ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thinking of quitting already
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
The good thing is, as well as getting fitter the weight just drops off. 
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Thinking of quitting already
only if the diet is right. Too much carbio, it won't work.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Well her circumstances may be different and consequently possible and may even have a relative willing to try to take a learner driver.jolly_postman wrote:On part time wages, I don't think so!dvbuk55 wrote: Other than that it will get easier and much easier if you learn to drive
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Yes true, hence why we have a lot of fat posties in our DO.Darren Bent wrote:only if the diet is right. Too much carbio, it won't work.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1537
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
The £9.10 an hour comes from adding the delivery supplement to your basic rate of pay.jolly_postman wrote:to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Thinking of quitting already
basic pay £186 or gross pay ?jolly_postman wrote:Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking of quitting already
i started just over 2 years ago and was a overweight an had not been on a bike for years needless to say i struggle once i got home i wouldnt be able to walk without hobbling for hours, i once finished at 650pm but i got paid all my overtime and had plenty of support from the guys in my office you do get quicker and i have to say it took me a couple of months to get my speed up, before i damaged my knee back in june i was one of the fastest in the do, it does get easier it just takes time use impact insoles for shoes and have a good read of the walk log as that should show where the toilets are on your walk. dont give up once you are used to it it is a enjoyable job
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
It's £9.10 an hour basic plus delivery supplement on top so should be about £232 before tax
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
I use drop boxes and I send drinks to the boxes in my pouches it certainly helped during the summer
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Thinking of quitting already
If I was the original poster I would get a proper job instead of working for these profit driven twats you will find out soon!
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Thinking of quitting already
k979aaa wrote:If I was the original poster I would get a proper job instead of working for these profit driven twats you will find out soon!
Sounds like someone wants to practice what they're preaching then...
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
joeyuk
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 13:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
It will become a lot easier after a while. I remember when i 1st started i used to get 2 small walks to do each should take about 2 hours max, after 3.5 hours on the 1st a manager come and found me. Did the same walk 2 months later and was done in 1hr 20mins. Nothing had changed just i got used to the walking and quicker at the job.
I have a big bottle of squash in the van and have a drink after every loop. Normally have a sandwich between loops 3 and 4 as its a 5 min drive.
Don't rush round just to make someone else happy (u will make mistakes this way), any decent postie will accept that u wont be that quick and give u help if needed.
I have a big bottle of squash in the van and have a drink after every loop. Normally have a sandwich between loops 3 and 4 as its a 5 min drive.
Don't rush round just to make someone else happy (u will make mistakes this way), any decent postie will accept that u wont be that quick and give u help if needed.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
You are entitled to 20 minutes PAID break if you work 4-4hrs59mins any day. You get an extra 10 minutes paid break at 5; 7; 9; 11; 13 hours on what you actually work on any given day, regardless of your contract hours.
Your overtime needs to be claimed daily, some managers want your claim at the end of the shift, others might want your claim the morning after your shift.
You do not have to work over your contract hours if you have no desire to do so. Find out ASAP how your manager handles going past your contract hours, the sooner you inform them the better, about if you are happy to complete on paid overtime; do overtime until a certain time; finish at your contracted hours finishing time .
It takes time to adjust to being a postie, the energy and stamina requirements are a shock to the system for many!
Your overtime needs to be claimed daily, some managers want your claim at the end of the shift, others might want your claim the morning after your shift.
You do not have to work over your contract hours if you have no desire to do so. Find out ASAP how your manager handles going past your contract hours, the sooner you inform them the better, about if you are happy to complete on paid overtime; do overtime until a certain time; finish at your contracted hours finishing time .
It takes time to adjust to being a postie, the energy and stamina requirements are a shock to the system for many!
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
Re: Thinking of quitting already
.
Last edited by tonytucker on 16 Oct 2014, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Encouraging words there.tonytucker wrote:Wimp welcome to the real world
Like others have said, tell your coach to slow down, you will get used to it, it takes about 6 weeks before you do, stick in there.