ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feeling down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Feeling down

Post by spiderj »

Happens in ours too mate.

Try and compartmentalising ,it sometimes works for me.

For example when I inform my lino I'm cutting off, everything he says after that I put in the "you really have no people skills and can't cope with pressure" box

When I decide to go over I open the "I'm taking all my break and not listening to the lino whine about the figures" box

Its not right the way some of them go on.
If your down,talk it over with someone,your partner/family/dog...don't bother with the cat though they're selfish :chuckle

Don't bottle it up

Google the phrase going postal....how many of us are due to boil over?
I won
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by themailman »

Seems to be a few offices around the country getting the same

'Some guys are being a dissapointment' rousing talk.

Obviously it's coming from the top.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Feeling down

Post by Darren Bent »

If they can cut management workforce by 30% and increase post delivery staff workforce by 10% it would do wonder.
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

Re: Feeling down

Post by seaside »

My office is the same, most people go over everyday. Can understand management turning a blind eye to it, but our union should be on the case, a simple union poster at every office saying if you don't want to go over your time inform your manager and a phone number if your having problems explaining this to the manager. :confused
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by Barbel »

I know how you feel and it's the same in our office. The morale is low and everybody comes in early, doesn't take breaks and never cuts off. People are too scared to make a stand and if you dare speak up you're treated as an outcast. Imagine if everybody worked by the book, came in on time, took breaks and worked to their time they would be in the shi*. But everyone is too scared in case they're seen as troublemakers and worry about their job security so just put up with it and this is what happens, so many fed up depressed people who are struggling.
Sergeant Blast
Posts: 140
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 22:09
Gender: Male
Location: Up North

Re: Feeling down

Post by Sergeant Blast »

If it is really getting you down go and see your doctor. That's what I did and was diagnosed with depression and took time off. In the end its just a job and shouldn't ruin your life.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by loverman shabba »

could be worse you could be getting minimum wage and feeling down. everyone goes through moments like this. i imagine every office is the same with the main targets being the people who dont want to or cant work over
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Feeling down

Post by krussel »

Stremy wrote:You are right but I've always chipped in but that was when walks took 3 hours at xmas not knocking on for 6.Its too much for me now.
The job is in a mess since they moved to these vans.
I'm going to try and toughen up but its hard and I just needed to vent some steam on here.
It has helped.

I know how you feel Stremy. Check my posts recently. I am the only one in my office not working long overtime. I will do a little but not silly O/clock. I still get about 3 calls whilst out on delivery from 2 different managers. "How you doing ?" "are you going to complete" etc. This is when I ve told them i wont complete and shown them the amount of work in the frame before I ve gone out.

I knew things were going to be bad this year as I had been a pre revision adjusted duty for the prev year . I knew that following the revision deliveries would exceed 5 hrs and push 6hrs come Christmas time. So its a new learning curve for many in my office this year. This time last year they were all getting back at 1pm (pre revision) and I was out till 4pm some days, it was tough, way too tough.

It got to the stage where I was not sleeping worrying about how much work my revised delivery would have the next day. I was on my own, being called lazy, called slow and it nearly finished me.

This year I said from Mid November that I would not work past 2pm. Not easy to be the only one but ive pretty much stuck to it and feel a whole lot better for it. Also I am starting at 6.30am and not coming in at 5am on OT like the rest of the office. There is more to life than a few extra quid in the bank.

Finally Stremy if it gets too much then just go off sick and un wind, it just not worth it fella.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by Nondescript »

This job is a steaming pile now. I'm part time and I've recently discovered that I can make the same amount of money in a shift delivering about 20 pizzas for the local pizza emporium as I make delivering 9 heavy bags of mail, various oversized packets, tracked and specials. :crazy: Or to put it another way, I can make the same amount of money from walking up 20 driveways as I currently do from walking up about 700
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by Flashman_ »

Our office has had a failed revision in for nearly 3 years now (due to be re done in the new year) . In that time a small but significant core of us have done the job properly. Consequently some of us have never completed the loops as designed at all. You probably can imagine the attitude of our managers to us. Over this time I have been bullied and told how poor my performance was. They tried and failed to charge me and others with various disciplinaries. A constant stream of intimidating or snide remarks have been aimed at us. Only this week our DOM was heard to be moaning how our Isle is the worst in the office, and a female member of staff was in tears, due to intimidation. We have had to put up with a lot and it still continues despite numerous grievances put in by staff.
However the thing that keeps me going is the fact that we are only doing what they wanted us to do. If you do the job completely my the book, probably most walks cannot be completed. I know that they have spied on us, to try and catch us out. I have had managers turn up on the walk without notice and watch and time me as I delivered.
It has been hard and depressing and I have been very low at times, but because I am doing everything the way it should be done they cannot do a damn thing about it.
If you feel you are getting unfairly treated and depressed, put in a B&H complaint, or grievance. Bear in mind that if you do, you may get bullied even more in the short term (I am talking from experience here). The key is for everybody to start standing up to these bullies, and exposing them.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by miles_peters »

this christmas = union fail
gosickwithstress
Posts: 69
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 12:28
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by gosickwithstress »

You are not the only one feeling this way, Sickness is heading towards a record high and this is
due to overwork and indirect bulling tactics just to get people to leave. All Royal mail
cares about is profits and cost cutting thanks to being privatised. A lot of
people that once loved there jobs are leaving, But they should
not be forced to go. Hang on in there don't leave
only when sickness goes to a all time high costing
them more millions than it is now, Then they may
acknowledge the problem on how we are all
being treated. We still have a good sickness policy
if things get to much and you are feeling really down
I recommend seeing the doctors they will help. :wink:
borders
Posts: 1304
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10

Re: Feeling down

Post by borders »

fair play to you Flashman , takes a lot of guts to do that. seems things will only get worse and without the solidarity of your workmates it seems a lot of people who take your stance are in for a hard time.
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Feeling down

Post by krussel »

Flashman_ wrote:Our office has had a failed revision in for nearly 3 years now (due to be re done in the new year) . In that time a small but significant core of us have done the job properly. Consequently some of us have never completed the loops as designed at all. You probably can imagine the attitude of our managers to us. Over this time I have been bullied and told how poor my performance was. They tried and failed to charge me and others with various disciplinaries. A constant stream of intimidating or snide remarks have been aimed at us. Only this week our DOM was heard to be moaning how our Isle is the worst in the office, and a female member of staff was in tears, due to intimidation. We have had to put up with a lot and it still continues despite numerous grievances put in by staff.
However the thing that keeps me going is the fact that we are only doing what they wanted us to do. If you do the job completely my the book, probably most walks cannot be completed. I know that they have spied on us, to try and catch us out. I have had managers turn up on the walk without notice and watch and time me as I delivered.
It has been hard and depressing and I have been very low at times, but because I am doing everything the way it should be done they cannot do a damn thing about it.
If you feel you are getting unfairly treated and depressed, put in a B&H complaint, or grievance. Bear in mind that if you do, you may get bullied even more in the short term (I am talking from experience here). The key is for everybody to start standing up to these bullies, and exposing them.

Well said. :Applause

I ve also found that its your own fellow posties who bully and harass you when you cut. :no no
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling down

Post by Spy »

loverman shabba wrote:could be worse you could be getting minimum wage and feeling down. everyone goes through moments like this. i imagine every office is the same with the main targets being the people who dont want to or cant work over
So that makes it OK. Should've realised.