I like your style twincamms & agree with all you say.
Just out of interest,how long have you been in the job?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
lapsing
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: lapsing
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
jbbicker
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: lapsing
You're fighting a losing battle when it comes to people coming in early and rushing around. This gives the managers an incentive to allocate more flex and less incentive to give out more full-time contracts. The managers love it, because people are working for free. It keeps their budgets down and increases your workload. You can't hold it against them really. FT contracts will be a thing of the past eventually. Me and my partner start on our time. I'm quite happy to work over and book the overtime. He isn't. That's his prerogative. He has a start time and a finish time. It's not worth stressing over whether you have time to complete or not. If you do the job properly you have nothing to worry about.
-
mazungu
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 21:54
- Gender: Male
Re: lapsing
Very well done to you mate I wish you worked in my office could do with your knowledgetwincamms wrote:Oh and for the record, I'm not a CWU member, I'll explain why below.
About 8 years ago, my shift finished early, it was 2200 - 0600, so my then colleague, a thirty year man said let's go. It was 0520. The following day I was hauled into the office for a disciplinary, abandonment of duty, however, thirty year man wasn't.
I was invited for a formal fact find and 48 hours later I was in the office with my CWU Rep. He didn't say a word, just watched in awe. When we came out he said, 'bloody hell, you tore them apart, they had no where to go'. I said 'thank you very much.' I then went to the CWU room and cancelled my membership. Why pay to be represented by someone who can't articulate themselves or doesn't know his arse from his elbow?
Now you might ask, what about the other benefits? The legal stuff, etc.
Here's another example. I injured my back moving an overloaded York, 289kg. On the same night a colleague fell down some stairs in the yard that hadn't been gritted and injured his back. He used the CWU solicitors, Millar Simpson, I used my own independent. I got my compensation in 8 months, he got his after 3 years. Should there have been any complications, I, as most have legal protection on my household insurance which my solicitor took the details of should things have gotten complex.
I fight my own corner, knowledge is power, know your rights and express them.
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
Re: lapsing
Why would a DOM ignore you if you broke a strike? You weren't winding the staff up while you were strike breaking were you? The stuff you say that happened sounds a bit extreme if you were just going about your business quietly.twincamms wrote:I have been in the job 19 years.
Five years ago I was the victim of a B & H campaign, (because I didn't strike) it went on for three months, lead by a CWU Rep and ignored by the DOM. I can't go into too much detail but I endured being threatened, not being spoken to, pictures of my wife stuck to my frame with 'slag' scrawled across them, excrement put in my gym bag, my mail that I sorted being taken out of my frame and drop bags when I went on my break and more. I then went off with stress and filed a complaint. I instructed an independent solicitor. An independent investigation was conducted, 35 OPGs interviewed, 12 Managers interviewed, over a period of 5 weeks. All of my allegations were upheld. I was awarded a financial settlement, transferred to the office of my choice and my allowances guaranteed for 3 years.
The CWU Rep was transferred out as punishment but appealed and was back in the DO within 4 months, the managers were supposed to be disbanded but they weren't they just went on B & H Workshops, RM ticking boxes.
Like my solicitor said, 'I can't change RM internal processes and decisions but I can secure you a financial award.'
You can win small battles, if everyone was like me we'd eventually win the war, until then nothing will change.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: lapsing
twincamms wrote:Dumb question but it keeps coming up on here, what is lapsing?
I think what you're referring to is called 'Absorption' in our DO.................
For me:
Lapsing is planned collapsing of duties on a permanent/semi-permanent basis. Ie Summer Lapsing.
Absorption is unplanned lapsing caused by the absence of a duty holder. Joe goes sick and his duty is split between 8 others.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: lapsing
We have only ever had "absorption" in our office and this was planned "absorption" of one walk during the summer.
Thankfully it didn't work well and we haven't done it for at least 18 months, that's not to say it won't return
Thankfully it didn't work well and we haven't done it for at least 18 months, that's not to say it won't return