ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by motherhubbard »

I know you boys love your technology but there are clearly limitations and problems with the output of your gps, because it is obviously bullshit in some cases.
Wasn't it JCL who said it showed he could walk a mile in 8 minutes or another whose pedometer showed him having walked a mile while he was on the IPS.
The following is from a "how to understand your gps" website:

Stop recording your route when you are stationary. When you are stationary, the location fix is less accurate, and the device will start recording a 3 dimensional spider's walk around your location. Stop 20 minutes for a cup of tea, and it will record 2km of distance, and a few hundred feet of ascent.

Is this maybe what is happening? Given that you stop at every door you deliver to. And then for packets etc.
So sorry to pee on your manly parade.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
dre33dd
Posts: 96
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 19:05
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by dre33dd »

I use noom walk on my phone...record was 27000 steps in my day...average around 22000.. More than enough
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by DB1100 »

motherhubbard wrote:I know you boys love your technology but there are clearly limitations and problems with the output of your gps, because it is obviously bullshit in some cases.
Wasn't it JCL who said it showed he could walk a mile in 8 minutes or another whose pedometer showed him having walked a mile while he was on the IPS.
The following is from a "how to understand your gps" website:

Stop recording your route when you are stationary. When you are stationary, the location fix is less accurate, and the device will start recording a 3 dimensional spider's walk around your location. Stop 20 minutes for a cup of tea, and it will record 2km of distance, and a few hundred feet of ascent.

Is this maybe what is happening? Given that you stop at every door you deliver to. And then for packets etc.
So sorry to pee on your manly parade.
Garmin's mostly have a feature called autopause which stops the GPS whilst you are stationary or you can preset the speed at which you want it to stop recording,this feature is useful for runners or cyclists that have to stop and start a lot,one of the biggest failings of a GPS in a built up area is it's ability to locate satellites,phone apps are generally poor when compared to a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin or Magellan,the old fashioned way of using a bit of paper and pen and measuring your route against a modern mapping system such as google maps would probably give you the best and most accurate result if you really want to sit there with a bit of paper pressed against you computer screen for hours.
For we were soldiers once,and young
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by sequinn »

I use a Fitbit One attached to my bra. A light day would be about 6.5 miles and just under 10 miles on a heavy day. Any other exercise, shopping, walking about at home etc. is extra.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by wannabeek »

Wrist-worn tracker, I checked it during IPS and it didn't add to the step count.

For all you tech-doubters, I think this looks like a realistic step-count for a day to me:
steps.jpg
As you can see, there was an early peak on the walk to work, then hardly any during IPS and prep. Suddenly loads when I went out just after 8am with a 9 o'clocker, then from 9:35 onwards it's sky high (except for the break at lunchtime).

The final peak after 3pm is walking the kids from school.

2952 calories burned by the time I get home? And my wife wonders why I eat 2 dinners! :crazy:

By the way, I'm sure it doesn't need to be pointed out that I am now a total fitbit geek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by motherhubbard »

So riddle me this fitbit geek:

27 000 steps approx.
If each step was about 50 cm (and I think that is generous) measured from the front toe to the back heel, that would make 13 500 metres
Or about 8.5 miles in real money.
How do you get 12.5 miles?

I actually think about 30 cms is more realistic, but you might be a big man ......
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by DB1100 »

motherhubbard wrote:So riddle me this fitbit geek:

27 000 steps approx.
If each step was about 50 cm (and I think that is generous) measured from the front toe to the back heel, that would make 13 500 metres
Or about 8.5 miles in real money.
How do you get 12.5 miles?

I actually think about 30 cms is more realistic, but you might be a big man ......
My normal walking pace length is 30 inches,I bet yours is as well TBT,ok so it's going to be a bit shorter going in and around gates as such,but no way is it ever going to average out at 30 cms,I had a fitbit one for a bit and I was getting an average of 33,000 steps,that includes walking my dogs,walking to work etc but the silicon case split and I never got round to getting a new one
For we were soldiers once,and young
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by motherhubbard »

I have taken to weighing myself pre and post delivery.
I lose approx. 1 kg out on delivery and that is probably down to dehydration.
I don't appear to lose any weight on delivery (and looking at the overweight posties in my DO neither do they.)

I wouldn't be eating two dinners on the spurious output of a fitbit. You'll probably get fat when you get older.
And how would our Muslim colleagues cope during Ramadan?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by wannabeek »

Oh dear, I forgot that I was putting info in front of people who like to rip things to shreds just to prove their own point.

I'm afraid even I am not anal enough to measure stride length, but is 50 cm big to you? You say front toe to back heel? My feet overlap if I try to do that within 50 cm! Maybe I'm a giant to you guys, but not in this part of Britain. Each of my feet is almost 30cm - am I suffering from giganticism?

My observation was based on the number of supposed 'false' paces during IPS which I found to be nonexistent and on the total calories burned, which are calculated (very accurately I understand) using the heart rate monitor.

I would be very surprised if this calorie count isn't in the right region because I have kept food diaries before and I rarely have a day when I take in fewer than 3500 calories, yet I do not put on weight (I'm not some young flibbertygibbet either).
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by DB1100 »

wannabeek wrote:Oh dear, I forgot that I was putting info in front of people who like to rip things to shreds just to prove their own point.

I'm afraid even I am not anal enough to measure stride length, but is 50 cm big to you? You say front toe to back heel? My feet overlap if I try to do that within 50 cm! Maybe I'm a giant to you guys, but not in this part of Britain. Each of my feet is almost 30cm - am I suffering from giganticism?

My observation was based on the number of supposed 'false' paces during IPS which I found to be nonexistent and on the total calories burned, which are calculated (very accurately I understand) using the heart rate monitor.

I would be very surprised if this calorie count isn't in the right region because I have kept food diaries before and I rarely have a day when I take in fewer than 3500 calories, yet I do not put on weight (I'm not some young flibbertygibbet either).
I'm not anal enough to measure stride length,I just know mine is 30 inches why? because it was drilled into my brain every day for the first 6 months of my Army life and it just sticks with you.
For we were soldiers once,and young
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by korky »

DirtyHarry wrote:12/13 miles walking every day is excessive, way too excessive. More importantly, that amount of walking on a daily basis is not, nor will it ever be, conducive to good health.
once clocked mine at 12.5 pausing it when driving to each loop and that was a couple of years ago, extra 30 mins been added since
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by wannabeek »

Ok so 30 inches is a normal human then? That's 76.2cm according to Google. 76.2cm X 27,000 steps is 2,057,400 cm or 20.574km. That's 12.78 miles.

I did think about the little steps going through a gate - I did 8 little steps to get out of one and the pedometer registered that I'd done 2.

I believe it's pretty accurate.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by motherhubbard »

wannabeek wrote:Oh dear, I forgot that I was putting info in front of people who like to rip things to shreds just to prove their own point.

I'm afraid even I am not anal enough to measure stride length,
Anal enough to keep a food diary but not anal enough to measure your stride length?

I am sorry you don't have an enquiring mind.
It is a sad day when we stop questioning everything that is put in front of us. I treat the output of your gadgets with the same level of scepticism I would reserve for wonder diets, ripped abs in 4 weeks ads and the simple trick to rid yourself of wrinkles.
You walked through a gate and your machine had registered you had walked 2 x 75 cm? You think that is pretty accurate?
I am sorry to have dared to venture an opinion outside of the accepted norm.
We are men. We've got gadgets. Go away you silly little woman.
Yet:
Stride length or step length? Because they aren't the same thing.
And is it appropriate to use the step length of a soldier marching (which I assume is what DB is talking about) and use it for a postperson on delivery?
I don't march on delivery. I don't even walk as fast as I do normally. I take much smaller steps especially each time I have to set the trolley in motion - which is every few metres.
I take smaller steps when going up hills, when going up and down steps, when negotiating hazards in front gardens and even as I approach every door.

But I promise to never again venture an opinion on the outputs of your gadgets.
Your pedometers and your fitbits and your gps are all 100% accurate and probably most of you are walking 12 - 15 miles on your delivery every day.

I wonder which one of you will take your device to a running track and go and walk 12/13 miles (approx. 50 laps) and see how long it takes and what your readings are.
Maybe I will treat myself to a fitbit for my birthday next week and see for myself.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Calling any Fitbit Geeks ...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DB1100 wrote:My normal walking pace length is 30 inches,I bet yours is as well TBT,
Exactly - wonder why :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.