I have managed and supervised in previous jobs and the management culture in RM is toxic in the extreme. Some of you may think that what I say next is arrogant, but its the truth: I couldn't manage in Royal Mail because my conscience wouldn't allow me to.
Quite right Teebs ......
If you want the respect of the workforce you are supposedly managing, never ask them to do something that you wouldn't do, or that you think is wrong.
But probably just as important ....... be honest .......
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
When I returned to RM after a 5 year break I was chatted up to return to a managerial role as an acting delivery manager (I'd been a collections manager when I took VR). It took me about 5 seconds to say "thanks but no thanks".
I have managed and supervised in previous jobs and the management culture in RM is toxic in the extreme. Some of you may think that what I say next is arrogant, but its the truth: I couldn't manage in Royal Mail because my conscience wouldn't allow me to.
Quite right Teebs ......
If you want the respect of the workforce you are supposedly managing, never ask them to do something that you wouldn't do, >>> Not quite right. Circumstances can dictate what you can and cannot dot. That does not mean you are a bad manageror that you think is wrong.>>>> Agree ; never do something that is wrongBut probably just as important ....... be honest .......>>>> To me the most important point. Be honest. Most will accept that you are honest and hopefully telling the truth. By that you gain respect. But you must back up your words. i.e No Favourites. We all see it. Only certain people get overtime and worse only certain people get bullied
I have managed and supervised in previous jobs and the management culture in RM is toxic in the extreme. Some of you may think that what I say next is arrogant, but its the truth: I couldn't manage in Royal Mail because my conscience wouldn't allow me to.
Quite right Teebs ......
If you want the respect of the workforce you are supposedly managing, never ask them to do something that you wouldn't do, >>> Not quite right. Circumstances can dictate what you can and cannot dot. That does not mean you are a bad manageror that you think is wrong.>>>> Agree ; never do something that is wrongBut probably just as important ....... be honest .......>>>> To me the most important point. Be honest. Most will accept that you are honest and hopefully telling the truth. By that you gain respect. But you must back up your words. i.e No Favourites. We all see it. Only certain people get overtime and worse only certain people get bullied
Not quite right ?
Hamps, i am stating my opinion on respect of managers, not quoting fact. I do not need my opinion altered, thank you.
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
As previous post I have managed and supervised in many different companies and I wouldn't do the Dom job most off them don't have a clue and are nothing but bullies. Our Dom hasn't got scooby and nobody likes him and he loves that fact. He has never been a postie and couldn't do the job,came straight from a retail company. His number 2 has been a postie and is a great Dom but his strings are pulled by the big guy.
Puppetmaster wrote:Our Dom is a fairly Decent guy,and does have a good understanding of the job .
Recently he is looking so stressed out ,he is being torn in 2 impossible Directions,Area wants blood and cuts wich he cannot deliver,Everyday a battle to cover all the walks .
I cannot understand why anyone would want to be a Manager in RM ,area do not let them Manage .
I don't feel even remotely sorry for your bloke, or any so-called manager in this shitty firm.
They know their brief when they take that step up, walk all over the staff, trample them into the ground, impair their health as best you can.
And they do, to their utmost ability.
bwfcmaddog wrote:if you can stand in front of an office and tell lies you will make it,
if you cant dont bother liers and bullys most of um
Spot on!! I left Royal Mail 9 weeks ago. The lies these people (doms) come up with is a disgrace to the point they could be taken to a tribunal. If they told the truth and had the guts to stand up to senior management the people who count in the company (posties) wouldnt be looking for other jobs. I had 5 years in the job, loved it! but it was the lies which finally broke me........
Puppetmaster wrote:Our Dom is a fairly Decent guy,and does have a good understanding of the job .
Recently he is looking so stressed out ,he is being torn in 2 impossible Directions,Area wants blood and cuts wich he cannot deliver,Everyday a battle to cover all the walks .
I cannot understand why anyone would want to be a Manager in RM ,area do not let them Manage .
I don't feel even remotely sorry for your bloke, or any so-called manager in this shitty firm.
They know their brief when they take that step up, walk all over the staff, trample them into the ground, impair their health as best you can.
And they do, to their utmost ability.
Very true, they don't deserve any sympathy at all, they know what they are signing up for and they are happy to take the money and s**t all over people below them.
Puppetmaster wrote:Our Dom is a fairly Decent guy,and does have a good understanding of the job .
Recently he is looking so stressed out ,he is being torn in 2 impossible Directions,Area wants blood and cuts wich he cannot deliver,Everyday a battle to cover all the walks .
I cannot understand why anyone would want to be a Manager in RM ,area do not let them Manage .
I don't feel even remotely sorry for your bloke, or any so-called manager in this shitty firm.
They know their brief when they take that step up, walk all over the staff, trample them into the ground, impair their health as best you can.
And they do, to their utmost ability.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
No........in all the years i have worked at RM....i have yet to come across either a good manager or decent DOM.....having come from the building trade where managers trusted their staff,gave them the right tools to do their work,treated them well and like adults, and were even prepared to muck in when things got tough...it was a culture shock coming to RM....if anyone asks me where RM went wrong over recent years and offer such a poor service compared with say 20 or 30 years ago....all i say is one word....management(or the lack of it).
I overheard a conference call a while back where all the managers in the area were on the line with the DSM. Never heard anything like it, talk about a bunch of arse lickers. The DSM plays off all the DOMs against each other, they really should all grow a backbone and stand up for themselves and their offices.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
I have managed and supervised in previous jobs and the management culture in RM is toxic in the extreme. Some of you may think that what I say next is arrogant, but its the truth: I couldn't manage in Royal Mail because my conscience wouldn't allow me to.
Quite right Teebs ......
If you want the respect of the workforce you are supposedly managing, never ask them to do something that you wouldn't do, >>> Not quite right. Circumstances can dictate what you can and cannot dot. That does not mean you are a bad manageror that you think is wrong.>>>> Agree ; never do something that is wrongBut probably just as important ....... be honest .......>>>> To me the most important point. Be honest. Most will accept that you are honest and hopefully telling the truth. By that you gain respect. But you must back up your words. i.e No Favourites. We all see it. Only certain people get overtime and worse only certain people get bullied
Not quite right ?
Hamps, i am stating my opinion on respect of managers, not quoting fact. I do not need my opinion altered, thank you.
Did not mean was altering your opinion. Just putting mine in. Apologies if you took it that way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.