearer band of vision down the middle of the lens, but this means more distortion along the edge of the lens. This can result in more head movement when looking and focusing on objects, which could lead to a feeling described as “image swimming”. The key is to be patient and persevere and eventually these feelings will pass as the brain acclimatizes.
Overall, each style of lens offers you different ways of solving your visual needs. Together with an optician, you can look at the pros and cons of each option and choose the one that is right for you and your lifestyle.
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
I've got contact lenses. One eye for distance & one for reading. Sounds odd but the brain gets it sussed. Still struggle in dark blocks of flats though!ted_e_bear wrote:As per previous answer bifocals/varifocals would prob do the trick, depending on how strong your prescription is you could also talk to your optician about using a contact lens in just 1 eye.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
wish I could wear contacts but because of a condition they only give me 80% vision. 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
If you are lucky enough to be on the same round most of the time you will learn the blurred names without your glasses (if long sighted) and holding mail a bit away from you, easier to work out through the fog than numbers. And if your eyes are both deteriorating the same then Poundland glasses are exceptional value and easily replaced 
-
masterblaster
- Posts: 285
- Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
I've been wondering whether I can claim an amount on my income tax for glasses, after all it something you need to do your job which you are not being reimbursed for by the company, which I believe is the criteria? Does anyone else claim?
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
Everything you need to know is here-masterblaster wrote:I've been wondering whether I can claim an amount on my income tax for glasses, after all it something you need to do your job which you are not being reimbursed for by the company, which I believe is the criteria? Does anyone else claim?
http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/Arti ... -spectacle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a word no. They have 'duality of purpose' (ie you can use them to read a book at home) and so are not considered exclusively for use at work so not tax deductible.
-
buzzboy
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
- Gender: Male
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
I thought we were allowed free eye care no? anyway I need glasses !
-
BexyB9
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 24 Jun 2013, 13:12
- Gender: Female
Re: How do others who need reading glasses cope?
------------------------deristrong wrote:I've got contact lenses. One eye for distance & one for reading. Sounds odd but the brain gets it sussed. Still struggle in dark blocks of flats though!ted_e_bear wrote:As per previous answer bifocals/varifocals would prob do the trick, depending on how strong your prescription is you could also talk to your optician about using a contact lens in just 1 eye.
Me too. They do the job perfectly for me.