ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Carrying your Pouches?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

how do you carry your pouches?

Bandolier style? ( across your chest )
121
69%
on one shoulder?
55
31%
 
Total votes: 176

OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by OnAFlyer »

freelunch wrote:I wear two pouches bandolier style, opposite sides full of small parcels. I put the bundles of mail / D2D in the light weight trolley pouches, Anything too large of heavy for the pouches goes on top of the trolley affixed with bungee cords.

All because......... we LOVE parcels :chuckle
I'm not sure if this post is a joke or not....you have a trolley, plus you carry two bags AND fasten oversize packets to the trolley with bungee cords?
mailmonkey
Posts: 431
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by mailmonkey »

OnAFlyer wrote:
freelunch wrote:I wear two pouches bandolier style, opposite sides full of small parcels. I put the bundles of mail / D2D in the light weight trolley pouches, Anything too large of heavy for the pouches goes on top of the trolley affixed with bungee cords.

All because......... we LOVE parcels :chuckle
I'm not sure if this post is a joke or not....you have a trolley, plus you carry two bags AND fasten oversize packets to the trolley with bungee cords?
lol thats what I was thinking ;liar
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16728
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Energie_man wrote:Had P&L around 3 months now... Been told we are allowed to use the smaller pouches as long as weight is under 8kg for loops instead of trolley..
A 40 minute loop that has under 8kg of mail and no large packets?
Anyway the agreement said once assigned the use of delivery method equipment was mandatory.
The aim was to remove as far as possible the weight on the shoulder.
Using pouches for loops under 8kg wasn't in any agreement I ever saw.
So why would anyone have to carry 7kg if they don't have to?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
brykins
Posts: 44
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 14:33
Gender: Male

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by brykins »

As far as I know, you HAVE to carry bags (where you're allowed to) bandolier style - it's a security thing. A bag over one shoulder is very easy for an opportunistic thief to whip off you whereas it's a lot harder if it's over your head.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by arnold cheshire »

brykins wrote:As far as I know, you HAVE to carry bags (where you're allowed to) bandolier style - it's a security thing. A bag over one shoulder is very easy for an opportunistic thief to whip off you whereas it's a lot harder if it's over your head.
rubbish :left:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by OnAFlyer »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Energie_man wrote:Had P&L around 3 months now... Been told we are allowed to use the smaller pouches as long as weight is under 8kg for loops instead of trolley..
A 40 minute loop that has under 8kg of mail and no large packets?
Anyway the agreement said once assigned the use of delivery method equipment was mandatory.
The aim was to remove as far as possible the weight on the shoulder.
Using pouches for loops under 8kg wasn't in any agreement I ever saw.
So why would anyone have to carry 7kg if they don't have to?
We have cut our loops into smaller ones, so I very rarely carry more than 2 bundles in the bag and 1 in hand. It's made a big difference to how I feel after a delivery. Many of our loops are 10-20 minutes long, but our walks lend themselves to being split down really well and I appreciate some don't.

What does puzzle me is why it seems to be taken for granted that pulling a trolley with two full bags on it is better than carrying a light bag - I've tried it and it isn't, especially on a hill!

So my question is, why would you pull 20kg+ when you can carry 5? Many posties carry more than that in excess body weight anyway.
bandit1157
Posts: 246
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Gender: Male
Location: sh1t street

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by bandit1157 »

OnAFlyer wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Energie_man wrote:Had P&L around 3 months now... Been told we are allowed to use the smaller pouches as long as weight is under 8kg for loops instead of trolley..
A 40 minute loop that has under 8kg of mail and no large packets?
Anyway the agreement said once assigned the use of delivery method equipment was mandatory.
The aim was to remove as far as possible the weight on the shoulder.
Using pouches for loops under 8kg wasn't in any agreement I ever saw.
So why would anyone have to carry 7kg if they don't have to?
We have cut our loops into smaller ones, so I very rarely carry more than 2 bundles in the bag and 1 in hand. It's made a big difference to how I feel after a delivery. Many of our loops are 10-20 minutes long, but our walks lend themselves to being split down really well and I appreciate some don't.

What does puzzle me is why it seems to be taken for granted that pulling a trolley with two full bags on it is better than carrying a light bag - I've tried it and it isn't, especially

So my question is, why would you pull 20kg+ when you can carry 5? Many posties carry more than that in excess body weight anyway.
Our office had to carry approx 115 excess kilo until our manager moved up the ladder recently :Very Happy
It's life Jim but not as we know it
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Carrying your Pouches?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bandit1157 wrote: Our office had to carry approx 115 excess kilo until our manager moved up the ladder recently :Very Happy
Is that yet more under reporting going on.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.