ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
I actually lose weight when I have a period of time OFF work, as it's the only time I get to eat healthy food and get proper exercise... as soon as I'm back in work the belly re-appears.
I don't like snacking when I'm in work as it doesn't satisfy my hunger anyway so I tend to starve myself all day then get in, eat like a b******d then crash out on the sofa for what's left of the day.... What a life!
I don't like snacking when I'm in work as it doesn't satisfy my hunger anyway so I tend to starve myself all day then get in, eat like a b******d then crash out on the sofa for what's left of the day.... What a life!
-
BernardBresslaw
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
I worked out I only burn off an extra 300-odd calories during the day, prepping and delivering my round, based on the step-count, so if you still eat like a heffer you are gonna get fat.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Also not all calories are the same,a 500 cal high protein breakfast such as kippers and butter will keep you going a lot longer than eating cereals,you won't feel the need to snack either.Thunderthighs wrote:The walks in town DO help you lose weight, well me anyway. But to be honest..its more like a bit of fat, which means yer muscle are more defined. ( Trust me...Im a former PTI/Sports lecturer.)
But...if you take in EXCESS Calories, the weight/fat WILL increase.
One pound of Fat is approx 2,500 Cals.
I know I had a Basal Metabolic Rate test once, and my Resting Level was once 2,700 cals per day, at rest.
So, I can eat approx 2,700 cals without putting weight on, lying still all day. Take into account, walking, working etc, and this wud probably raise to 4,000 per day or so. But, If I go over this and dont do walks, the fat does come back on.
So, 4,000 cals in 4,000 cals out, weight balance.
5,000 cals in and only 4,000 cals out, weight/fat gain.
4,000 cals in and 5,000 cals out, weight/fat loss.
Hope this helps a bit!
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Docket left
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 07:10
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
"Muscle weighs more than lard "bustedflush wrote:Crikey I've lost a stone and a half since joining and can now eat anything without putting weight on when off work. My metabolism has increased as should have yours. I don't eat during work, only take on water as the person above says. Muscle weighs more than lard, maybe you have put on weight as you were in a sedentary job before and have turned from lard-ass into a more fit person?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.Docket left wrote:"Muscle weighs more than lard "bustedflush wrote:Crikey I've lost a stone and a half since joining and can now eat anything without putting weight on when off work. My metabolism has increased as should have yours. I don't eat during work, only take on water as the person above says. Muscle weighs more than lard, maybe you have put on weight as you were in a sedentary job before and have turned from lard-ass into a more fit person?a tonne of feathers weighs the same as a tonne of lead .... Weight is weight !!!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
That holds true until middle age when a combination of a decrease in your testosterone levels inhibits muscle production and a change in your metabolism means fat and sugar get laid down around your middle and become very difficult to shift.Thunderthighs wrote:
So, 4,000 cals in 4,000 cals out, weight balance.
5,000 cals in and only 4,000 cals out, weight/fat gain.
4,000 cals in and 5,000 cals out, weight/fat loss.
Hope this helps a bit!
Also the onset of type 2 diabetes makes it difficult to increase your energy levels to burn it off.
Trust me I'm middle aged and fat.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
veryn
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 09:10
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Apparently you only really burn calories if you're really out of breath/your pulse is going fast. A walk or a quick walk really isn't enough to do it im afraid =/
I don't like to drink much while on delivery, what do you do if you have no pee stops? =/
I don't like to drink much while on delivery, what do you do if you have no pee stops? =/
-
thevardinator
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
When I joined I was 14 and a half stone, within 2 years I was down to 11 and a half stone, my diet was exactly the same.
Now I'm back up to about 12 stone 10 stone range and seem to be hovering around that.
Now I'm back up to about 12 stone 10 stone range and seem to be hovering around that.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Given that the human metabolism conforms to the first law of thermodynamics that isn't really possible.Everything you do burns calories(energy).veryn wrote:Apparently you only really burn calories if you're really out of breath/your pulse is going fast.
Unfortunately many people put more in than needed and this is stored in the only way the body knows to store excess energy...fat.
What we actually need is a huge flywheel or spring attached to our heads,It would cut out obesity in a stroke if we could store excess energy like an alarm clock or potter's wheel.
It would also make hats more interesting.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Everything you do burns calories,even sleeping,I think what you meant that in order to burn more calories you have to raise your heartrate,drinking water helps you to burn fat,and makes you feel full,veryn wrote:Apparently you only really burn calories if you're really out of breath/your pulse is going fast. A walk or a quick walk really isn't enough to do it im afraid =/
I don't like to drink much while on delivery, what do you do if you have no pee stops? =/
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Not quite true,if you stay active and weight train you can still produce muscle well into your eighties,obviously not as much as in your 20's,on a sedentary male your lean muscle mass starts to decrease once over the age of 40,however this can be dramatically slowed by regular weight training sessions,sugar doesn't get laid down around your waist,when you eat simple carbohydrates like sugar and it's derivatives (fructose,glucose and HFCS) it causes a big spike of insulin which store's it as fat,which in males tends to get stored round the waist,women tend to store fat in other places,if you are trying to lose weight no amount of exercise will make up for bad eating habits,ditch simple carbs such as spuds,bread,cereals,pastry and sugars,eat plenty of protein and vegetables,and don't eat anything processed.clashcityrocker wrote:That holds true until middle age when a combination of a decrease in your testosterone levels inhibits muscle production and a change in your metabolism means fat and sugar get laid down around your middle and become very difficult to shift.Thunderthighs wrote:
So, 4,000 cals in 4,000 cals out, weight balance.
5,000 cals in and only 4,000 cals out, weight/fat gain.
4,000 cals in and 5,000 cals out, weight/fat loss.
Hope this helps a bit!
Also the onset of type 2 diabetes makes it difficult to increase your energy levels to burn it off.
Trust me I'm middle aged and fat.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
I started nearly two years ago at 12s 5lbs. 6 months later I was 10s 8lbs. I am now 10s 10lbs and remain stable at that weight. I had a "beer gut" which disappeared miraculously with the weight loss. I eat the same now as I did pre Postman. Paid to get fit and lean 
-
hauntedpaws
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Aug 2013, 19:16
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Lazycarton wrote:Paid to get fit and lean
And to have virtually no knee joints and bad backs.
-
Thunderthighs
- Posts: 990
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Best definition of "Fitness" I've heard... The ability to handle the stresses/strains/physical demands of your daily work, have enough energy left for Recreational/Sports activies and have a reserve for Emergency Situation, eg...Flat tyre in the dark.
If you can't meet that Criteria, then yer not FIT.
Think they forgot the sitting in front of Sky Sports/Sky Movies every evening though!
If you can't meet that Criteria, then yer not FIT.
Think they forgot the sitting in front of Sky Sports/Sky Movies every evening though!
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: I thought Postmen were supposed to lose weight?
Been a postie for near on 16 years I weighed 20 stone but was very mobile and carried it well......park and loop came in and I shed 6 stone in just over 12 months
I knocked 6 inches off my waist
Dropped 4 shirt sizes
Dropped 3 wedding ring sizes
I cannot begin to tell you how fantastic it feels and how it's literally given me n new lease of life,I can safely say I will never go back to that again
I knocked 6 inches off my waist
Dropped 4 shirt sizes
Dropped 3 wedding ring sizes
I cannot begin to tell you how fantastic it feels and how it's literally given me n new lease of life,I can safely say I will never go back to that again