ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sickness Worries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postie814
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by postie814 »

Thanks guys. It's good to know I have some support somewhere.

The first thing I did was join the union. The rep was surprised when on the first day I asked for an application form. He usually waits a week until people settle and then hand them out.

I haven't spoken to my rep. I've been off now for the last week and a half. Should've got him involved from the start.


*Update*

I went back to my doctor and she was more than happy to give me another 4 weeks line with amended duties and a long paragraph explaining the benefits of avoiding walking great distances.

The Dom phoned and asked whether I could drive or walk and proposed I could help with PHG during the Christmas pressure, I declined to give my verdict and said that I would rather go by ATOSes referral and recommendation. He agreed but I do get a feeling they keep pressurising me to do something quick.

I have been referred to a physio and need to see where that takes me.


So far I just want this to be over. Fed up with the stress
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by krussel »

postie814 wrote:So far I just want this to be over. Fed up with the stress
I can imagine :sad:

Stick to your guns and take the docs advice. Dont give in to the pressure and over do things. If you deceide to go back in then take your full break during the day and get the weight off the ankle.

Best of luck.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
postie814
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by postie814 »

Dom gave me a letter today inviting me to a meeting over a first stage warning, Due to my absences.

However all my absences were covered by sick lines. Can they really give me a warning on my record for this?

Merry Xmas :roll:
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by TheCobra »

All I can say is, just say no, you have to be strong, stick to your guns, stick to your doctors note. If you can't say no in this company, then the managers will walk all over you.

End of the day it's your long term health on the line not their's, when you are walking with a permanent limp when you are older they won't be around and they certainly won't care.

I learnt from week 1 in this company, that we are simply a number, another tick in a box, another walk filled so the manager can go and have a brew. Don't think they care, because they truly don't. So treat them with what they deserve and how they treat us - with contempt.

If your injury needs rest and rehab, then that's what you do. I have had very nasty achilles problems, I got the union involved after being messed about by management and that helped.
Last edited by TheCobra on 06 Dec 2012, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by TheCobra »

postie814 wrote:Dom gave me a letter today inviting me to a meeting over a first stage warning, Due to my absences.

However all my absences were covered by sick lines. Can they really give me a warning on my record for this?

Merry Xmas :roll:
I think the smallprint goes something like, 'if the injury was caused by an accident at work, then they can't stage you'. Something liek that. Again get on phone to your union rep and they might shed some light on it.

Just sounds like more Royal Mail bullying to me!
tetley smooth
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 79
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 11:44
Gender: Male

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by tetley smooth »

postie814 wrote:Dom gave me a letter today inviting me to a meeting over a first stage warning, Due to my absences.

However all my absences were covered by sick lines. Can they really give me a warning on my record for this?

Merry Xmas :roll:
Short answer is yes they can and some mgrs would not think twice about it. You broke the agreed attendance standards end of.
So make sure you take your rep in with you for this. You should be able to spend a bit of time going through your absences with the rep before interview. A good rep will be able to identify the way you have been treated from start as wrong. Hopefully will get the warning not issued. When your lino asks for any mitigation as to why the warning should not be issued the rep should have a field day. Probably throw a few B+H and grievence threats in as well. You do need to stand up for yourself more tho. I always use the scenario of would you allow a member of your family to be treated like that before you react.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Sickness Worries

Post by DGP1 »

tetley smooth wrote:
postie814 wrote:Dom gave me a letter today inviting me to a meeting over a first stage warning, Due to my absences.

However all my absences were covered by sick lines. Can they really give me a warning on my record for this?

Merry Xmas :roll:
Short answer is yes they can and some mgrs would not think twice about it. You broke the agreed attendance standards end of.
So make sure you take your rep in with you for this. You should be able to spend a bit of time going through your absences with the rep before interview. A good rep will be able to identify the way you have been treated from start as wrong. Hopefully will get the warning not issued. When your lino asks for any mitigation as to why the warning should not be issued the rep should have a field day. Probably throw a few B+H and grievence threats in as well. You do need to stand up for yourself more tho. I always use the scenario of would you allow a member of your family to be treated like that before you react.
I wish it was really like that but in the DO you really are treated like s**t and you have to just accept it.........really is the difference between certain areas and the areas which the union will stand up for and the places where we're just thrown to the wolves :neutral:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

Sickness Worries

Post by Charliecat »

Sorry to jump on your post Postie 814 but since starting my HCT duty I have also had painful ankles with a lump developing on the back. Very painful in the mornings right into my calf. I assume it's Achilles tendinitis. I am worried too as I have only been in the job for 5 months so I assume they can sack me within the first 6 months. I am due to go to doctors and am worried I will need time off but I won't be paid sick pay until I have been with RM for a year. So so worried. Any advice is welcome x
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Sickness Worries

Post by Interested-seeker »

Charliecat wrote:Sorry to jump on your post Postie 814 but since starting my HCT duty I have also had painful ankles with a lump developing on the back. Very painful in the mornings right into my calf. I assume it's Achilles tendinitis. I am worried too as I have only been in the job for 5 months so I assume they can sack me within the first 6 months. I am due to go to doctors and am worried I will need time off but I won't be paid sick pay until I have been with RM for a year. So so worried. Any advice is welcome x
Hi, how are you getting on? I ask because I've been doctors today and he said that I have achilles tendinopathy.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Sickness Worries

Post by Justanotherstar »

Charliecat wrote:Sorry to jump on your post Postie 814 but since starting my HCT duty I have also had painful ankles with a lump developing on the back. Very painful in the mornings right into my calf. I assume it's Achilles tendinitis. I am worried too as I have only been in the job for 5 months so I assume they can sack me within the first 6 months. I am due to go to doctors and am worried I will need time off but I won't be paid sick pay until I have been with RM for a year. So so worried. Any advice is welcome x

I'm sure he won't mind considering this thread is 6 years old... :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
chuckychucks
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
Gender: Male

Sickness Worries

Post by chuckychucks »

Holy thread reincarnation Batman :chuckle