ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM running out of DOMs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

daveyeff wrote:
AnotherLimey wrote:
daveyeff wrote:he,s been given a fortnite to think it over.
I'm a rep too, been offered the lino job by the DSM, i'm more than capable to do the job, i CAN manage, but i refuse to manage whithin Royal mail, i refuse to hand out stage warnings to people that do not deserve it, i refuse to blame people for having a genuine accident, i refuse to try and bully people into working at a BSI that is bollocks, traffic figures and such like that are not realistic, i RUFUSE to be a c***... :cuppa
the sub rep was asked also.,,,,,,seems they ask all the reps apparently. why though??
one rule of warfare is always try to neutralise their most effective weapon. What better way to do that then get a rep to become a manager.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by halfull »

hopefully
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by Judgee »

daveyeff wrote:
AnotherLimey wrote:
daveyeff wrote:he,s been given a fortnite to think it over.
I'm a rep too, been offered the lino job by the DSM, i'm more than capable to do the job, i CAN manage, but i refuse to manage whithin Royal mail, i refuse to hand out stage warnings to people that do not deserve it, i refuse to blame people for having a genuine accident, i refuse to try and bully people into working at a BSI that is bollocks, traffic figures and such like that are not realistic, i RUFUSE to be a c***... :cuppa
the sub rep was asked also.,,,,,,seems they ask all the reps apparently. why though??

It's thier new strategy to wipe out what's left of the union. Make all the reps managers and there will be no one left to run the union.... they have a cunning plan! :crazy:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
BoltonPostie
Posts: 328
Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
Gender: Male
Location: Up s**t creek.

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by BoltonPostie »

How can they run out of clones?
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

AnotherLimey wrote:
daveyeff wrote:he,s been given a fortnite to think it over.
I'm a rep too, been offered the lino job by the DSM, i'm more than capable to do the job, i CAN manage, but i refuse to manage whithin Royal mail, i refuse to hand out stage warnings to people that do not deserve it, i refuse to blame people for having a genuine accident, i refuse to try and bully people into working at a BSI that is bollocks, traffic figures and such like that are not realistic, i RUFUSE to be a c***... :cuppa
It would appear that you have self respect and also respect your colleagues. With what you have written here, it's plain to see you wouldn't have lasted long as a manager. I've no doubt you have the ability, skills and other requirements, but if you refuse to bully and harass the staff.....well, that's the most basic management skill in RM these days. They wouldn't have been able to accept that. Treating your staff properly. :cuppa

It does appear that, on a national level, RM is trying to neutralise Reps by offering them a management role, hopefully most will refuse.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

:hmmmm See I'm torn now, I did want to be a WCM Champion and then there are these positions of even greater power er I mean responsibility - decisions, decisions - it would certainly be a step up from milk monitor................if I have to rely on a lino though...............how come there are never any adverts for cleaners?
parcelboy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 206
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 17:41
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by parcelboy »

Wishfull thinking maybe there having a clear out before the s**t hits the fan.Especially in a couple of dodgy areas where "Bullying is at a all time high"maybe those nice people at Mori and likes have tipped them off cant wait to see results :nana :dance :Very Happy :dance :crazy: :d'oh!
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by Sidley »

Budfrog wrote: If you have a track record of leadership and delivering results within an Operational environment, can demonstrate a strong career progression to date,and you possess some or all of the following then we would be interested in talking to you:

Are a certified sociopath.
Strong communication skills (ability to shout) and the ability to influence a wide range of stakeholders (ability to intimidate)
Operational team leadership experience (hardest in your class at school?)
An ability to make sound commercial decisions (someone else's job or a bigger bonus for yourself, decisions decisions)
Strong analytical, planning and organisational skills (a rat-like cunning is essential)
Experience of integrating and delivering change in a complex operational environment (getting your own way
Project management / Lean skills and experience ( one sugar or two?)
The ability to coach and mentor to a high standard (the ability to bullshit with a straight face)
Possess a degree or equivalent qualification (must be able to count without using your fingers and read without moving your lips)
Relevant operations experience in similar dispersed manufacturing, network utility / logistics / service organisations ( We salute you our new TNT overlords!)
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by NWpostie »

I was asked to step up to bossing, I declined I wouldn't want the job for all the stress and hassle you get, for a few extra quid, I rather do what I am doing now and keep my dignity intact and my soul pure.

Once you cross that line you can't come back over if it doesn't work out, especially if you acted like a bully.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I do know a boss from a MC not far from me that is closing, and he is a nice bloke...and I mean that. Genuinely. He has been offered a job about 150 miles away as 'it's the nearest place with vacancies' (which it isn't - in my unit there are at least 4 non substantive managers, one of which was made up after he was given this 'option'). So he now has the choice of driving 150 miles to and from work everyday or quitting. So it does look like it's not just us OPG's that are in the firing line now. He has been with RM for about 30 years, has more knowledge of every department/unit available, and it must p**s him off royally when he sees RM advertising for uni graduates.

I don't think it says anything specific in the ads, but I will assume that new management recruits are on less money than current bosses. And there is the added element that, as uni grads especially, these people have ZERO experience in this or any business/work place, then they are likely to believe whatever they are told by their superiors. Including how lazy we are, how belligerent we are, how unappreciative we are to have a job, how we don't understand the situation RM faces etc etc.

All the decent staff, OPG and Managers (the old school types - i.e. proper actual managers) alike, are being driven out and replaced with clueless, useless idiots who don't understand what is going on, and how they are helping with/accelerating the demise of this company.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Apparently my history of being in the Hitler Youth precluded me from being a candidate - can't see how considering the last Popes previous................
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by newtimes »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:I do know a boss from a MC not far from me that is closing, and he is a nice bloke...and I mean that. Genuinely. He has been offered a job about 150 miles away as 'it's the nearest place with vacancies' (which it isn't - in my unit there are at least 4 non substantive managers, one of which was made up after he was given this 'option'). So he now has the choice of driving 150 miles to and from work everyday or quitting. So it does look like it's not just us OPG's that are in the firing line now. He has been with RM for about 30 years, has more knowledge of every department/unit available, and it must p**s him off royally when he sees RM advertising for uni graduates.

I don't think it says anything specific in the ads, but I will assume that new management recruits are on less money than current bosses. And there is the added element that, as uni grads especially, these people have ZERO experience in this or any business/work place, then they are likely to believe whatever they are told by their superiors. Including how lazy we are, how belligerent we are, how unappreciative we are to have a job, how we don't understand the situation RM faces etc etc.

All the decent staff, OPG and Managers (the old school types - i.e. proper actual managers) alike, are being driven out and replaced with clueless, useless idiots who don't understand what is going on, and how they are helping with/accelerating the demise of this company.
Many years ago when I worked in London, BRS did the same thing, the "old" people kicked out and replaced with graduates. Nothing wrong with graduates...............but the ones that were employed had no clue or skills to understand logistics, total mess. I am sure RM would not repeat this mega disaster. :cuppa
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by dvbuk55 »

newtimes wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:I do know a boss from a MC not far from me that is closing, and he is a nice bloke...and I mean that. Genuinely. He has been offered a job about 150 miles away as 'it's the nearest place with vacancies' (which it isn't - in my unit there are at least 4 non substantive managers, one of which was made up after he was given this 'option'). So he now has the choice of driving 150 miles to and from work everyday or quitting. So it does look like it's not just us OPG's that are in the firing line now. He has been with RM for about 30 years, has more knowledge of every department/unit available, and it must p**s him off royally when he sees RM advertising for uni graduates.

I don't think it says anything specific in the ads, but I will assume that new management recruits are on less money than current bosses. And there is the added element that, as uni grads especially, these people have ZERO experience in this or any business/work place, then they are likely to believe whatever they are told by their superiors. Including how lazy we are, how belligerent we are, how unappreciative we are to have a job, how we don't understand the situation RM faces etc etc.

All the decent staff, OPG and Managers (the old school types - i.e. proper actual managers) alike, are being driven out and replaced with clueless, useless idiots who don't understand what is going on, and how they are helping with/accelerating the demise of this company.
Many years ago when I worked in London, BRS did the same thing, the "old" people kicked out and replaced with graduates. Nothing wrong with graduates...............but the ones that were employed had no clue or skills to understand logistics, total mess. I am sure RM would not repeat this mega disaster. :cuppa
Oh I don't know. The problem with graduates is they have spent so long in academia they have absolutely no concept about actually working. They have been conditioned to respond with answers that fit the bill and consequently sound persuasive to their masters without knowing how that wonderful scheme/idea is going to translate to the workplace...................hence BT2010.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by Budfrog »

I don't have a problem with RM employing Graduates, but when they are forcing substantive managers to take VR with the threat of compulsory redundancy on minimum terms if they do not accept then the existing employees should be taken care of first.

There have been some very capable people enter RM under the Graduate scheme, however many do not wish to remain in Ops long term and use RM to move on to better positions elsewhere as soon as they can. Most needs a lot of support and training during their first two or three years and some are simply not suited to man management. Many believe all the propoganda and spin from the top and the ones that don't follow the RM template either leave of there own accord or simply do not progress.

I am not anti manager, or anti graduate but I dissagree strongly with the current style of management which is based on intimidation and which does not allow managers to do what they are paid to do which is think for themselves and actually manage. Bullies are still employed at very senior levels within RM so what do you expect?
Groundpounder
Posts: 66
Joined: 04 May 2011, 19:52
Gender: Male

Re: RM running out of DOMs?

Post by Groundpounder »

You want to see the bunch of suited clowns we've got I've honestly been more inspired by the last object that fell out of my nose.