ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Knee issue - your knowledge?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by Tuffers1875 »

I tore my cartilage and cruciate ligament while playing footy for RM. I was off work in plaster for months. I have had 'new' cartilage placed back in my knee, done at the specialist hospital in Oswestry. They did the same op on Alan Shearer so I believe. I find that after doing a HTC walk that my knee really does ache. No way could I do a HTC 5 days a week, I'd be in a wheelchair. I might have to have a word with the gaffer and try and do a different duty.

At op, you may have torn cartilage. Get down the docs pal.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by clashcityrocker »

With a cartilage tear the pain is usually on the inside of the knee.
If the pain is on the outside of the knee but under the kneecap. then that is where the anterior cruciate ligament runs and is more probably the source of the problem.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by Stormproof »

clashcityrocker wrote:With a cartilage tear the pain is usually on the inside of the knee.
It were'nt for me Clash.....though I did stretch my LCL when I fell.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by worktotime »

bustedflush wrote:Right, for a few months now I have had a specific type of pain in my left knee, in a curve on the outside but inside (if you get my meaning..)
I am asking if any postie may be familiar with these symptoms:

Imagine you balance on one leg and look at the sole of your shoe without using your hands, so the outside ankle of rests across just above the knee of the other leg. I can do this fine with my right foot, but standing on my right leg and raising my left foot to look at the sole gives severe pain before I raise/bend it about two-thirds of the way.

Further to this, I frequently wake up during the night and wonder what has caused me to wake, then realize I have tried to straighten my legs in my sleep (I usually sleep like most in a sort of 'foetal' position) and my left knee won't straighten, and I have literally shouted in pain while straightening it out to lie parallel with the right knee/leg.

The irony is that I get little pain while there is weight on it, so walking isn't affected most of the time. When I climb steps which necessitate bending it near a right-angle the pain is noticeable. As soon as I take the weight off it and let my left lower leg 'hang' say while getting into the van I get a sharp knee pain until I put my foot flat to the floor.

I have endured this for a few months but it is getting bad now and I am taking painkillers every walk. I am going to ring the GP and get an appointment Monday because I feel there is something potentially serious here.

If anyone recognizes this (I know we ain't doctors but somebody may say "Ah! exactly what I had and it was....") then I'd like an idea please. It could be wear and tear, arthritis? ligament? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
could be a torn cartilage , ive had a lot of issues my knees , had 2 ops on one and was told I have no cartilage in it so he said if it goes again that would mean a full replacement but its spot on now no pain etc , the other I had torn cartilage which had a op on and they repaired and clean it out, no pain. go to your docs he will try physio and if they cant do nothing you get refered to a surgeon. good luck.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by bustedflush »

worktotime wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Right, for a few months now I have had a specific type of pain in my left knee, in a curve on the outside but inside (if you get my meaning..)
I am asking if any postie may be familiar with these symptoms:

Imagine you balance on one leg and look at the sole of your shoe without using your hands, so the outside ankle of rests across just above the knee of the other leg. I can do this fine with my right foot, but standing on my right leg and raising my left foot to look at the sole gives severe pain before I raise/bend it about two-thirds of the way.

Further to this, I frequently wake up during the night and wonder what has caused me to wake, then realize I have tried to straighten my legs in my sleep (I usually sleep like most in a sort of 'foetal' position) and my left knee won't straighten, and I have literally shouted in pain while straightening it out to lie parallel with the right knee/leg.

The irony is that I get little pain while there is weight on it, so walking isn't affected most of the time. When I climb steps which necessitate bending it near a right-angle the pain is noticeable. As soon as I take the weight off it and let my left lower leg 'hang' say while getting into the van I get a sharp knee pain until I put my foot flat to the floor.

I have endured this for a few months but it is getting bad now and I am taking painkillers every walk. I am going to ring the GP and get an appointment Monday because I feel there is something potentially serious here.

If anyone recognizes this (I know we ain't doctors but somebody may say "Ah! exactly what I had and it was....") then I'd like an idea please. It could be wear and tear, arthritis? ligament? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
could be a torn cartilage , ive had a lot of issues my knees , had 2 ops on one and was told I have no cartilage in it so he said if it goes again that would mean a full replacement but its spot on now no pain etc , the other I had torn cartilage which had a op on and they repaired and clean it out, no pain. go to your docs he will try physio and if they cant do nothing you get refered to a surgeon. good luck.

Thanks. I had physio on it after a RM van accident I was involved in, but ultimately no permanent help.
I will update this when doc has viewed it.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by worktotime »

bustedflush wrote:
worktotime wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Right, for a few months now I have had a specific type of pain in my left knee, in a curve on the outside but inside (if you get my meaning..)
I am asking if any postie may be familiar with these symptoms:

Imagine you balance on one leg and look at the sole of your shoe without using your hands, so the outside ankle of rests across just above the knee of the other leg. I can do this fine with my right foot, but standing on my right leg and raising my left foot to look at the sole gives severe pain before I raise/bend it about two-thirds of the way.

Further to this, I frequently wake up during the night and wonder what has caused me to wake, then realize I have tried to straighten my legs in my sleep (I usually sleep like most in a sort of 'foetal' position) and my left knee won't straighten, and I have literally shouted in pain while straightening it out to lie parallel with the right knee/leg.

The irony is that I get little pain while there is weight on it, so walking isn't affected most of the time. When I climb steps which necessitate bending it near a right-angle the pain is noticeable. As soon as I take the weight off it and let my left lower leg 'hang' say while getting into the van I get a sharp knee pain until I put my foot flat to the floor.

I have endured this for a few months but it is getting bad now and I am taking painkillers every walk. I am going to ring the GP and get an appointment Monday because I feel there is something potentially serious here.

If anyone recognizes this (I know we ain't doctors but somebody may say "Ah! exactly what I had and it was....") then I'd like an idea please. It could be wear and tear, arthritis? ligament? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
could be a torn cartilage , ive had a lot of issues my knees , had 2 ops on one and was told I have no cartilage in it so he said if it goes again that would mean a full replacement but its spot on now no pain etc , the other I had torn cartilage which had a op on and they repaired and clean it out, no pain. go to your docs he will try physio and if they cant do nothing you get refered to a surgeon. good luck.

Thanks. I had physio on it after a RM van accident I was involved in, but ultimately no permanent help.
I will update this when doc has viewed it.
I think now you can book your own appointment through physio direct on the nhs instead of going to doctors.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by bustedflush »

I went contacted GP yesterday after work as I limped the last hour, my rep TOLD me to. Immediately signed off after describing the symptoms and have to see specialist in town tomorrow AM. Got prescribed codeine before bedtime to stop me waking when it seizes in sleep. Lost the O/T I did yesterday and Monday (early starts) but my long-term health is more important. Another Christmas limping.... :sad:
borders
Posts: 1304
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by borders »

dvbuk55 wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
BUT best action is go to the Dr it's probably wear and tear but you should get it checked and dealt with - ultimately I waited so long it became impossible for me to deliver after 6 years :sad:
But at least it got you a job indoors brewing up and checking the Racing Post...every silver cloud and all that. :Very Happy :nana
Yes it did and I am going to complain about your attitude to old age pensioners who's over the hill, in pain, getting fat and retires next week :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
congratulations on your forthcoming retirement dvbuk 55. I have read most of your posts over the last few years and while I probably disagreed with some/ most!! of them , I like a person with opinions. how long have you been with RM and are you actually looking forward to retirement ? of course we will miss the banter with our mates but will you miss the job ? probably not , I hazard a guess but even I can remember some good times when I first joined !! good health anyway :wink:
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by dvbuk55 »

borders wrote:congratulations on your forthcoming retirement dvbuk 55. I have read most of your posts over the last few years and while I probably disagreed with some/ most!! of them , I like a person with opinions. how long have you been with RM and are you actually looking forward to retirement ? of course we will miss the banter with our mates but will you miss the job ? probably not , I hazard a guess but even I can remember some good times when I first joined !! good health anyway :wink:
Thanks borders! It's been 25 years and I'm ready to retire. The job is nothing like it was even for, the last few years, an indoor worker. I will miss the banter and many of my colleagues but at some point you have to retire. There have been a number of deaths recently of existing and previous employees all of whom have been younger than me and so it has been the right decision.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by General Mannerheim »

There have been a number of deaths recently of existing and previous employees all of whom have been younger than me
Rather harsh way to climb the seniority ladder. :whistle
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by dvbuk55 »

General Mannerheim wrote:
There have been a number of deaths recently of existing and previous employees all of whom have been younger than me
Rather harsh way to climb the seniority ladder. :whistle
Just too late to be of any benefit Mein General - still who knows I may return :cuppa
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by bustedflush »

Back on topic, couldn't go to work today as aching was bad again this morning (just had a rota week off) and I had an x-ray last Monday during my week off. Rang surgery today and nurse said x-ray shows mild osteo-arthritis. Feeling a bit low to be honest, not sure what will happen from here. I can't be the only one with this, do any of you people have this, can you work with it and what treatment is available to help you through the walks - i.e. can I work with it in the mid to long-term?? Please cheer me up someone, am bored witless stuck at home and bit down. :sad:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by dvbuk55 »

bustedflush wrote:Back on topic, couldn't go to work today as aching was bad again this morning (just had a rota week off) and I had an x-ray last Monday during my week off. Rang surgery today and nurse said x-ray shows mild osteo-arthritis. Feeling a bit low to be honest, not sure what will happen from here. I can't be the only one with this, do any of you people have this, can you work with it and what treatment is available to help you through the walks - i.e. can I work with it in the mid to long-term?? Please cheer me up someone, am bored witless stuck at home and bit down. :sad:
Don't know if this will help.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... ritis.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by bustedflush »

dvbuk55 wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Back on topic, couldn't go to work today as aching was bad again this morning (just had a rota week off) and I had an x-ray last Monday during my week off. Rang surgery today and nurse said x-ray shows mild osteo-arthritis. Feeling a bit low to be honest, not sure what will happen from here. I can't be the only one with this, do any of you people have this, can you work with it and what treatment is available to help you through the walks - i.e. can I work with it in the mid to long-term?? Please cheer me up someone, am bored witless stuck at home and bit down. :sad:
Don't know if this will help.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... ritis.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's useful stuff thanks. I am back at docs tomorrow, DIM has already rung me today have just posted him a 2-week sign-off. There are no medicines for it says GP although Palm oil Vitamin E and glucose sulphide (or similar name) have been shown to help in many cases. In bad cases surgery/knee replacement is necessary, but steroid injections seem my most likely treatment if rest and special exercises don't work.
Happy New Year to me! :roll:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Knee issue - your knowledge?

Post by Stormproof »

Steroid injections are very short term, sometimes don't work. I think you mean Glucosamine Sulphate which you'll be able to get at Holland & Barratt or other health food stores.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum