postiewhite wrote:Mr T wrote:I did the management thing myself for 18 months till 4 years ago so any info I've got may be out of date. The way I got into it was just by mentioning it my DOM they first fetched me in to the office on DOM support which involved me doing the balance of staff and various other general office work plus deliveries when needed, that job I really liked but then stepped into the managers shoes while they were on leave.
The job itself for me was a bloody nightmare with the cutbacks and never having enough staff plus as you can see from some of the replies on here you have to try mange people like this who are just awkward for no reason. Pay wise it was only worth £85 extra a week on an acting up basis not sure what it would have been once made up to permanent as didn't stick around long enough. In the end I had enough and went back on deliveries and don't miss it one bit.
One piece of advice would be not to be a twat to the staff as you may want to go back to being a postie after a while. I wouldn't put anyone off having a go at it but for me after a while it started to drain my soul and found myself becoming the type of manager that I hated as it was the only way to get stuff done and that was when I decided to jack it in
Thankyou for your honest reply.
Iam unsure I could do it,my current manager was an ex postie and I can see what he is up against with us lot,especially with the ones that have been there years and will refuse to do lapsing,or packets because of the time which of course needs to be cleared on the same day. There is no harm in enquiring on here and getting sensible replies/feedback from people like yourself and Norm. I dont think the money justifies the extra responsibility and would rather work extra just doing OT with no responsibility. I just wanted to know thats all. Its just a pity a few more on here weren't as helpful or if they didnt know then just don't reply.

!!
thanks again!!

To be honest, going on this quote, you're not really sure what you want. The first bit, you're speaking like a manager; the rest, it doesn't seem like you have the heart. I've no problem with anyone bettering themselves, but you need to ask yourself what 'bettering yourself' means to you. Yes, you will have a better pay packet and will get those bonuses, though the attitude you're going to have to adopt to get into the job and stay there will take it's toll on you, if it's not genuine.
Popular opinion is "Be a tosser, crap on everyone and you'll be fine". This may sound blunt and petty, but it's to the point. You'll be schooled on how to behave, and though some managers do try it, you can't stay friends with the lads.
I suppose a simple way to decide on whether or not you're cut out for it is to watch how they behave when either things aren't going their way i.e lapsing, and when you or anyone else needs something that prevents them from doing the job: like lieu days, light duties or getting finished on time (leaving in or cutting off).
If you're OK with what you see, then what are you waiting for? Go get 'em tiger!