ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trollies (Again)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by OnAFlyer »

clashcityrocker wrote:
deltaforce wrote:So if you had a one bundle loop... You would have to push round an empty trolley just for the sake of it.... Let's be sensible here!
A forty minute loop able to be completed with one bundle?
Packets growing exponentially but a whole loop without a single packet?

Let's be sensible here!
Why is every loop 40 minutes? Some of ours are less than 10 on a light day and 20 max. (they are the proper planned loops and run spot on). I've had 15 letters for the last loop before now. If you can split the loops down perfectly and work together well then why not.
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Jamesethefirst »

All these supposedly mandatory trolleys are just stacked in the corner of the yard,I have yet to see anyone use them. Furthermore I have yet to see anybody weighing bags,a lot of people use trays and then bag the bundles when they get out. Whose kidding who that they are mandatory ,only when it suits,as usual. Another ill thought out idea.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Lincox »

Mandatory and bloody daft not to use them if you want to be protected by Royal Mails Employers Liability Cover.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by wabbithunta »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Image


You'll need a pouch.. on a trolley, or a HCT, for that lot!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by fishtank »

OnAFlyer wrote:Why is every loop 40 minutes?
That's the business guide to drive efficiency in park&loop.
Obviously it won't be exactly 40 minutes for every loop and there are some areas with flats or an isolated group of houses where it may only be 10-15 minutes but this should be the exception.
A "model" 4 hour delivery should have 6X40 minute loops which keeps the inefficiencies of starting,driving,stopping and unloading down to a minimum.
I've actually redesigned deliveries that were up to an hour too long because they were stopping a ridiculous amount of times (22 times in one case) and they are now actually coming in below their planned time, the trolley is there to take the weight off the shoulder, not the van.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by halfull »

most of the loops i do are huge 30-50 mins so its almost never that i miss having packets or 2nd & 3rd bundles so trolley is a must. Unless flats.
Postaltony
Posts: 120
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Postaltony »

Duties I have done are planned at 4-4:20hrs with LWT'S. In practice they are more like 5-6hrs when done correctly with the mandatory LWT'S. My manager has said "well the regular people can complete in the duty time, only a problem when your on the duty". I obviously reply with facts.
1. I use LWT'S
2. Regular duty holders do not.
3. I have my meal relief
4. Regular duty holders do not.
5. I work my officially contracted hours
6. You the manager refuse to enforce use of mandatory LWT'S.
7. If you were monitoring usage of lwt's most of the office would have been counselled or conducted.
Manager then just blames my prep, knowing full well I've passed numerous agreed 1 min prep tests.

So my question is why are posties fire fighting daily and CWU doing f**k all about it. They agreed the use of LWT'S they should be ensuring that the agreement is being adhered to.
pyphon
Posts: 231
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: North East England

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by pyphon »

From where I park I can do my 1st loop of two bundles one at a time so yes it is possible.
N1-22postman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 68
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 08:31
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by N1-22postman »

We use lwt`s with 2 bags attached which will take all letters and parcels for each loop so "no weight on shoulder",no stopping and starting to do parcels and the heavy pda stays in the bag until needed. We have 6 pairs of loops and parking and traffic are not easy, so driving about to do parcels would take longer. We are lucky to have no hills and so in a hilly area it would make sense to do heavy parcels from the van to lighten the load of lwt`s for pulling up hills. I am in my 60`s so I appreciate the weight off my shoulder more than in my younger days.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by loverman shabba »

i have re-written my fitting so my loops are small enough not to need a trolley :nana
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by hampshireman »

chrisj wrote:Yes, if that is what your manager wants.

Confirm with manager if you are allowed to dispense with the trolley if the bag weight is very small - less than 5kg, and if he says No, then use the Trolley.

But no point using trolleys for high-rise buildings and places where the trolley might have to be left with mail in the panier out of your line of sight for some time - best to split the loops or drive up.

The other issue is that some posties have gone ahead to split the loops put in by the planners... turning 6 loops to 12 loops in some case: so they can avoid using the trolley, of course. But wasting fuel and carrying weight in the process.
And the Manager says what?...

Use their process.
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by jack »

I think it's been stated on here before somewhere but can't royal mail have a pouch manufactured without straps, I know there's a need for a smaller pouch for flats etc.. but supplying us with strapless pouches would cut out the practise of folk still using the 'bag over the shoulder' method.. which everybody in our office seems to do. Mind you though, some folk would probably go out and buy their own personal pouches specifically to use for the purpose of chucking it over their shoulders!!
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by krussel »

If you have a walk designed for a HCT you have to use it around the delivery. However you can Micro Loop from the trolley with a bag not weighing more than 8kg as long as you chain the trolley up and are not away from it for more than 10 min.



http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... d=8885&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Csalter456
Posts: 7
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 18:47
Gender: Male
Location: Rochdale

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Csalter456 »

This rule as just come into our do I think it's utter rubbish I now try park trolley end of every street and loop out of it hct trolley I mean now. I have maybe one small bundle of mail maybe few packets and my bundle in my hand. I asked the assistant dom this question he said he would do the same so I'm gonna carry on using my bag. One downside if we hurt ourself we ain't got a leg to stand on.
Throgg
Posts: 255
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 17:00
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Throgg »

All our loops are done with a bag on the shoulder. If a loop only has a bundle, then the bag stays in the van and we carry loop in our hands, can't see why you couldn't do the same with a LWT.