ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by CharlesSpooner »

Rhona wrote: Would you say there is a common progression route?
Yep - be young and have a university degree but no actual working experience within the mail industry. Not that I'm old & bitter or anything :whistle

At the very best if you get in your DOM's (Delivery Office Manager) good books you might get a cushy DOM assist role. It's the same pay but you'll be in charge of typing a few things into a computer and doing the coffee & butty runs for the managers. You might even get your own clipboard :nana
barnsleyman
Posts: 6
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 14:56
Gender: Male
Location: upper strummerville

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by barnsleyman »

Don't worry Rhona I think you get a weeks training and they don't just chuck you out on a walk that you don't know. Our office works in pairs from a van so you are never on your own, you will enjoy it once you get used to climbing stairs!! See you next week and you don't need to know a name somebody will tell you as I have taken quite a bit of stick for posting on here!!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by clashcityrocker »

So how is it going?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Rhona
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jul 2013, 20:24
Gender: Female

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by Rhona »

No updates yet I'm afraid - induction is tomorrow!

Still creeping around on here trying to soak up as much "inside" info as possible. Seems my DO will be pleasant enough, going by barnsleyman's input, so not much dread there.

As for other jobs, I've been trying to get a few applications out the way today before my working week starts (I presume I'll be working through until Saturday, but it'll be a nice surprise if I'm not).
jifjoe
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Dec 2010, 02:49
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by jifjoe »

Get involved with any activity within the office. I know that there is going to be a new drive for workplace coaches and the introduction of world class mail :thumbup in deliveries is a good opportunity to help you progress. Speak to your Plant Manager (DOM) and express your interest. I started RM 6 years ago... at the age of 16, I have worked my way up, I must say its hard work getting there, But now have a very rewarding role where I get to travel and facilitate!
Rhona
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jul 2013, 20:24
Gender: Female

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by Rhona »

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear a success story.

My time at Royal Mail was short & sweet. Induction last Tuesday, first day Wednesday, offered a new job better suited to me on the Wednesday afternoon! I started on Monday, posting mail seems so long ago now lol.

I left on good terms (I think). I worked through until Saturday and was just honest with everyone. Who knows, maybe I'll be back one day.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by clashcityrocker »

Sherpas Rule wrote:On the subject, does anyone know what a deputy manager gets paid? Is it a constant allowance or only paid when required?
Thirty pieces of silver.
I believe it is a one off payment.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by spiderj »

Lol

Paid when required
:nana
I won
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by krussel »

Sherpas Rule wrote:On the subject, does anyone know what a deputy manager gets paid? Is it a constant allowance or only paid when required?

Yes its paid as required.

I guess if you get training then perhaps covering for a week leave makes sense for some.

Other than that I guess you will only get it when a dom has to suddenly go to another office or go home sick, then you get dropped in the deep end. I doubt your work colleges will be much help :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
jifjoe
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Dec 2010, 02:49
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by jifjoe »

Sherpas Rule wrote:On the subject, does anyone know what a deputy manager gets paid? Is it a constant allowance or only paid when required?

You get substituted to the relevant grade you are covering, e.g. from an OPG to ML4 or DM4 etc... This is put in like overtime into PSP.
barrowc
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 383
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 01:36
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by barrowc »

^ with no eligibility for the Managers' Bonus Scheme unless you cover for more than 13 weeks in the year. Also, no eligibility for any increments - no matter how long you cover for, you'll be on the grade minimum.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by dvbuk55 »

Rhona wrote:Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear a success story.

My time at Royal Mail was short & sweet. Induction last Tuesday, first day Wednesday, offered a new job better suited to me on the Wednesday afternoon! I started on Monday, posting mail seems so long ago now lol.

I left on good terms (I think). I worked through until Saturday and was just honest with everyone. Who knows, maybe I'll be back one day.
Oddly enough from the tenor of your first post I had an inkling you wouldn't last as a postwoman. :cuppa
Rhona
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jul 2013, 20:24
Gender: Female

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by Rhona »

Well, I would've lasted if I had to. The type of work suited me fairly well and I was told I would've been good in the role, if I'd stayed. But a better option came along, so hey ho.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Progressing from Postman/Postwoman

Post by dvbuk55 »

Rhona wrote:Well, I would've lasted if I had to. The type of work suited me fairly well and I was told I would've been good in the role, if I'd stayed. But a better option came along, so hey ho.
TBH you gave the impression you were looking for an out before you actually got in.