ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Couples Who Work Together & Annual Leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
viking1488
Posts: 446
Joined: 15 May 2009, 15:37
Gender: Male

Re: Couples Who Work Together & Annual Leave

Post by viking1488 »

dazzlin72 wrote:I was just wondering what the process is with regard to this? Is it right that they should be able to take every weeks leave together when it is then denying others that same period of leave? In respect of school hols for instance, surely it only takes 1 to look after the kids not both!, so why not share the minding duties?
I don't think couples who work together should have the same leave etc that's a big no no its hard enough to get leave as it is why should couples get the same
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: Couples Who Work Together & Annual Leave

Post by janitor »

But why is it such a problem, now A/L is not handled in seniority order it's quite easy to arrange, if both are in the same group or adjoining groups, depending on I if they wish same weeks or consecutive weeks, I don't see where the trouble lies. In my last office everyone got there first two weeks anyway. The thing that did piss me off, was when one person tried to get the dom to ring fence the entire six weeks summer break for people with kids, which the dom refused, then through a paddy every time someone without kids got or refused to swap with someone with kids.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Couples Who Work Together & Annual Leave

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

janitor wrote:But why is it such a problem, now A/L is not handled in seniority order it's quite easy to arrange, if both are in the same group or adjoining groups, depending on I if they wish same weeks or consecutive weeks, I don't see where the trouble lies. In my last office everyone got there first two weeks anyway. The thing that did piss me off, was when one person tried to get the dom to ring fence the entire six weeks summer break for people with kids, which the dom refused, then through a paddy every time someone without kids got or refused to swap with someone with kids.
And the DOM was correct to do so.
So good on them.
Just because someone doesn't have children, is no reason to block certain weeks.
As an example, I work with a guy who has 3 grown up children, and doesn't need those weeks for them.
But he always has school weeks, as his partner is a teacher, he has no choice.

We had all parents crying over this issue a few years ago, but they lost. There is a procedure, agreed by RM and the CWU, so live with it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.