ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are there many jobs more tiring?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I looked back on my first year in 2014 and thought the easier days in the summer were enough to cancel out the long hard grind in winter.

Unfortunately the lapsing that has been heaped on us this year is making everyday a slog and I've started updating my CV, don't expect to be doing this job next year.
paulthepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 123
Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by paulthepostie »

Same at our office, absorption is permanent now and what with the hcts is only increasing the problems for people. I myself am struggling with a persistent problem and may have to consider leaving soon after nearly 14 years of service.
We've hardly got any staff as it is!.
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by cyrus »

Previous job- I had take delivery stock up 2 flights of stairs to the storeroom.this could take up to 5-8 hours.It was boring and hard...but I was alowed a breather when ever I felt tired.Then after work it was gym/running etc.

Kept the training up in Royal Mail.....Then delivery methods came in, and now I have hardly any energy, to do anything after work.

My union rep says Royal Mail realize folk are suffering, There's rumors of going back to two delivery's.Half a walk in the morning back to the office for a break.Then half a walk in the afternoon.Don't know if their going to trial it in one of the test offices.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

paulthepostie wrote:Same at our office, absorption is permanent now and what with the hcts is only increasing the problems for people. I myself am struggling with a persistent problem and may have to consider leaving soon after nearly 14 years of service.
We've hardly got any staff as it is!.
How many of the staff in your office come in early before their proper start time, run round their walks, don't take their proper breaks, etc? If there's a good few, they're the reason why absorption is permanent as they're giving the DOM the scope to be able to make it permanent.

How many aren't using the HCTs when their walk is supposed to? Anyone that doesn't who gets injured on their walk, one of the early questions asked of them by the DOM is "Were you using your HCT?" if they wern't the DOM will throw them to the wolves, it would very likely go down as a blameworthy
paulthepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 123
Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by paulthepostie »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
paulthepostie wrote:Same at our office, absorption is permanent now and what with the hcts is only increasing the problems for people. I myself am struggling with a persistent problem and may have to consider leaving soon after nearly 14 years of service.
We've hardly got any staff as it is!.
How many of the staff in your office come in early before their proper start time, run round their walks, don't take their proper breaks, etc? If there's a good few, they're the reason why absorption is permanent as they're giving the DOM the scope to be able to make it permanent.

How many aren't using the HCTs when their walk is supposed to? Anyone that doesn't who gets injured on their walk, one of the early questions asked of them by the DOM is "Were you using your HCT?" if they wern't the DOM will throw them to the wolves, it would very likely go down as a blameworthy
We do have plenty of morons that come in early and ruining it for everyone else, but i come in on time as i love my time in bed. I have no idea who uses their hct properly (instead of using bags on shoulders), but the injuries and ailments in the last two to three years have gone through the roof!.

I wouldnt' be able to run even if i wanted to. I do hobble around though. :chuckle

I totally agree in everything you say but i can't see these people realising the error of their ways, and unfortunately i can't see it changing. Which is a shame because strength in numbers is what's needed!, and things can't carry on in there present form.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

osgoody1970 wrote:cyborg can go to the gym,after a delivery???ffs who else can do that?? must be an easy duty!!!
Its a state of mind till you reach 40+. In my 20s I would do a CFT (8 mile forced march with 50kg bergeb) and then go an play 5-a-side football.

Back then it was mind over matter - i Don't mind and its doesn't matter. Now at 50 its the body does mind and it does matter.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by DB1100 »

osgoody1970 wrote:cyborg can go to the gym,after a delivery???ffs who else can do that?? must be an easy duty!!!
Me,5 or 6 times a week.
For we were soldiers once,and young
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by wannabeek »

Yeah, I'm also guilty of going for a jog or similar workout after a full delivery, even with OT. I am the right side of 40 tho as Teebs says, I reckon I don't have much longer of those shenanigans. I expect that when I stop doing more, it'll be RM that gets less of my efforts because going for a run in the countryside is much more fun than ambling round an estate with someone's old toot to get rid of.
trevjim
Posts: 170
Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by trevjim »

DB1100 wrote:
osgoody1970 wrote:cyborg can go to the gym,after a delivery???ffs who else can do that?? must be an easy duty!!!
Me,5 or 6 times a week.
To be fair, our upper body does not get a workout at work, So I lift weights after a shift, and sometimes 5 a side, however I dont like doing cardio too much after work as that can take its toll
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by krussel »

Teebs is spot on with the 40+ comment.

I am edging toward 50 now and getting aching knees and cramps in the afternoons. Depends a lot on the workload when pushing a HCT as a lighter day deffo feels better.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
stewart
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 16:36
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by stewart »

Was in the army for 12 years much tougher than being postie. With royal mail for 20 years find the walking easy but a bit tiring, although manage 80-100 miles a week of running as well . Horses for courses I suppose
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by Gold Fox »

Never had this problem when on bikes .
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by Budfrog »

osgoody1970 wrote:I don't think many builders work flat out like us, we have to go at a pretty sharp pace to finish the walks, with no respite,i done it till I was 55, then had to get out of the job, as I had no life after work, just too tired to do anything, it is not a job for the older person anymore, and both royal mail and the CWU SHOULD LOOK AT THE HEALTH ASPECT!!! of the job and the toll it takes on its workforce!!!
This is a problem with many manual jobs, you have to be reasonably young and fit to do them. But then the Government has now started increasing the age at which people will all receive their state pension due to cost combined with the fact that statistically we are all living longer (though there are regional variations and the stats do not take into account quality of life). If you are unfortunate enough to have to leave a job (either on IHR, EVR or by simply resigning) under these circumstances the likelihood is that you will either have to try and find another less physically demanding position (and face age discrimination when applying) or scrape through to your 66th birthday on your occupational pension. As one of the wealthiest countries in the world we are quite poor when it comes to the way we treat our older citizens and at a time where there is a high rate of unemployment amongst the young giving people the option to receive a state pension at say 62 would potentially free up some jobs. https://goo.gl/hmGGXE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.facebook.com/groups/letpeopleretireat60/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by RedBagMan »

Deffo agree with the age discrimination point .. up to a point ! I was made redundant from my IT job (after 25 years) so ended up on the dole at 53. Could I get back into IT ? Could I f***. The only people who offered me a job (just before the six month period of dole ended) was ... Royal Mail !
Five and a bit years on, I'm hanging in there (fortunately I've always done walking as a hobby - reckon it helped a lot) - plus when I go for my medical MOT I'm told my lung capacity is so much better than it was when I was sat behind a desk (still a 20 a day man as well ... plus beer !!!!) - but yes I nod off in front of the TV from about 2130-2300 - thence to bed - and when you get to 58, the aches and pains do take that little bit longer to heal ...
Something else us old gits have (which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view :wink: ) is something called a "Work Ethic" - but that's another topic ?!?
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
paulthepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 123
Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?

Post by paulthepostie »

RedBagMan wrote:Deffo agree with the age discrimination point .. up to a point ! I was made redundant from my IT job (after 25 years) so ended up on the dole at 53. Could I get back into IT ? Could I f***. The only people who offered me a job (just before the six month period of dole ended) was ... Royal Mail !
Five and a bit years on, I'm hanging in there (fortunately I've always done walking as a hobby - reckon it helped a lot) - plus when I go for my medical MOT I'm told my lung capacity is so much better than it was when I was sat behind a desk (still a 20 a day man as well ... plus beer !!!!) - but yes I nod off in front of the TV from about 2130-2300 - thence to bed - and when you get to 58, the aches and pains do take that little bit longer to heal ...
Something else us old gits have (which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view :wink: ) is something called a "Work Ethic" - but that's another topic ?!?
Sorry to go off topic mate but what was you doing in i.t? if you don't mind me asking?. Cheers