ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

age discrimination

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: age discrimination

Post by Lazycarton »

I am 58 in March. Sat behind a desk (not the same one :Very Happy ) for 40 years until I was made redundant in January. Had high BP and on anti-depressants for years. Saw it coming and looked for postie job in the previous year, took a year to get an interview, but it all fell in nicely.

The other day I took my BP for the first time in ages - perfectly normal. Resting pulse rate was said by a Google search to be that of an athlete :nana

Yes, the round is hell - all steep steps and steep drives and is a daily challenge, but I now have the weight and figure of when I was 25 :dance
Bag of d2d
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 14:12
Gender: Male
Location: Capital

Re: age discrimination

Post by Bag of d2d »

hans solo wrote:dont dis them ,actually tried to defend them in our office due to mgmt bullying persons who claim ot and dont run round
we are not robots we do get older ,get slower , less mobile
and yes it is discrimination you are not allowed to get old with dignity ,mgmt use younger staff as a rod againt their elders its a fcukin disgrace and would hit courts in other european countries
Agreed. Made even worse when the runners come in early. I'm no slouch but I don't come in early and I don't run. If the dom gives me grief about my pace or ot, I cut off. Then its his problem, not mine.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: age discrimination

Post by fishtank »

The problem sometimes is not age or level of fitness.
I'm mid 40's been doing this for 20-ish years,more or less all on delivery and my general fitness levels are pretty good for my age.
However i've had operations on both knees,one of my ankles and my back isn't 100%.
I can still cut it on delivery but i think i might have another 5 years and that's it.
This job is very punishing on your joints in the long term,that should be understood by the 20 somethings.
Trolleys help...but not if they are lying in the office gathering dust obviously. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: age discrimination

Post by mailman71 »

i have been delivering for 41 years and its a toss up who's slower me or the snail who follows me round.
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: age discrimination

Post by flaminmoses »

One of my comebacks to a dom once was "if a footballer wasn't 100 fit its very unlikely he will play"

Adding to that re age....footballers in their 40s+ might play masters 5 a side but won't play a premiership game.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16733
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: age discrimination

Post by clashcityrocker »

flaminmoses wrote:One of my comebacks to a dom once was "if a footballer wasn't 100 fit its very unlikely he will play"

Adding to that re age....footballers in their 40s+ might play masters 5 a side but won't play a premiership game.
I blame Ryan Giggs.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: age discrimination

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:I blame Ryan Giggs.
As does his brother. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share