ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
catch22
Posts: 196
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by catch22 »

jw1234 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:And my office is the same as yours,but many aren't.
It's not all lies and bullshit on here you know.

You still a casual btw?
Nope, never was! Not quite sure how it happened... :nana
Well then thats why you're happy....
I on the other hand have spent the past 2 years, pleasing my manager to secure my job... the slightest mistake and im back at the bottom of the pile... walking on egg shells... afraid to phone in sick... afraid to cut off, turning up unpaid early.... and the slightest error, and i was threatened with my contract not being re-newed..... being remind every other week....'you're still just a temp you no... i can still fail your trial....'

well no more... no i can relax... finally secured it... but its not fair to make someone jump through hoops for job security...
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by postypie »

Funny this one...only today i was talking to a colleague who has been a postie over 40 years....i asked him where was the smile i used to see 20 odd years ago and why he hadn't retired yet?
To my surprise he told me he 'still enjoyed the job'......once he was out of the office and on deliveries....
PostieSP1
Posts: 63
Joined: 17 Sep 2011, 00:56
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by PostieSP1 »

Makes me laugh when even 20+ years ago in the days of finishing upto 2 hours early everyday there were still some blokes bitchin about the job lol they never realised they had it so good.
Luckily in my office most ppl can still finish,but yes there are cut-offs which would of been unheard of when i started as there were plenty of guys willing to do the extra under the ol Ghost overtime:p
It's shocking what i read on here as so far i've kept my head low and just got on with it,if i go over i book it which is allways paid no problems.
Am i right in thinking it's the cut-off guys that get most of the grief though no fault of their own?

When i see what pay/conditions there are in India/China etc this isn't such a bad job,which is probably why i have so few posts as i really can't offer many negatives i'm afraid...
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by DirtyHarry »

jw1234 wrote:
What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh
Too right they do, DOMs they are called, the useless, lazy, shaven-headed lard-arses.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by twobags »

jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...

Maybe I have a good small office and a good manager unlike others, but I start when I should start, do the walk I am told, and either cut off or go overtime if it is a busy day. Simple as that. So stress free, get the DAB radio in and go for a nice walk-about. :chuckle

Even over Christmas I was sent to a different office, on a new round everyday working 2+ hours overtime and I still found myself nearly enjoying it!

What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh
you are not really grasping whats being moaned about ,i moan a lot about the place but its the company or policy ,the job is a great job once your away from the office , im going through a dodgy period now but enjoy delivery as for the work shy comment its a bit out of order, there are not many i dont think, the job is physical hard graft on average a postie will do a half marathon each day he works , your just lucky to be where you are :no no
blackbooks
Posts: 46
Joined: 17 Apr 2012, 19:25
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by blackbooks »

I agree, :nana and am in much the same situation. I joined as Xmas casual a year ago, stayed on, transferred to a more local office, and to be honest - love it. I have a variety of duties; town walks, a rural and a packet delivery, indoor and collection SAs to cover. The money is not great, but I get by, with overtime available most days.

The negativity mostly comes from those who have been in the job for a long time and look longingly back to the 'good old days', and have been well protected from reality by a strong union. Some are great hardworking guys [and gals], some are whingers and otherwise unemployable :cuppa , who are in for one hell of a shock when the private sector comes in.

The business has two main problems- hopeless IT (senior mgt realise this and are looking to the investment from privatisation to get this sorted), and some truly appalling middle management, who prefer a culture of bullying and dishonesty to any sort of proper modern management practice.

Interesting times. :arrrghhh
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by DirtyHarry »

PostieSP1 wrote:
When i see what pay/conditions there are in India/China etc this isn't such a bad job,which is probably why i have so few posts as i really can't offer many negatives i'm afraid...
India? China? You sound thankful you aren't treated almost as badly as a third-world serf. This is Britain, a country that regularly takes it's place at the G7 and G20 summit meetings involving the richest nations on earth. :d'oh!
lewesspudgun
Posts: 76
Joined: 24 May 2010, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by lewesspudgun »

I LOVE THIS JOB no matter what ever management throw at you there are only 8 hours in a working day. Good mates, great crack,plenty of fresh air and exercise.Plus any problems at work find a solution right here.You wont find a more entertaining job elsewhere
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by Judgee »

lewesspudgun wrote:I LOVE THIS JOB no matter what ever management throw at you there are only 8 hours in a working day. Good mates, great crack,plenty of fresh air and exercise.Plus any problems at work find a solution right here.You wont find a more entertaining job elsewhere


....and remember kids stay off the drugs! :crazy:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by fng »

anTi wrote:
jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...
Well if you'd been here a lot longer then you would know just how good it was. Im now way what you might call a long termer (just 10 years) but back then it was so much better than it is now. In terms of docket 'do ability'. P&L has killed off the good times.
Would i be correct in saying that by "killed off the good times" people are now having to work for the hours paid :nervous rather than job and knock or job and docket ?

P+L has changed nothing, you start at your start time.....work at a resonable pace.....finish(cutoff) at your end time and get paid an hourly rate for what you do, an hourly rate that many many people would give their right arm for.
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by fishtank »

fng wrote:Would i be correct in saying that by "killed off the good times" people are now having to work for the hours paid :nervous rather than job and knock or job and docket ?.
No.
That isn't why the job has gone downhill.
I worked all my hours 15-20 years ago....and there were more of them then.
It's the atmosphere,management and most disappointingly some of our colleagues that make the job toxic now.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
ballee
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 19:21

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by ballee »

lewesspudgun wrote:I LOVE THIS JOB no matter what ever management throw at you there are only 8 hours in a working day. Good mates, great crack,plenty of fresh air and exercise.Plus any problems at work find a solution right here.You wont find a more entertaining job elsewhere

It must be all that crack you are taking that makes the job look good, don't let the IB catch you.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DirtyHarry wrote:
PostieSP1 wrote:
When i see what pay/conditions there are in India/China etc this isn't such a bad job,which is probably why i have so few posts as i really can't offer many negatives i'm afraid...
India? China? You sound thankful you aren't treated almost as badly as a third-world serf. This is Britain, a country that regularly takes it's place at the G7 and G20 summit meetings involving the richest nations on earth. :d'oh!
I am with you DH never understood the DM argument of others have it worse so we shouldn't complain. The reason why India/China have such bad working conditions is because in India they do not have a history of workers struggle, or of them uniting even during colonial times most of the struggle against the empire was fractionalised. In china - working conditions are so bad because of oppression.

So if its okay with PostieSP I'll try to improve my lot, and I'll help in the little ways I can with other peoples struggles, I have always thought its better to aim for bringing the worst working conditions up to ours, rather than let ours worsen to match theirs.

PS - I am one of the complainers on here, and I think it is a brilliant job. It could be much better so why can't we fight for that instead of accepting the status quo.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by chooch »

fishtank wrote:
fng wrote:Would i be correct in saying that by "killed off the good times" people are now having to work for the hours paid :nervous rather than job and knock or job and docket ?.
No.
That isn't why the job has gone downhill.
I worked all my hours 15-20 years ago....and there were more of them then.
It's the atmosphere,management and most disappointingly some of our colleagues that make the job toxic now.
Sad but True.. :nervous
Thixty
Posts: 40
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by Thixty »

jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...

Maybe I have a good small office and a good manager unlike others, but I start when I should start, do the walk I am told, and either cut off or go overtime if it is a busy day. Simple as that. So stress free, get the DAB radio in and go for a nice walk-about. :chuckle

Even over Christmas I was sent to a different office, on a new round everyday working 2+ hours overtime and I still found myself nearly enjoying it!

What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh

looks like a Gaffer has joined the forum :no no