Without talking about one specific religion over another, in theory what IF there was a religion which had to pray all day, would the business have to accommodate that ? if not why the discrimination ?bustedflush wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:bustedflush wrote:Time out for prayers?? That's it, I'm converting to the prophet... :Very Happy
Well that's nice for them. In December therefore, with barely 8 hours between sunrise and dusk, they'll be doing more praying than working. Right during Christmas pressure. I say that tongue-in-cheek, obviously the prayers would be combined.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail Bullying Boss
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Of course you jokinglybustedflush wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:As far as I know islam is the only faith that stipulates what times of the day you should pray, however, any religious observance that has a strict timetable should allow believers to also take breaks at the times they should pray. In fact digging a little deeper, one of the reason why muslims are allowed to pray at work is because of a ruling in Williams-Drabble v Pathway Care Solutions (ET Case no. 2601718/04) in a which a Christian woman claimed discrimination because her work required her start working on Sunday's when before there was no such requirement.bustedflush wrote:Time out for prayers?? That's it, I'm converting to the prophet...
Obligatory prayer is prescribed at five periods of the day. These are measured according to the movement of the sun; (i) dawn (fajr) (ii) noon (zuhr) (iii) mid afternoon (Asr) (iv) j sunset(magrib) (v) nightfall (Isha). Under certain circumstances prayers can be combined, for instance sometimes the nature of daily activities preclude prayers zuhr and Asr[10] can be combined , as can magrib and Isha. Therefore each prayer is prescribed a specific time( timetables are available online for each region)- - See more at: http://www.no5.com/news-and-publication ... bxZoy.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However as far as I know those prayers should where possible be taken during agreed work breaks, if the business fail to allow Muslims to pray during their breaks then they may be liable under Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003. Muslims are not getting extra breaks, or they shouldn't be, its just they may take their breaks at different times to others, as long as its agreed.
Well that's nice for them. In December therefore, with barely 8 hours between sunrise and dusk, they'll be doing more praying than working. Right during Christmas pressure. I say that tongue-in-cheek, obviously the prayers would be combined.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Mr_Pink
- Posts: 163
- Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Don't some monks & nuns spend most of their time praying, although I think that constitutes their 'job'Postie45 wrote:
Without talking about one specific religion over another, in theory what IF there was a religion which had to pray all day, would the business have to accommodate that ? if not why the discrimination ?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
No because there is no way to come to a reasonable accommodation between the employer and employee as required by the act.Postie45 wrote:
Without talking about one specific religion over another, in theory what IF there was a religion which had to pray all day, would the business have to accommodate that ? if not why the discrimination ?
3. (1) For the purposes of these Regulations, a person (“A”) discriminates against another person (“B”) if—
(a)on grounds of religion or belief, A treats B less favourably than he treats or would treat other persons; or
So on the grounds that they would be treated more favourably (1st quote) and that it isn't proportionate to use the whole working day praying (quote 2).it is proportionate to apply that requirement in the particular case;
Hope that answer your hypothetical question.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Cyclopz
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
The truth about prayer times at HWDC is this:
Prayer times are taken at 1 O'clock in the afternoon on early shift.
Management say that any time taken off the floor for first washing and then praying which amounts to about thirty minutes should be paid back to the business.
The time is never paid back and the management never enforce it.
It creates a bad atmosphere amongst the rest of the workforce.
I know this because I see it everyday.
There is more to this story than meets the eye.
This issue of prayer time and the lack of any enforcement of time paid back needs very much to be addressed in the issue of fairness to other employees.
It is becoming a burning issue.
Prayer times are taken at 1 O'clock in the afternoon on early shift.
Management say that any time taken off the floor for first washing and then praying which amounts to about thirty minutes should be paid back to the business.
The time is never paid back and the management never enforce it.
It creates a bad atmosphere amongst the rest of the workforce.
I know this because I see it everyday.
There is more to this story than meets the eye.
This issue of prayer time and the lack of any enforcement of time paid back needs very much to be addressed in the issue of fairness to other employees.
It is becoming a burning issue.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
-
rusty nails
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Cyclopz wrote:The truth about prayer times at HWDC is this:
Prayer times are taken at 1 O'clock in the afternoon on early shift.
Management say that any time taken off the floor for first washing and then praying which amounts to about thirty minutes should be paid back to the business.
The time is never paid back and the management never enforce it.
It creates a bad atmosphere amongst the rest of the workforce.
I know this because I see it everyday.
There is more to this story than meets the eye.
This issue of prayer time and the lack of any enforcement of time paid back needs very much to be addressed in the issue of fairness to other employees.
It is becoming a burning issue.
This may be off topic slightly, but what about smokers? In our office they spend more time outside smoking than they do working so why don't I get a few extra little breaks?
Might need to take up smoking.
-
Cyclopz
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Aye to be fair smokers go out for about a five minute break every two hours.rusty nails wrote:This may be off topic slightly, but what about smokers? In our office they spend more time outside smoking than they do working so why don't I get a few extra little breaks?
Might need to take up smoking.
This amounts to about ten minutes lost time in a day.
Management state that any smoke breaks need to be paid back in time but that is never enforced either.
The logic goes like this.
A guy gets asked to pay back the time for smoking and replies "what about prayer breaks, I hope you are going to enforce their time"
Case dropped.
Another guy goes to pray and is asked to pay back the time and replies "well what about the smokers, I hope you are going to ask them to pay back the time"
Case dropped.
Now if you don't smoke or pray you really are stitched up.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
And surely that's how it should be, a truly multicultural office at Heathrow WORLDWIDE Distribution Centre.bustedflush wrote:I must admit I didn't see an English name there in the article. A truly multiculti office it would seem, and possibly some friction between the various factions there.villan wrote:Are the names in that article made up? Andrew Gumbiti-Zimuto. Bing Wang.Senior Service wrote:From the Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ro ... ng-4973614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its about time more of the management are made to answer.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
I neither smoke nor prayCyclopz wrote:Aye to be fair smokers go out for about a five minute break every two hours.rusty nails wrote:This may be off topic slightly, but what about smokers? In our office they spend more time outside smoking than they do working so why don't I get a few extra little breaks?
Might need to take up smoking.
This amounts to about ten minutes lost time in a day.
Management state that any smoke breaks need to be paid back in time but that is never enforced either.
The logic goes like this.
A guy gets asked to pay back the time for smoking and replies "what about prayer breaks, I hope you are going to enforce their time"
Case dropped.
Another guy goes to pray and is asked to pay back the time and replies "well what about the smokers, I hope you are going to ask them to pay back the time"
Case dropped.
Now if you don't smoke or pray you really are stitched up.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
30 Minutes for a Prayer at 1300....Doesn't seem a problem....That about when most people have a Meal Break......and when you've finished, just enough time for a cup of Tea! Know a few people that use their Meal break for a quick nip to the shops. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Cyclopz
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Meal break is 10:00 til 10:40 AM.Dorset Plodder wrote:30 Minutes for a Prayer at 1300....Doesn't seem a problem....That about when most people have a Meal Break......and when you've finished, just enough time for a cup of Tea! Know a few people that use their Meal break for a quick nip to the shops.
Every one takes it.
Effectively what happens is all people that pray leave the floor at 12:50 PM and do not return until the next day.
The non praying people are expected to stay at their work stations until 13:20 PM and then wash and go home.
Last edited by Cyclopz on 14 Jan 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Right, that's settled it. I'm becoming a chain-smoking muslim nun. If there is such a thing. If not I'll start it.....

-
Cyclopz
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
Start a new religion, that's what I'm thinking.bustedflush wrote:Right, that's settled it. I'm becoming a chain-smoking muslim nun. If there is such a thing. If not I'll start it.....![]()
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
I can see that this sort of thing would cause a lot of animosity but it could be easily managed....perhaps with the glare of publicity some of the "Big Boys" will now have to get involved and sort it. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Cyclopz
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss
You don't know the half of it mate, you really don't and I am not commenting any further.Dorset Plodder wrote:I can see that this sort of thing would cause a lot of animosity but it could be easily managed....perhaps with the glare of publicity some of the "Big Boys" will now have to get involved and sort it.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.