I don't know how the offices for the trial of this new footwear were chosen but it's quite common to include offices that have complained the most about equipment or which have had a specific issue. It is always difficult to decide the length of a trial. On one hand there is a desire to give them a good test, on the other there is usually pressure to introduce the new item(s) as soon as possible to solve the issues with the old kit.wabbithunta wrote:All these manufacturers have got to do is to make them with a more durable rubber compound and not this lightweight crap they use, Cat that is, not sure about this make though but no doubt it'll be a similar compound.
What exactly are these Royal Mail "trials" and what do they consist of? Wear them for a month or so and tell us if you like them.
Should trial these for at least a year in various areas, ie deliveries that have "extreme" conditions for posties and then see what happens.
Worn out after about six months I bet, after doing about 10+ miles per day in them.
The trouble is though that these shoes, and most footwear in general, never ever get to see the amount of daily usage that posties put them through.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I saw today in the office two other types of shoes and they were similar to the CAT trainer. One of them was the one in the photos the Anvil ones, and another one very similar but with a totally different sole. I asked the postie what the make was and he didn't know, but they were Royal Mail shoes as they had a tag on the side, I should've taken a pic of them, as the sole looked totally different to the Anvil/Cat trainers. No yellow bits on the sole to let you know they're worn out etc..Brain Fury wrote:I don't know how the offices for the trial of this new footwear were chosen but it's quite common to include offices that have complained the most about equipment or which have had a specific issue. It is always difficult to decide the length of a trial. On one hand there is a desire to give them a good test, on the other there is usually pressure to introduce the new item(s) as soon as possible to solve the issues with the old kit.wabbithunta wrote:All these manufacturers have got to do is to make them with a more durable rubber compound and not this lightweight crap they use, Cat that is, not sure about this make though but no doubt it'll be a similar compound.
What exactly are these Royal Mail "trials" and what do they consist of? Wear them for a month or so and tell us if you like them.
Should trial these for at least a year in various areas, ie deliveries that have "extreme" conditions for posties and then see what happens.
Worn out after about six months I bet, after doing about 10+ miles per day in them.
The trouble is though that these shoes, and most footwear in general, never ever get to see the amount of daily usage that posties put them through.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
edwardo
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
Cheers been off on holiday and can't be bothered wearing the shoesHitcher wrote:As long as it's not wet outside.
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
if you go to the uniform site both new pairs are on there available to order allegedly.....anvil & yds
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I've had a pair of the other new trainer " YDS " for a couple of weeks now , in my opinion they are 100% better than the Cats , I don't feel like I'm going to slip over at every step , in fact I've had no moments so far covering town walks and deep rurals
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
anvil the top name in footwear 
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I trialled them last year and found exactly the same problem. I was impressed with their waterproofing and grip but comfort and rigidity were lacking. Also - call me old fashioned - but I don't think 'trainers' are appropriate foot wear for the job: black boots a must!Jpro747 wrote:I've just started wearing mine, first few days on delivery and the balls of my feet hurt like hell after, i'm going to try the alternative sole (slightly thicker) and see if its any better.
Anyway, I ordered a pair of magnum shoes a couple of weeks ago and just got these anvil things today. I inquired why and was told that RM instructed Dimensions to send Anvil shoes instead of Magnum due to not enough stock. He said to use the website to ask for another pair of shoes with the reason stated in the notes section and return the anvils.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
what do you wear then ?edwardo wrote:Are we still allowed to wear the old cat trainers in the meantime our manager stops us wearing them
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
Have you ever tried going up and down 100 flats worth of staircases wearing size 12 black boots?Spedley wrote:I trialled them last year and found exactly the same problem. I was impressed with their waterproofing and grip but comfort and rigidity were lacking. Also - call me old fashioned - but I don't think 'trainers' are appropriate foot wear for the job: black boots a must!Jpro747 wrote:I've just started wearing mine, first few days on delivery and the balls of my feet hurt like hell after, i'm going to try the alternative sole (slightly thicker) and see if its any better.
Anyway, I ordered a pair of magnum shoes a couple of weeks ago and just got these anvil things today. I inquired why and was told that RM instructed Dimensions to send Anvil shoes instead of Magnum due to not enough stock. He said to use the website to ask for another pair of shoes with the reason stated in the notes section and return the anvils.
Like walking with concrete tied round your ankles.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
axeman
- Posts: 1733
- Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
Brain Fury wrote:i was recently at an office that had participated in the trial of the trainers and they couldn't wait to be able to order the Anvil Tractions. They loved them. That's the problem with providing uniform (especially footwear) for every person that likes something you'll find somebody else that doesn't.
What a surprise bri of course there perfect have you removed your blindfold and moya headphones yet
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
What are you talking about?axeman wrote:Brain Fury wrote:i was recently at an office that had participated in the trial of the trainers and they couldn't wait to be able to order the Anvil Tractions. They loved them. That's the problem with providing uniform (especially footwear) for every person that likes something you'll find somebody else that doesn't.
What a surprise bri of course there perfect have you removed your blindfold and moya headphones yet
-
cobberwebb
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I've had a pair of these for two weeks now, and I'm done. They are killing my feet. I never had a problem with the CAT trainers apart from the quick wear. I'll just have to wear my Cat boots with my shorts for now 
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I know how you feel. I only use my CAT workboots in really bad weather, p-persistently p-pouring down with rain/hail/sleet/snow as they're way to heavy to use everyday trudging up/down flights of stairs in the blocks of flats we do on our delivery. If I recall there's over 100 flights of stairs, in the main 2 flights per block of flats, discounting the steps from the pavement to the entrances. You soon feel knackered after going up and down those. So any footwear that is light, comfortable (and waterproof) and strong enough to endure the rigours of a daily postal delivery, stairs included will do me. The trouble is our footwear wears out all too quickly when walking about 12 miles per day.Acca Dacca wrote:Have you ever tried going up and down 100 flats worth of staircases wearing size 12 black boots?Spedley wrote:I trialled them last year and found exactly the same problem. I was impressed with their waterproofing and grip but comfort and rigidity were lacking. Also - call me old fashioned - but I don't think 'trainers' are appropriate foot wear for the job: black boots a must!Jpro747 wrote:I've just started wearing mine, first few days on delivery and the balls of my feet hurt like hell after, i'm going to try the alternative sole (slightly thicker) and see if its any better.
Anyway, I ordered a pair of magnum shoes a couple of weeks ago and just got these anvil things today. I inquired why and was told that RM instructed Dimensions to send Anvil shoes instead of Magnum due to not enough stock. He said to use the website to ask for another pair of shoes with the reason stated in the notes section and return the anvils.
Like walking with concrete tied round your ankles.
When I retire.. my feet/ankles/knees will be shot to **** as will any postie who does a delivery. So it would be nice if ANY manufacturer would talk to us when designing/making footwear that will, and should be able to, stand up to the day to day rigours of our job.
I'm dreaming though ain't I, when I say that about shoe manufacturers...
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Pics of new Anvil Traction footwear
I'm afraid you are if you think manufacturers are going to to design and produce bespoke footwear just for Royal Mail. At best we get an adaptation of standard occupational footwear. Finding a shoe that is light, comfortable, slip resistant, waterproof and will withstand walking 10 to 12 miles a day for more than 6 months is about as likely as finding the holy grail.wabbithunta wrote: I'm dreaming though ain't I, when I say that about shoe manufacturers...